[comp.sys.mac] Need switch settings for ImageWriter LQ

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (07/07/89)

I'm beyond frustration at this point trying to get our LQ to work right.
I thought the new version of the printer (which took 3 months to come)
would fix our problems, but it didn't.  And Apple sent the _old_
software with the printer (a problem acknowledged by AppleTech) so i
didn't get the HyperStack called "Setting up your LQ."  The dealer has
been of no help ("What's an ImageWriter LQ?") and AppleTech said they'd
send the new disks, but they didn't.  I understand the file's on
AppleLink, so if any kind soul would care to download it and e-mail it
to me...

Anyway, the problem is this:  The top margin works properly for
automatic feed paper (using push tractor) with one setting of SW2-8
(can't remember which way) and fine for hand feed the other way.  If I
set it so that auto-feed works right, i get an extra 1" margin on top of
hand-feed paper (and none at the bottom).  If i set SW2-8 so that hand
feed works right, there is no margin at the top of auto feed print jobs.

Can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong?
--

                                               - Scott

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (07/07/89)

In article <9285@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) writes:
#>I'm beyond frustration at this point trying to get our LQ to work right.
#>I thought the new version of the printer (which took 3 months to come)
#>would fix our problems, but it didn't.  And Apple sent the _old_
#>software with the printer (a problem acknowledged by AppleTech) so i
#>didn't get the HyperStack called "Setting up your LQ."  The dealer has
#>been of no help ("What's an ImageWriter LQ?") and AppleTech said they'd
#>send the new disks, but they didn't.  I understand the file's on
#>AppleLink, so if any kind soul would care to download it and e-mail it
#>to me...
#>
#>Anyway, the problem is this:  The top margin works properly for
#>automatic feed paper (using push tractor) with one setting of SW2-8
#>(can't remember which way) and fine for hand feed the other way.  If I
#>set it so that auto-feed works right, i get an extra 1" margin on top of
#>hand-feed paper (and none at the bottom).  If i set SW2-8 so that hand
#>feed works right, there is no margin at the top of auto feed print jobs.
#>
#>Can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong?
#>--
#>
#>                                               - Scott

I can't tell you what you're doing wrong, but I can tell you
that the HyperCard stack "Using Your ImageWriter LQ" probably
won't help. If you have an old version of HyperCard, you'll
have to upgrade it just to read the stack. The only reference
to the switch is in the troubleshooting menu in which it
advices that switch SW2-8 should be set down as a solution
if the printing starts on the platen or the previous page.

However, if you self-test the printer, the first thing it
does is to print out the settings of the switches. But
you apparently know which switch controls the paper
position already. So actually, I think I can tell you what
you're doing wrong, which is nothing. The switch is supposed
to be set differently depending on which kind of paper you're
using. If you are constantly switching, you will have to
constantly move the switch. At least, that's how I read
the instructions.

Incidentally, someone not too long ago said that the LQ
should always be left on to ensure that it uses all four
bands of a black ribbon. According to the stack, black
ribbons have a tab which moves the printhead down one
band per page. I presume that such movement is thus
not dependent on leaving the printer on.

Steve Goldfield

P.S. I'm surprised that you didn't get the right software.
Apple sent me a brand-new printer in a brand-new box with
a manual and disks. Does this mean that they are putting
old manuals and disks in with new printers?

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (07/08/89)

In article <26071@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>P.S. I'm surprised that you didn't get the right software.
>Apple sent me a brand-new printer in a brand-new box with
>a manual and disks. Does this mean that they are putting
>old manuals and disks in with new printers?

According to Sue Gooden at AppleTech (sp?), some printers went out with
the old disks.  The driver is the same, though, version 2.0.  The manual
is the same as the original version.
--

                                               - Scott