[comp.sys.mac] Emacs on Macintosh

macgyver@baseball.cis.ohio-state.edu (wilson m liaw) (07/11/89)

	Is there anyway for us poor folks who doesn't have the AUX to run
emacs? OR is AUX required to run emacs?

				Mac

-=-
Wilson Mac Liaw                           $  Two sure ways to tell a sexy male;
Internet   : macgyver@cis.ohio-state.edu  $  the first is, he has a bad memory.
CompuServe : 71310,1653                   $  I forget the second :)
GEnie : W.Liaw                            $

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (07/11/89)

In article <54396@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> wilson m liaw <macgyver@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>	Is there anyway for us poor folks who doesn't have the AUX to run
>emacs? OR is AUX required to run emacs?

I do not know of a Full version of Emacs on the Mac.  Microemacs is
available, I think it is archived at SUMEX.

I think that Emacs hasnt been ported due to the size of the program
(>1 mb.) and the simple ports use the built in terminal emulator in
the machine.  It seems that the communications toolbox may just
provide that terminal emulator that eases the porting.  Does anyone
want to try it? :)

Mark Interrante   		Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"Imagine what it would be like if TV actually were good. It would be the end
 of everything we know."  Marvin Minsky

maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) (07/12/89)

From article <54396@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, by macgyver@baseball.cis.ohio-state.edu (wilson m liaw):

> 	Is there anyway for us poor folks who doesn't have the AUX to run
> emacs? OR is AUX required to run emacs?

I know of a version of MicroEMACS that runs on the mac, but it hasn't been
integrated into the official distribution (at least, not as of 3.10).  If
you want the best available Emacs clone for the Mac, get JOVE.  I find it
has most of the essential functionality of mainframe Emacs, but it does
lack a macro extension language.  On the other hand, it is better integrated
into Mac environment than is MicroEMACS as things stand now.  One might
think of JOVE as a mainframe Emacs configured to suit someone's personal
tastes, hence its name:  Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs.  If you can't find
a source, I will be glad to point you to one.  (It's on SIMTEL20.)

WALT

--
CSNet    maner@andy.bgsu.edu           | 419/372-8719
InterNet maner@andy.bgsu.edu 129.1.1.2 | BGSU Comp Sci Dept