[comp.sys.mac] Disk Doctor/Editing a bad disk!

gksmith@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Gary Smith) (07/08/89)

I am looking for (Public domain|sharware|commercial) software to restore
what is possible from a disk that the mac says is unreadable.  A local
store has told us that no such product is available but I don't believe
him.

Thanks for your help,
Gary.

u-atgoat@wasatch.utah.edu (Alan Goates) (07/08/89)

The program that you are looking for is called FEdit. I don't know if it is
still available, or who owns it now, but it does what you want. PCTools will
also edit bad disks, I think.

Al

werner@molokai.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (07/09/89)

In <2153@wasatch.utah.edu>, u-atgoat@wasatch.utah.edu (Alan Goates) writes:

> The program that you are looking for is called FEdit. I don't know if it is
> still available, or who owns it now, but it does what you want.

	FEdit will not recover stuff from a broken disk for you.

	the program I use to recover data from an unreadable disk is S.U.M.
	 (which used to be MacZAP).  Another program worth mentioning is
	First Aid (not to be confused with Disk First Aid from Apple,
	which is able to repair some minor disk problems only;  but this
	is not to say that an attempt should not be made :-)

--
--------------------------> please send REPLIES to <------------------------
INTERNET:    uhrig@mcc.com     (if unavailable: werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu)

chaffee@uvm-gen.UUCP (Alex D. Chaffee,231 Votey,,6581273) (07/11/89)

From article <10599@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, by gksmith@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Gary Smith):

> I am looking for (Public domain|sharware|commercial) software to restore
> what is possible from a disk that the mac says is unreadable.

I've got a shareware program called Floppy Fixer which has my highest
recommendation; when my drive succumbed to the Dark Side a few weeks ago, it
saved most of the damaged disks.  If you can't find it in the archives, let
me know and I can send you a copy, or (if there's enough interest) post it
to comp.binaries.mac.

Alex Chaffee
chaffee@emily.uvm.edu