[comp.sys.mac] Mac II Palettes

swc@sys.uea.ac.uk (S.W. Cox CMP Staff) (07/11/89)

The RGB colour entries in Mac II's palettes are supposed to be 0 - 65535
but when converted to the conventional range 0 .. 1  by:

	newcol.red := col.red/65535  etc

where newcol.red, green and blue are reals, it starts inserting negative
numbers (possibly -32767 to 32767 or something similar).

Can anybody think of a suitable assignment for going from the integers
to the reals (and vice versa) apart from adding and subtracting 32767 etc.

	Thanks, S Cox UEA Norwich, UK

				swc@uk.ac.uea.sys

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (07/12/89)

In article <635@sys.uea.ac.uk> swc@sys.uea.ac.uk (S.W. Cox CMP Staff)
writes:
> The RGB colour entries in Mac II's palettes are supposed to be 0 - 65535
> but when converted to the conventional range 0 .. 1  by:
>
>         newcol.red := col.red/65535  etc
>
> where newcol.red, green and blue are reals, it starts inserting negative
> numbers (possibly -32767 to 32767 or something similar).
>
> Can anybody think of a suitable assignment for going from the integers
> to the reals (and vice versa) apart from adding and subtracting 32767
etc.

>         Thanks, S Cox UEA Norwich, UK

Paraphrase from Inside Mac V-175 (The Color Picker Package):

RGBcolor fields are of type INTEGER, which is signed. There is another
16-bit type called SmallFract of range 0..65535 which is assignment-
compatible with INTEGERs. There are two conversion routines:
    FUNCTION SmallFract2Fix(s: SmallFract): Fixed;
    FUNCTION Fix2SmallFract(f: Fixed): SmallFract;

So perhaps this will work for you:
    newcol.red := SmallFract2Fix(col.red);
where newcol.red is of type Fixed rather than Real. I haven't tried this,
but I will soon because I have a similar problem.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 27-O |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

cjp@Apple.COM (Chris Plummer) (07/12/89)

In article <635@sys.uea.ac.uk> swc@uea-sys.UUCP () writes:

>The RGB colour entries in Mac II's palettes are supposed to be 0 - 65535
>but when converted to the conventional range 0 .. 1  by:
>
>	newcol.red := col.red/65535  etc
>
>where newcol.red, green and blue are reals, it starts inserting negative
>numbers (possibly -32767 to 32767 or something similar).
>
>Can anybody think of a suitable assignment for going from the integers
>to the reals (and vice versa) apart from adding and subtracting 32767 etc.

According to IM V-136, the RGBColor record consists of 3 INTEGERs and
INTEGERs are signed (-32768..32767) so it looks like you'll need to
add 32768 to the color values or treat them as unsigned integers (maybe
declare a type called UNSIGNEDINT : 0..65535 and then use this as
a type cast.   Hope this helps.

			--Chris Plummer