From: hal@cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins)
Subject: Re: Full Page Displays

One gotcha that you might want to watch out for is the number of dots per
inch on the screen.  Lots of displays have the same 72dpi density of the
normal SE screen, but some of them have 85dpi or 90dpi or so.  With the
higher density you get better resolution, particularly for graphics.  But
you also get text that is smaller -- things that are n pixels wide aren't
as big on the screen.  I find that 10 point type is pretty scrunched on
a 90dpi screen, but some folks like it.  So take a look before you buy to
avoid surprises.

Hal Perkins               hal@cs.cornell.edu
Cornell CS

From mha@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU Wed Jun 28 17:43:18 1989
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 89 20:43:45 EDT

The Cornerstone display is nice at first glance, but for serious use,
you'll soon find that its refresh rate is too slow and its image
quality is lacking.

--
Mark H. Anbinder        ************************** mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
Baka Industries                                 ** (biar!)memory!mha.uucp

From sandrock@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu Tue Jul  4 11:49:20 1989

Brad,
just to mention that I bought the Radius FPD for my Mac Plus about
a month ago, and think it's fantastic!  Their prices recently came
down a bit, so my FPD was "only" $1100 + tax at Computerland.
Hope this helps.
Mark Sandrock

From: peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele)
Date: 29 Jun 89 11:23:35 GMT

Avoid Network Specialties and Nutmeg. Both use a Xerox monitor and
although it does work (I'm using it now), it has 90dpi only and
the monitor causes interferance on the Mac screen. Also, the screen
has very persistent phosphor which causes "ghosts" to appear on any
black background. Network Specialties is also about the worst
company I've ever dealt with. I here they may be filing for Chapter 11
soon anyway.

One I would recommend is the Pageview SE from Sigma Designs. It has
three pixel densities (72, 80, 100) and I've seen it listed for
around $850 mail order ($999 list).

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

Brad Hedstrom, University of Victoria, ECE Dept.
Internet:  hedstrom@sirius.uvic.ca
UUCP:   ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!hedstrom