[comp.sys.mac] How to Signup for GEnie

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (06/28/89)

info on how to signup for the GEnie on-line system...here's the procedure
do signup using computer and modem.

1. Have credit card or checking account number handy.
2. Select 300 or 1200 baud (2400 probably works too) with local echo on.
3. Dial 1-800-638-8369
4. When you get the connect message, type 3 h characters (ie: HHH)
5. At the #U= prompt type the following (without the quotes)
   "XTX99644,AMAZEING" and press return.
6. The computer will take you through a step by step procedure to sign up.

GEnie has a LARGE Mac software library and supports ZMODEM batch uploading
of up to 20 files in one command.  I've found ZMODEM saves a LOT of
downloading time over XMODEM...I get about 107 characters per second
throughput using ZMODEM!  The batch uploading is nice to, if you want to
download a lot of files without having to sit around and watch.

Oh, I should say, GEnie is available in USA, Canada and Japan...and probably
a few other places I don't know about yet!

Disclaimer:  I don't work for GEnie and don't make any money from this...but
I do have 4 games on GEnie you can play (A-Maze-ing, Chess, Reversi and GOMOKU)

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306
{pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo

dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) (06/29/89)

In article <1458@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>info on how to signup for the GEnie on-line system...here's the procedure
>do signup using computer and modem.

People should be advised that while the signup number is toll-free,
you have to call a "local" number to actually use the system.  The
ads don't say this, and in my case, there are no local numbers for
me to use.  The best I could do was my $.11/minute rate for calls
to the Denver Metro area, so I finally just put down the $30 fee as
a loss until I move or GEnie adds a number local to me.

--
David Elliott		dce@Solbourne.COM
			...!{boulder,nbires,sun}!stan!dce

geo@surf.sics.bu.oz (George Bray) (07/11/89)

From article <1529@marvin.Solbourne.COM>, by dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott):
> In article <1458@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>>info on how to signup for the GEnie on-line system...here's the procedure
>>do signup using computer and modem.
>
> People should be advised that while the signup number is toll-free,
> you have to call a "local" number to actually use the system.  The
> ads don't say this, and in my case, there are no local numbers for
> me to use.  The best I could do was my $.11/minute rate for calls
> to the Denver Metro area, so I finally just put down the $30 fee as
> a loss until I move or GEnie adds a number local to me.

Does anyone know their Telenet or Tymnet X.25 address?

Thanks,

	geo

George Bray           AppleLink: AUST0287      MacNet: GEO   Pager:075-50-7004
Byte Technologies     ClubMac: GEO   CompuServe: 72711,253   Phone:075-95-1111
at Bond University    Internet:     geo@surf.sics.bu.oz.au   Fax:  075-95-1160
Private Mail Bag 10   Gold Coast Mail Centre    Queensland   4217    AUSTRALIA                                                                                        All Applicable Disclaimers Apply     AADA - The Language of Lawyers