[comp.sys.mac] Help needed - Mac II ADB fuse??!!

phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (07/07/89)

Any technical people out there know where the ADB fuse is located on a
Mac II motherboard? (if indeed it's there at all).  Someone told me of
a Mac II that they had seen which sometimes on power-up freezes the
mouse in the top right-hand corner of thg screen.  Oncve this has
happened the only thing that will unfreeze it is to replace the motherboard!
(Or so I was told).  Supposedly everything has been changed (except
strangely enough for the Mouse and Keyboard - the first thing that I would
have changed) so it isn't software on the system disk, or motherboard
problems or anything.  Has anyone else heard of this happening?  Is it the
ADB fuse?  What would cause that to go so easily?  If I get any answers
and anyone is interested in hearingthe results I will summarise them to
the net.

Phil Jimmieson,           ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,   *                                                 *
Liverpool University,     * JANET : PHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA                   *
PO Box 147                * ARPA  : PHIL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
Liverpool  L69  3BX       *                                                 *
(UK) 051-794-3689         ***************************************************

steveg@tove.umd.edu (Steve Green) (07/10/89)

In article <8702@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk> phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:
>Any technical people out there know where the ADB fuse is located on a
>Mac II motherboard? (if indeed it's there at all).  Someone told me of
>a Mac II that they had seen which sometimes on power-up freezes the
>mouse in the top right-hand corner of thg screen.  Oncve this has
>happened the only thing that will unfreeze it is to replace the motherboard!
>(Or so I was told).  Supposedly everything has been changed (except
>strangely enough for the Mouse and Keyboard - the first thing that I would
>have changed) so it isn't software on the system disk, or motherboard
>problems or anything.  Has anyone else heard of this happening?  Is it the
>ADB fuse?  What would cause that to go so easily?  If I get any answers
>and anyone is interested in hearingthe results I will summarise them to
>the net.

	yes, there does exist an ADB fuse except it is soldered on to the
motherbord.  It is located near the ports and it is a little green part.  There
is another one on the board near the scsi port.
As I recall, the value is a 2.5 amp and replacement fuses can be purchased at
most electronic shops.  If you decide to replace the fuse, you had better to
a real good job or if someday, you have to swap the board, your apple dealer
may not accept it.  My suggestion is to purchase the fuse, solder some small
clips to the ends, and clip the fuse to the old one.  CAUTION.  Make sure that
there is not exposed metal on the fuse, and be sure to buy the clips that
retract so in the event that the clip falls off, it wont short anything out.
Good luck, and of course, I or anybody I know is not responsable for anything
that may happen and/or my spelling.
					steveg@tove.umd.edu