[comp.sys.mac] Complaint about LaCie Ltd promise

makmur@hardees.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) (06/30/89)

Did any one aout there ever heard of SILVER PLATTER ??
Did any one ever see one ??
If so, can you please tell me how you get it ?

Thanks
Hanz Makmur
---------------

The reason for asking the whole world was this:

About 3 months ago, i saw a lot of ads on most Mac magazine concerning
LaCie hard disk. I also read review from the net and those magazines that
the drive is a good drive.

Because of the good reviews and promising ads, I order 2 Lacie drives with
the deal that i should get the SILVER PLATTER with each drive I buy.

When I received the drive, i then realize that the silver platter doesnot
come with package. Curious with what happen, i called the Lacie Ltd.
The answer that i got was " send your registration and we will send you
the Silver Platter in 30 days."   "Wonderfull," I said.

About 6 weeks after sending the registration, the silver platter still
did not arrive. I then called the company again and asked why .
After explaining the reason i am calling, the receptionist then tell me
that the product is still in back order and will be send to me in about
30 days. I then started to get upset.

Two weeks after the previous called, i gave another call.
This time, i got a different respond, they says that they dont have the
product and dont know when they are going to have it and they even asked me
the name of the receptionist who told me that 30 days promise.

Wonderfull huh !!!

The receptionist then direct me to another person who then tell me that
this is not his responsibility and direct me to another person and
who at the time was not there. A different lady then ask me if i want
to leave a message and I did.  A week passed by still no one has answer
my call.
--------------
So .... what can I do ???
Wait and let the LaCie play do what ever they want ??

I wonder why those monthly and weekly magazine gave a good review
about Lacie... I really wonder...

I also wonder why they let this company promise thru their magazine
and did not even check if the company  can deliver what they promise.

I really wonder...
------
Please tell me if you hear any thing about the Silver Platter.
I got tired of waiting

Hanz Makmur
Rutgers University

cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) (07/06/89)

In article <Jun.29.16.39.51.1989.23755@hardees.rutgers.edu> makmur@hardees.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) writes:
>Did any one aout there ever heard of SILVER PLATTER ??
>Did any one ever see one ??
>If so, can you please tell me how you get it ?

I'm aware of a package of theirs called "Silver Lining", which allows hard
disks to be shared across a network.  Is this the software you mean?

--Cy--

makmur@hardees.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) (07/07/89)

= I'm aware of a package of theirs called "Silver Lining", which allows
= hard disks to be shared across a network.  Is this the software you mean?
= --Cy-

The Silver Platter is a hardware that is widely advertised in MacWeek,
MacWorld Etc..
The hardware supposedly works like NETSERIAL form Shiva.
But as of now, it seems that no one knows about it.
So far, i have no respond from any one else but you.

Thanks any way. If you have some news about it, please let me know.

------------
Hanz Makmur

davidl@intelob.intel.com (David Levine) (07/08/89)

In article <Jul.6.18.46.00.1989.10090@hardees.rutgers.edu> makmur@hardees.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) writes:
>= I'm aware of a package of theirs called "Silver Lining", which allows
>= hard disks to be shared across a network.  Is this the software you mean?
>= --Cy-
>
>The Silver Platter is a hardware that is widely advertised in MacWeek,
>MacWorld Etc..
>The hardware supposedly works like NETSERIAL form Shiva.
>But as of now, it seems that no one knows about it.
>So far, i have no respond from any one else but you.

I think you're both a little mixed up.  SilverLining is a software program
that does basic hard disk management, such as dividing your hard disk into
separate volumes, write-locking and password-protecting each volume, testing
and initializing the hard disk, etc.  SilverPlatter is a different software
program that allows hard disks to be shared across a network.  Both are
supposed to come free when you buy a Cirrus hard disk; you can also buy the
two of them for around $100.  Again, both are SOFTWARE.

I got my Cirrus hard disk before SilverPlatter was written, and I didn't
feel like paying to upgrade when SilverPlatter came out (I have a single
Mac, not a network), so I can't tell you anything more about it.
SilverLining, though, is the best Mac hard disk management program I know.

            David D. Levine                BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNN  NNNN TM
        Senior Technical Writer            BBBB  BBBB iiii iiii NNNN NNNN
                                           BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNNNNNNN
UUCP: ...[!uunet]!tektronix!biin!davidl    BBBB  BBBB IIII IIII NNNN NNNN
MX-Internet: <davidl@intelob.intel.com>    BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNN  NNN
ARPA: <@iwarp.intel.com:davidl@intelob.intel.com>

makmur@hardees.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) (07/09/89)

In the previous articles : davidl@intelob.intel.com (David Levine) writes:

>I think you're both a little mixed up....

I dont think so.See the ads on MacWeek Vol 3 No.4 24 January 1989 p.37

>SilverPlatter is a different software program that allows
>hard disks to be shared across a network.  Both are supposed to
>come free when you buy a Cirrus hard disk; you can also
>buy the two of them for around $100.  Again, both are SOFTWARE.

Wrong again.!
Let me quote one of the ads on MacWeek Vol 3 No.4 24 January 1989 p.37:
	"We nclude a rugged Condura (TM) CARRYING CASE, our SILVERLINING
	 high performance hard disk utility and SILVERSERVER software for local
	 and  remote hard disk sharing.
	 We'll also throw in SILVERPLATTER so you can share most serial
	 devices on your LocalTalk Network. In all a $185 value-FREE."

So you see when you buy the Cirrus drive, you will get 4 things FREE:
1. Carrying case.
2. SilverLining - hard disk utilities.
   ( I agree.. this is the best hard disk utility ever made. !)
3. SilverServer - this allows hard disks to be shared across a
   network.
4. SilverPlatter - this allows most serial devices on your LotalTalk
   network.

I only received 1,2 and 3 and It has been more then 2 months since
Cirrus promises to deliver the Silver Platter.
Surprisingly, not many know that they should get 4 free goodies when
they buy they drive. In other words, not many know what they should be
getting and the Cirrus ltd. should be very happy about it.

I wonder if the publisher of the Mac magazines ever wonder if the
advertiser ever fulfill what they promise in their magazines.
Hanz Makmur