[comp.sys.mac] Looking for backup program to Appleshare disk

feldy@kona.cs.ucla.edu (07/09/89)

We have a network of macs connected to appleshare servers (Suns). I'd like
to have a backup program that would use the appleshare disk to save
the backup. All the programs I have seen either write directly to floppies,
or can only be used on "real" disks including hard disks. What I'm
really looking for is the incremental (changes only) backup facility
so I can automatically backup my files from my mac to the appleshare disk.
Any suggestions?
I've tried fastback and diskfit to no avail.

Bob Felderman                   	         feldy@cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science   	...!{rutgers,ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!feldy

lietb@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US (Tjeng-Bo Lie) (07/11/89)

In article <25555@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, feldy@kona.cs.ucla.edu writes:
> We have a network of macs connected to appleshare servers (Suns). I'd like
> to have a backup program that would use the appleshare disk to save
> the backup. All the programs I have seen either write directly to floppies,
> or can only be used on "real" disks including hard disks. What I'm
> really looking for is the incremental (changes only) backup facility
> so I can automatically backup my files from my mac to the appleshare disk.
> Any suggestions?
> I've tried fastback and diskfit to no avail.
>

> Bob Felderman                   	         feldy@cs.ucla.edu
> UCLA Computer Science   	...!{rutgers,ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!feldy

This small company in Dallas, Texas, called "Los Tres Amigos" is coming out withan "Intelligent background copy" program that might fit your need.

It works by letting you select a "source folder" and a "destination folder" and
then proceed to copy all files from the "source folder" that have a newer
modification date, or have no counterpart (i.e. new files) in the "destination
folder"

If you are running MultiFinder, it will even copy files in the background so you
can get something useful done in the foreground.

It is now being field tested in Mobil Oil's PRISM project Team B.

For further information, contact:  Los Tres Amigos
                                   P.O. Box 740483
                                   Dallas, Tx  75374-0483

I believe they are planning on introducing the product in August for $49.95 for
a month, then $79.95 after that.

=-Tjeng-Bo-Lie->

Claimer:  I am involved (kind of) in testing the product mentioned.
          my .sig is being repaired due to name changes (killer -> attctc)