[comp.sys.mac] Resource merger/locator

dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) (07/08/89)

Last night, I was messing around with the ColorFinder INIT, and
noticed how annoying it is to have to use ResEdit to copy the
cicn/ICN# pairs, especially when the resource numbers may have to
be changed.  Also, it was quite a job to locate files with cicn
resources already in them.

Today, I saw that Dave Platt had sent another version of ColorFinder
to Sumex, and that he suspects that this new version has more
icons.

It would sure be nice to have some software that would merge the
resources of a given type from one file into another.  Also, it
would be nice to have a program that would search the system for
files with a given resource type.

Any help?  (The statement "write it yourself, David" is acceptable
if you have any quick hints for me.)

--
David Elliott		dce@Solbourne.COM
			...!{boulder,nbires,sun}!stan!dce

ching@pepsi.amd.com (Mike Ching) (07/09/89)

In article <1568@marvin.Solbourne.COM> dce@Solbourne.com (David Elliott) writes:
>Last night, I was messing around with the ColorFinder INIT, and
>noticed how annoying it is to have to use ResEdit to copy the
>cicn/ICN# pairs, especially when the resource numbers may have to
>be changed.

Ditto. It would really help if Open General in ResEdit would sort the
resources in numerical order so that the cicn and ICN# lists could be
easily compared/maintained. It would be even better to be able to just
extract the B/W icon from the cicn and paste it into the ICN#. CIconEdit
can create cicn's from ICN#'s but requires selection by resource number
and having both it and ResEdit running crashes occasionally.

It's a great hack...ResEdit's Jack-in-the-box in color is how it should
have been all along. Hopefully Apple will support color icons in the
future and we won't have to do all this work.

mike ching

shulman@sdr.slb.com (Jeff Shulman) (07/10/89)

In article <1568@marvin.Solbourne.COM> dce@Solbourne.com (David Elliott) writes:
>Also, it
>would be nice to have a program that would search the system for
>files with a given resource type.
>
>David Elliott		dce@Solbourne.COM
>			...!{boulder,nbires,sun}!stan!dce

My VirusDetective DA does *exactly* that!  Just add

	Resource cicn & Any

to the list of search strings of version 3.0.1 and it will find all
files that have any cicn resources.

                                                        Jeff
--
uucp:     ...rutgers!yale!slb-sdr!shulman
CSNet:    SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM