[comp.sys.mac] DeskTop video

martin@verity (07/07/89)

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this but here
goes....

I am starting to get interested in Video again and have heard of DeskTop
video.

	1.  What exactly is desktop video?

	2.  What would I need to set myself up?

	3.  What kind of system would be the best?
		I hope I do not set off too many religious wars :-)

						----Martin----
----Martin L. W. Hall---- Verity, Inc.
Software QA Manager (415) 960-7634
Internet: martin@verity.com MCI Mail: mlwhall	GENIE: mlwh	BIX: sphinx

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (07/08/89)

In article <8396@zodiac.ADS.COM>, martin@verity writes:

> I am starting to get interested in Video again and have heard of DeskTop
> video.
>
> 	1.  What exactly is desktop video?

From Apple's "Desktop Video Workstation" brochure:

The Desktop Video Workstation allows you to combine real-time video images
and still video images with computer-generated graphics and text, and to
display them on a composite NTSC monitor.  This means you can create videotapes
that integrate computer-generated graphics, animation, and sound with real-time
video sequences and still video images.
    Videotape presentations provide the audience with a more realistic
experience of the subject matter.  When incorporated with computer graphics,
text, and animation, they also help to illustrate specific points and to
highlight and reinforce key concepts.
    With the capabilities of the Desktop Video Workstation, you can easily
distribute customized videotape materials whenever and wherever they are
needed.

> 	2.  What would I need to set myself up?

From the same brochure:

A computer.  Of course Apple recommends a Macintosh II (expansion boards are
    needed).  A hard disk and additional RAM may also be needed to store,
    create, or paly memory-intensive animations or graphics programs.
Video overlay board.  A video overlay board has an input for composite NTSC
    video.  It also has output for composite NTSC video and possibly RGB
    video.  The Macintosh video signal is placed over the NTSC signal, and
    both signals are sent to a video monitor and/or videocassette recorder.
    A video overlay board may also be able to digitize an incoming color
    video image.  Some video overlay boards will not work without the Apple
    Macintosh II video card.  Other video overlay boards will perform without
    such a card.
Video input sources.  Sounds pretty obvious to me.
Master videocassette recorder.  Use a high-quality videocassette recorder to
    record the master tape.
Audiovisual cables.  Also obvious.
Television monitor.  Straight-forward here as well.

Apple lists the following video overlay boards:
    ColorSpace II by Mass Microsystems
    ColorSpace FX, also by Mass Microsystems
    Genlock Converter by Julian systems

> 	3.  What kind of system would be the best?
> 		I hope I do not set off too many religious wars :-)

That is for you to decide.  To me, a Mac looks like a good solution.  But I
am biased.

> ----Martin L. W. Hall---- Verity, Inc.

Overall, this brochure is very useful.  Ask your dealer if he or she can
get you a copy of it.  Here are some other useful Apple brochures that just
came out (I included the video workstation and its part number as well):

"Desktop Video Workstation."  Apple part number M0074LL/A
"Interactive Videodisk Workstation."  Apple part number M0070LL/A
"Interactive Presentation Workstation."  Apple part number M0072LL/A

-Michael

p.s.  I paraphrased parts of the above from the brochure.  Apple would not
      write in such a manner.  Also, although Apple products are featured
      in these brochures, they are useful even if you are looking at another
      system.  These brochures tell you what equipment and software you will
      be needing, and what you can do with that equipment and software.  The
      information content overweighs the commercial info.

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu