[comp.sys.mac] Dumping Postscript to Disk rather than sending to printer?

sbchanin@hathor (sbchanin) (06/21/89)

I have been told that it is possible to get the normal LaserWriter print drivers
to dump the postscript they generate to a disk file rather than send it out over
Appletalk to the printer.  Supposedly all that is required is that the File...
print menu item be selected while you are holding down some obscure key
combination.

If this is not true, is there any other general way to get programs to print
postscript to disk rather than to the printer (i.e. a DA, INIT, etc).

Thanks in advance for any help,

Steve

DOMAIN: sbchanin@sj.ate.slb.com (for the adventurous)
UUCP:   {amdahl,decwrl,uunet}!sjsca4!sbchanin  INTERNET: sbchanin%sjs@sdr.slb.com
PHONE:  408-437-5178
USMAIL: Steven Chanin, Schlumberger Technologies, 1601 Technology Drive,
        San Jose, CA 95110

MSR104@PSUVMXA.BITNET (Mike Rineer) (06/28/89)

In article <1105@snjsn1.SJ.ATE.SLB.COM>, sbchanin@hathor (sbchanin) says:

>I have been told that it is possible to get the normal LaserWriter print drivers
>to dump the postscript they generate to a disk file rather than send it out over
>Appletalk to the printer.  Supposedly all that is required is that the File...
>print menu item be selected while you are holding down some obscure key
>combination.

There is only one way I've heard how to do this:

      In MSWord version 3.02, select 'Print' from the file menu.
      Hold down <COMMAND>-F and click on the 'OK' button.
      It should then generate a postscript file on your disk.

If ya don't have MSWord, then you're S.O.L.
(at least according to my limited knowledge).

--MIke
-------
*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-
Michael S. Rineer                   |  "I would just as soon eat my own ear
BITNET:  msr104@psuvm               *   wax.  And we all know how horrid
ARPANET: msr104@psuvm.psu.edu       |   that tastes, right kids?"
         msr104@psusun01.psu.edu    *
UUCP: {akgua,allegra,ihnp4,cbosgd}- |           -- Rik
      !psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!msr104  *              The Young Ones

tempest@wet.UUCP (Ken Lui) (06/29/89)

In article <1105@snjsn1.SJ.ATE.SLB.COM> sbchanin@sj.ate.slb.com (Steve Chanin) writes:
>I have been told that it is possible to get the normal LaserWriter print drivers
>to dump the postscript they generate to a disk file rather than send it out over
>Appletalk to the printer.  Supposedly all that is required is that the File...
>print menu item be selected while you are holding down some obscure key
>combination.

When you select LaserWriter, and do a Print..., hold down CMD-F
*immeditately* after you press the OK button.  It should create a
PostScript file in your root directory.  I haven't done this in
quite a while, so I don't remember what it writes exactly.  I
beliefe this CMD-F trick will write the code that comes from
LaserPrep also.  There's another CMD option that you can make and
it will exclude the stuff from LaserPrep; I believe it is
CMD-D--I'm not sure.

I hope this helped a little bit.

     Kenneth K.F. Lui	   |  UUCP:	...{ucsfcca|claris}!wet!tempest
     tempest@wet.UUCP	   |  Internet:	cca.ucsf.edu!wet!tempest@cgl.ucsf.edu
			   |	-or- 	claris!wet!tempest@ames.arc.nasa.gov

sarrel@canoe.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) (06/29/89)

CMD-F gives a PS file without the laser prep stuff and CMD-K gives a
PS file with the laser prep stuff.

--marc
-=-
"Master, why is the letter 'i' the symbol for current?"  "Because there is
no letter 'i' in the word 'current'."  "Master, why do we use the letter
'j' for sqrt(-1)?"  "Because we use the letter 'i' for current."  Whereupon
the Master struck the Disciple, and the Disciple became enlightened.

eric@csdev.Challenger.COM (Eric Huppertz) (06/30/89)

Immediately after clicking the OK button in the print dialog,
press and hold command-F until it says 'creating postscript(r)
file.'  This creates a text file which can then be downloaded
by any PS downloader.

freek@mel.fwi.uva.nl (Freek Wiedijk) (07/01/89)

In article <1277@csdev.Challenger.COM> eric@csdev.Challenger.COM (Eric
Huppertz) writes:
>Immediately after clicking the OK button in the print dialog, press
>and hold command-F until it says 'creating postscript(r) file.'

Also, in that same print dialog (i.e. DITL ID = -8191) of the
LaserWriter (I use version 5.2), there is a check box (item #22) that
says "Disk File".  However, it is very cleverly hidden (at the
origin).

	Greetings, Freek.

Freek "the Pistol Major" Wiedijk                  UUCP: uunet!fwi.uva.nl!freek
#P:+/ = #+/P?*+/ = i<<*+/P?*+/ = +/i<<**P?*+/ = +/(i<<*P?)*+/ = +/+/(i<<*P?)**

afoster@ogccse.ogc.edu (Allan Foster) (07/03/89)

In article <89179.113948MSR104@PSUVMXA> MSR104@PSUVMXA.BITNET (Mike Rineer) writes:
>There is only one way I've heard how to do this:
>
>      In MSWord version 3.02, select 'Print' from the file menu.
>      Hold down <COMMAND>-F and click on the 'OK' button.
>      It should then generate a postscript file on your disk.
>
>If ya don't have MSWord, then you're S.O.L.
>(at least according to my limited knowledge).

Not True,

This little trick will work on anything that uses the
standard Laserwriter driver.

By the way, command -F and Command K will both work,
one gives you the laserPrep file included, the other
does not.

Regards

Allan Foster
GURU
afoster@cse.ogc.edu

--
Allan Foster      UUCP  : tektronix!ogcvax!afoster
CSNet : afoster@cse.ogc.edu      GEnie  : A.FOSTER

gilbertd@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (07/03/89)

In article <758@janus.UUCP> freek@fwi.uva.nl (Freek Wiedijk) writes:
[deleted...]
>Also, in that same print dialog (i.e. DITL ID = -8191) of the
>LaserWriter (I use version 5.2), there is a check box (item #22) that
>says "Disk File".  However, it is very cleverly hidden (at the
>origin).

Hey, thanks much, Freek, for finding that hidden gem of
some nameless apple programmer.  I've incorporated it into
myPageSetup 1.2 program, which now will put a _visible_
"Disk File" check box on your Laserwriter job dialog.  Now
you all can forget about this command-F jive and just click
the box when you want a postscript file of your print job.
  I've mailed "my-page-set-12.hqx" to infomac archives.  If some
kind soul wants to echo it to comp.binaries.mac for me, or tell
me how to post there, we'll get it passed around.

-- Don
gilbertd@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

jlh@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (07/03/89)

in article <89179.113948MSR104@PSUVMXA>, MSR104@PSUVMXA.BITNET (Mike Rineer) says:

> In article <1105@snjsn1.SJ.ATE.SLB.COM>, sbchanin@hathor (sbchanin) says:
>>
>>I have been told that it is possible to get the normal LaserWriter print drivers
>>to dump the postscript they generate to a disk file rather than send it out over
> There is only one way I've heard how to do this:
>
>       In MSWord version 3.02, select 'Print' from the file menu.
>       Hold down <COMMAND>-F and click on the 'OK' button.
>       It should then generate a postscript file on your disk.
>
> If ya don't have MSWord, then you're S.O.L.

As far as I know, the command-f trick will work from the Print dialog box
with almost all Macintosh applications. It's not limited to Word. If there
are any exceptions, I haven't heard of them...

Jan Harrington
Scholastech Telecommunications
husc6!stech!jlh or allegra!stech!jlh

	Miscellaneous profundidity:
		"No matter where you go, there you are..."
			Buckaroo Banzai

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (07/04/89)

In article <89179.113948MSR104@PSUVMXA> MSR104@PSUVMXA.BITNET (Mike Rineer) writes:
>There is only one way I've heard how to do this:
>
>      In MSWord version 3.02, select 'Print' from the file menu.
>      Hold down <COMMAND>-F and click on the 'OK' button.
>      It should then generate a postscript file on your disk.
>
>If ya don't have MSWord, then you're S.O.L.
>(at least according to my limited knowledge).
                           ^^^^^^^
Actually, _any_ program which uses the LaserWriter driver can create a
PostScript file in this manner.
--

                                               - Scott

kessler@applelink.apple.com (Todd Kessler) (07/04/89)

In article <9250@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
(Scott Englander) writes:
> >      Hold down <COMMAND>-F and click on the 'OK' button.

In fact, you don't need to hold down the CMD key at all.  Immediately
after clicking OK, press "F" or "K" and you will get the "creating
postscript file" message.  BTW, this doesn't work if background printing
is enabled.  Also, as someone posted earlier, K will include laser prep
header, whereas F will not ( I think that's how it is...I can never keep
that straight!).

Todd

These are my own opinions and do not represent those of my employer.

harvey@dtrc.arpa (Harvey) (07/04/89)

In article <217@wet.UUCP> tempest@wet.UUCP (Ken Lui) writes:
>When you select LaserWriter, and do a Print..., hold down CMD-F
>*immeditately* after you press the OK button.  It should create a
>PostScript file in your root directory.  I haven't done this in
>quite a while, so I don't remember what it writes exactly.  I
>beliefe this CMD-F trick will write the code that comes from
>LaserPrep also.  There's another CMD option that you can make and
>it will exclude the stuff from LaserPrep; I believe it is
>CMD-D--I'm not sure.

The key sequence is CMD-K. However, there are some Laserwriter
dependent commands within the file that needs to be stripped out
of the file if you want to print it on a non-Laserwriter postscript
printer.  I found a SED (Unix Stream Editor) file that strips the
file nicely.  I have been able to print the stripped file on both
a NEC 890 and DEC LN03R printer by running the file through this
editor.  Its a pain-in-the-neck process, but it works.  Anyone
who deals with Government procurement knows that it takes at least
6 months to get a simple cable.

If anyone wants the SED file, I will be glad to e-mail it to you.
Just let me know.

Betty Harvey                | Arpanet:  <harvey@dtrc.arpa> or
Microcomputer Support Group |          harvey@nems.arpa or
David Taylor Rsearch Center |          cabt@dtvms.arpa

jh@ist.CO.UK (Jeremy Huxtable) (07/04/89)

I know all about Command-F and K, but my problem is slightly different.
I want to produce PostScript files on my Mac at home, where I have
all the software, and then take them to work to print out, where they
have the LaserWriter, but not the software. I tried installing the
LaserWriter driver and doing Command-F, but the driver insists that
a real LaserWriter is present before it will do anything. Is there
any way round this?

Thanks,

Jeremy Huxtable.

sarrel@dinghy.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) (07/06/89)

In article <2290@istop.ist.CO.UK> jh@ist.CO.UK (Jeremy Huxtable) writes:
   I want to produce PostScript files on my Mac at home, where I have
   all the software, and then take them to work to print out, where they
   have the LaserWriter, but not the software. I tried installing the
   LaserWriter driver and doing Command-F, but the driver insists that
   a real LaserWriter is present before it will do anything. Is there
   any way round this?

Well, when you print on your Mac at home, you not only have to install
the laserwriter driver, but lie to you mac and use the chooser to say
you have a laserwriter installed.  Tell it that Appletalk is indeed
hooked up (make sure your imagewriter is turned off) and then heed its
warning to do a page setup so that it can reformat your document for
the laserwriter.

Then I think there is a program from Adobe that will allow you to
download a postscript file to a laserwriter at work.  I'm not sure of
the details, though, I've never used it.  Or, if you have a UNIX
system you can use a program called macps (avail from
sumex.stanford.edu) that will send your mac generated ps file to a
postscript printer hooked up to UNIX.  Get macps, install it, and try
to use it before you ask me any questions... :-)
-=-

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (07/06/89)

In article <2627@internal.Apple.COM> kessler@applelink.apple.com (Todd Kessler) writes:
>... Immediately
>after clicking OK, press "F" or "K" and you will get the "creating
>postscript file" message. ...

	I could never remember which keys do this; I don't use it very
often.  But now you've shown me a great mnemonic:

	F * * K

--- "Where's my other sock?"  A. Einstein

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260

UUCP: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza		GEnie: jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET		Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu

daniel@vicorp.UUCP (Daniel Dee) (07/06/89)

In article <1277@csdev.Challenger.COM> eric@csdev.Challenger.COM (Eric Huppertz) writes:

>Immediately after clicking the OK button in the print dialog,
>press and hold command-F until it says 'creating postscript(r)
>file.'  This creates a text file which can then be downloaded
>by any PS downloader.

I can't seem to get this method to work. I have System Version 6.02
and I am using WriteNow and MacWrite when I did this. I also tried
option-F too. Is there a better way to do this? Has anybody written
a "printer" driver that prints to a file instead of a printer so that
I can take the postscript output and print it on, say, a Sun with lpr.
Thanks for any info.

-- daniel (ddee@vicorp.uu.net)

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (07/07/89)

In article <5169@vicorp.UUCP> daniel@sunra.UUCP (Daniel Dee) writes:
>In article <1277@csdev.Challenger.COM> eric@csdev.Challenger.COM (Eric Huppertz) writes:
>>
>>Immediately after clicking the OK button in the print dialog,
>>press and hold command-F until it says 'creating postscript(r)
>>file.'  This creates a text file which can then be downloaded
>>by any PS downloader.
>
>I can't seem to get this method to work. I have System Version 6.02
>and I am using WriteNow and MacWrite when I did this. I also tried
>option-F too. Is there a better way to do this? Has anybody written
>a "printer" driver that prints to a file instead of a printer so that
>I can take the postscript output and print it on, say, a Sun with lpr.
>Thanks for any info.
>
>-- daniel (ddee@vicorp.uu.net)

Make sure you have background printing turned off.  You also have only
about two seconds to press CMD-F once you've clicked "OK", and you
should hold the keys down until you see the "Creating PostScript file"
message.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) (07/08/89)

In article <SARREL.89Jul5140709@dinghy.cis.ohio-state.edu> sarrel@dinghy.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) writes:
>In article <2290@istop.ist.CO.UK> jh@ist.CO.UK (Jeremy Huxtable) writes:
>   I want to produce PostScript files on my Mac at home, where I have
>   all the software, and then take them to work to print out, where they
>   have the LaserWriter, but not the software. ...

>Well, when you print on your Mac at home, you not only have to install
>the laserwriter driver, but lie to you mac and use the chooser to say
>you have a laserwriter installed.  ...

Strictly speaking I don't think the suggestion below is a postscript
solution (I think it uses quickdraw), but it will work for the task
you have (printing laserwriter files at home):

One alternative is to use Glue (or SuperGlue, a more feature-ful
version of Glue).  [You couldn't tell from their ads that this is what
they're good for, but it is indeed the case.]  Glue provides another
printer driver, called ImageSaver, which you select in Chooser.  Then
when you print, after answering all the other questions, a dialog box
comes up for you to specify a file name of where the output should go.
It also provides an application (& DA with SuperGlue) with which you
can view the output on screen.  I've used SuperGlue for three
purposes:
        - producing laserwriter output at home (take the file in to
                work, print it there -- I've done my MacInTax output
                this way)
        - getting text output from programs that insist on printing
                only and refuse to produce output in files.
                (SuperViewer only will extract text from program output)
	- previewing output for proofreading purposes without having
		to print it out.  This is slow but is usually accurate
		enough.

Dumping postscript to files by cmd-f,k will work also, but Glue & SuperGlue
provide a nice framework in which to do this.

Margot Flowers
Flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU
...!(uunet,rutgers,ucbvax,randvax)!cs.ucla.edu!flowers

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (07/08/89)

>In article <2627@internal.Apple.COM> kessler@applelink.apple.com (Todd Kessler) writes:
>>... Immediately
>>after clicking OK, press "F" or "K" and you will get the "creating
>>postscript file" message. ...

  OK. After all this discussion, I found myself needing a PS dump of a
Word document. Guess what: Microsoft Word 3.02 uses its OWN Laserwriter
dialog, in which cmd-F is trapped in order to toggle a printing option
checkbox! Instead of "Creating PostScript(R) file", I always got a
"Looking for Laserwriter IINT..." dialog.

  I've used the cmd-F and cmd-K tricks successfully in other applications,
but these used the standard LW print dialog. If anyone knows how to get
it to work within Word 3.02 (or 4.0), please tell us how you did it! I
suspect that the previous posters (as I did) assumed the ps disk dump
worked in Word, without actually having tried it. :-(

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) (07/08/89)

In article <SARREL.89Jul5140709@dinghy.cis.ohio-state.edu> sarrel@dinghy.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) writes:
>the details, though, I've never used it.  Or, if you have a UNIX
>system you can use a program called macps (avail from
>sumex.stanford.edu) that will send your mac generated ps file to a
>postscript printer hooked up to UNIX.  Get macps, install it, and try
>to use it before you ask me any questions... :-)
>-=-

	Ok, I did this.  I created a file with my test text in it.  I printed
	it with cmd-F to get the prolog-less postscript file.
	I also dumped the file with the prolog. I printed a
	blank document (all this MS Word) with the cmd-K option to get
	the laserprep file.  I downloaded both to my sun 3/60.  Then
	I ran the prepfix program to munge the laserprep file, installed
	in the correct directory along with the macps.config file.

	When I dump the file with the prolog to the LaserWriter IINT, it
	churns and blinks the green light for about 3 minutes and... prints
	nothing.  When  I tried to display it with the PS display program
	that I got from the net, it puts up a blank page and then aborts
	with this message:  "undefined in operator statusdict"

	Then I tried the same thing with the file created by the macps
	program from the prolog-less (cmd-F) version of the test file.
	Same result on both the printer and PS.

	Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

--
Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Hunter Scales
Austin, Texas             {harvard,utah-cs,gatech}!cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!hunter

bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) (07/11/89)

This message is based on my not having seen this answer posted by anyone
else... but then I may have missed a few :-).

In LaserWriter Driver 6.0 there were some nice changes made in the Prep
file that make it do the proper checks for certain Apple only
PostScript items. In the past it would flush the entire job if it wasn't
an Apple printer, now it will skip over what was needed (ex. bitmap smoothing)
and continue. So for LaserWriter 6.0, a command-K file with the full ApplePrep
should work fine downloaded to any Adobe licensed PostScript printer.

Hope this proves useful and solves a few problems.

-----

Brian Bezanson					bezanson@adobe.com
Adobe Systems Inc.				AppleLink: D0124

Any mistakes/opinions in the above article are mine and are in no way official
comments from Adobe Systems.