[comp.sys.mac] Radiation from the Mac screens?

thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (06/26/89)

Don't mean to disturb anyone but I was wondering if anyone has measured any
radiation coming from a Mac screen?

Are there any screen sheilds for Mac screens?

I'm concerned about this because I have a Mac and a couple of kids, not because
I think there is more or less radiation from a Mac screen than an IBM.

Thanks.

--Thom Gillespie

fink@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Paul Fink) (06/26/89)

In article <29836@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
>Don't mean to disturb anyone but I was wondering if anyone has measured any
>radiation coming from a Mac screen?
>
>Are there any screen sheilds for Mac screens?
>
>I'm concerned about this because I have a Mac and a couple of kids, not because
>I think there is more or less radiation from a Mac screen than an IBM.
>
>Thanks.
>
>--Thom Gillespie

Do you let your kids watch TV?

         Paul J. Fink Jr.                    Internet:
         Oregon State University                fink@PHYSICS.ORST.EDU
         Department of Physics               Phone:
         Corvallis, Oregon 97331                (503) 737-4631

vogelei@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Todd Vogelei) (06/27/89)

In article <29836@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU| thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
|Don't mean to disturb anyone but I was wondering if anyone has measured any
|radiation coming from a Mac screen?
|
|Are there any screen sheilds for Mac screens?
|
|I'm concerned about this because I have a Mac and a couple of kids, not because
|I think there is more or less radiation from a Mac screen than an IBM.
|
|Thanks.

|--Thom Gillespie

I would think there is definitely more radiation from a mac screen since
tyhe display creates characters by *not* exciting pixels and there is much more
white space that must be excited than black space that is not.  The opposite
is true for IBM type stuff and so more area is simply not getting bombarded
by electrons than is.  This is why it would be nice to reverse the screen.
Right now I use a black desktop and fairly dark coloring everywhere to
minimize radiation.  It looks neon and I like it even if it doesn't help
;-)

Todd
vogelei@nmtsun

baer@Jessica.stanford.edu (Paul Baer) (06/27/89)

In article <11374@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> fink@nucthy.PHYSICS.ORST.EDU (Paul Fink) writes:
>In article <29836@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
>>Don't mean to disturb anyone but I was wondering if anyone has measured any
>>radiation coming from a Mac screen?
>>
>>I'm concerned about this because I have a Mac and a couple of kids...
>>--Thom Gillespie
>
>Do you let your kids watch TV?>

Do your kids watch TV with their faces a foot from the screen?

--Paul Baer
  Networking and Communications Systems
  Stanford University

PS I'd like to know if there are any such measurements, since I work
with a Mac for 4-6 hours a day.

fink@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Paul Fink) (06/27/89)

In article <3175@portia.Stanford.EDU> baer@Jessica.UUCP (Paul Baer) writes:
>In article <11374@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> fink@nucthy.PHYSICS.ORST.EDU (Paul Fink) writes:
>>In article <29836@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
>>>Don't mean to disturb anyone but I was wondering if anyone has measured any
>>>radiation coming from a Mac screen?
>>>
>>>I'm concerned about this because I have a Mac and a couple of kids...
>>>--Thom Gillespie
>>

>PS I'd like to know if there are any such measurements, since I work
>with a Mac for 4-6 hours a day.

I wear a #20 sun screen.

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) (06/27/89)

In article <29836@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
>Don't mean to disturb anyone but I was wondering if anyone has measured any
>radiation coming from a Mac screen?
>
>Are there any screen sheilds for Mac screens?

The following company manufactures and sells anti-glare & radiation
screens for the Mac:

The NoRad Corporation
1549 11th St., Suite 205
Santa Monica, CA 90401
(213) 934-2101

I have no affiliation w/this company, nor have I used their products.
Call them for more info or a brochure.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
 Internet: yahnke@macc.wisc.edu
 Phonenet: 608.262.8626
  Mailnet: 1210 W. Dayton St., Madison WI, 53706
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

gae@gem.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (06/28/89)

It is my impression that the current opinion is that VDT ailments are caused
not by radiation, but by sitting in the same position for extended periods
of time.  The news the other day reported on one of these problems, now
called "NINTENDO NECK".
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics                     TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet

nljg0470@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/28/89)

	Well, in MacUser, there's an ad for a product by NoRad which, I
	quote, ". . . virtually eliminates screen emitted electromagnetic-
	radiation."

	Wow, it sure sounds healthy, but doesn't that make it awfully hard
	to read?  Last time I took a physics class (3 years) light was still
	considered a form of electromagnetic radiation.  I guess my degree
	got obsolete before I even got a chance to graduate.  Damn!!!!

	Nick Jasper
	University of Illinois

johnw@bucket.UUCP (John Wong) (06/28/89)

In article <29836@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) writes:
> Don't mean to disturb anyone but I was wondering if anyone has measured any
> radiation coming from a Mac screen?
>
> Are there any screen sheilds for Mac screens?

There is a screen available for PC's, I believe, called Vu-Pro-Tek that
blocks radiation.  It's expensive (>$200).  It may be adaptable for the Mac.

Laptops that use LCD technology, rather than CRT, I suspect, would be
safer in that there isn't a high voltage electron gun firing behind
the tube.  One selling point for the new Macintosh laptop...

John.

tektronix!tessi!bucket!johnw

cortesi@infmx.UUCP (David Cortesi) (06/29/89)

In article <29836@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
>Don't mean to disturb anyone but I was wondering if anyone has measured any
>radiation coming from a Mac screen?
>
>Are there any screen sheilds for Mac screens?

In the issue of New Yorker magazine now on the stands there is a long
article on the general subject of hazards from video display stations.
What I gathered from it was that ionizing radiation such as might be
emitted when speeding electrons hit phosphor is not of much concern,
but that there is very much an open question about biological effects
of the pulsed 60Hz magnetic fields emitted by a typical power supply.
The screen shields that purport to stop ionizing radiation would not
be effective magnetic shields .. the next Maccessory may be a tastefully
welded iron box...

bayes@hpislx.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (06/30/89)

> Don't mean to disturb anyone but I was wondering if anyone has measured any
> radiation coming from a Mac screen?
>
> Are there any screen sheilds for Mac screens?
>
> I'm concerned about this because I have a Mac and a couple of kids, not because
> I think there is more or less radiation from a Mac screen than an IBM.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Thom Gillespie

I think I remember seeing one advertised in MacUser recently.  I'm not
sure I believe it's anything to worry about, but you can probably buy
peace of mind fairly cheaply.

Scott Bayes

landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (07/01/89)

In article <3175@portia.Stanford.EDU> baer@Jessica.UUCP (Paul Baer) writes:
>Do your kids watch TV with their faces a foot from the screen?

Yes, unless I yell at them.  And remember that color tubes typically
produce more radiation that B&W.

	Howard A. Landman
	landman@sun.com

dooley@helios.toronto.edu (Kevin Dooley) (07/03/89)

In article <1509@bucket.UUCP> johnw@bucket.UUCP (John Wong) writes:
>In article <29836@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) writes:
>> Don't mean to disturb anyone but I was wondering if anyone has measured any
>> radiation coming from a Mac screen?
>>
>> Are there any screen sheilds for Mac screens?
>>

>There is a screen available for PC's, I believe, called Vu-Pro-Tek that
>blocks radiation.  It's expensive (>$200).  It may be adaptable for the Mac.
>
>Laptops that use LCD technology, rather than CRT, I suspect, would be
>safer in that there isn't a high voltage electron gun firing behind
>the tube.  One selling point for the new Macintosh laptop...
>
>John.
>
>tektronix!tessi!bucket!johnw

    There is already an extremely effective radiation shield on your
monitor.  It is called the screen.  The highest energy that an
electron hitting the glass can possibly have is ~20keV.  This means
that the highest energy x-ray that can be produced is ~20keV.  These
x-rays have to pass through a huge chunk of glass (the screen).
The radation which does make it through is very soft and its intensity
is considerably less than what you would measure coming from a large
chunk of cement.  If somebody markets a radiation screen for computer
monitors, they are running a scam.  If the glass were not enough to
filter out practically everything, then you would probably have to use
lead (which makes reading the old screen kind of difficult).

      Now, having said that, let me add one caveat.  There is a fair
amount of radio frequency radiation (non-ionizing, very very low energy)
coming from a computer monitor.  Many people have claimed that prolonged
exposure to rf radiation can be a health risk, although there is no
evidence to support this claim.  It is commonly accepted that the
principle health problems associated with the use of video displays
are:
   - back and neck pain associated with poor posture, poor positioning
     of the monitor and keyboard relative to the body, and uncomfortable
     chairs.
   - eyestrain resulting from improper lighting, glare and just plain
     staring at those tiny phophor dots to 8 hours at a crack.

    Common sense tells you that the best way to avoid these problems
is to take frequent breaks.  For more information contact the Ministry
of Labour.

--
 Kevin Dooley         UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!dooley
 Physics Dept.        BITNET - dooley@utorphys

dooley@helios.toronto.edu (Kevin Dooley) (07/04/89)

In article <837@helios.toronto.edu> I write:
>      ...There is a fair
>amount of radio frequency radiation (non-ionizing, very very low energy)
>coming from a computer monitor.  Many people have claimed that prolonged
>exposure to rf radiation can be a health risk, although there is no
>evidence to support this claim.

	I should perhaps add to this statement by saying that there is
no simple device that you could attach to your monitor to filter out
rf radiation (you'd have to seal the whole thing in a copper lined room
and leave the building if you wanted to make any real difference).
In my previous article I said that there is no significant x-ray
radiation coming from a video display terminal.  So let me just
reiterate that anybody who wants to sell you a radiation filter
that will make your monitor safer probably has some nice property
in Florida for sale as well ;->.

--
 Kevin Dooley         UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!dooley
 Physics Dept.        BITNET - dooley@utorphys
 U. of Toronto        INTERNET - dooley@helios.physics.utoronto.ca

jong@leaf.dec.com (Typo? What tpyo?) (07/06/89)

The question of possible danger from Macintosh screens unfairly
singles out Macs; the danger, if there is any, originates from
ANY video-display device that employs an electron gun and circuitry
to manipulate it.  Is there any danger from such devices, then?

I call to your attention a series of three articles that ran in
The New Yorker on June 12, 19, and 26, 1989, called "Annals of
Radiation: The Danger of Electromagnetic Fields."  The author
described research that has suggested a link between
extremely-low-frequency electromagnetic fields and a number of
serious health problems.  The studies have been conducted by
a number of researchers, and the results have been repeated
elsewhere.

While the radiation emitted from a VDT is not known to be harmful,
the circuitry that controls the electron gun, especially the
vertical-retrace circuits, emits 60-hertz electric and magnetic
fields.  The electric field can be shielded, but the magnetic field
cannot be stopped, and it reaches out from the side and back of the
terminal.  Fields of that strength and frequency have been implicated
in health disorders by several researchers.

I would urge everyone to examine the article first-hand.  Unfortunately,
if these scientists have actually found a problem, VDTs are the
LEAST of our worries.  Suffice it to say that electricity may not be
our friend.

		-- Steve

landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (07/07/89)

In article <837@helios.toronto.edu> dooley@helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Kevin Dooley) writes:
>If the glass were not enough to
>filter out practically everything, then you would probably have to use
>lead (which makes reading the old screen kind of difficult).

Not really.  "Crystal" chandeliers and goblets are made from glass which
has a high percentage of lead oxide in it, and they are quite clear.
I feel nervous about drinking acid solutions containing metal-binding
chelating agents (like red wine) from them, but lead crystal should make
decent screen material.

	Howard A. Landman
	landman@sun.com

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (07/09/89)

Don't VDT screens also give off ultraviolet radiation?  There's speculation
that UV may contribute to cataract formation.

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

rose@odin.ucsd.edu (Dan Rose) (07/13/89)

In article <837@helios.toronto.edu> dooley@helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Kevin Dooley) writes:
>Many people have claimed that prolonged
>exposure to rf radiation can be a health risk, although there is no
>evidence to support this claim.  It is commonly accepted that the
>principle health problems associated with the use of video displays
>are:
>   - back and neck pain associated with poor posture . . .
>   - eyestrain resulting from improper lighting . . .

As has been pointed out by others, the risk alluded to in the
New Yorker articles was from the 60Hz-modulated magnetic field caused
by the yoke doing the (vertical?) refresh of the CRT.  (This of course
is not Mac-specific.)

I was extremely skeptical when I began reading about these hazards,
since (like the poster of the enclosed messsage) I had heard that
various governmental agencies had declared the risks to be confined
to ergonomic problems.  Having read the articles, though, I am now
convinced that other hazards may exist and should be studied.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I think that both academic
and industry scientists have been ignoring or obscuring the problem.
For example, the problems appear to stem from long-term, low-level
exposure, while the standards applied by various protective agencies
only consider short-term, high-level effects.  To oversimplify, they
say (in the case of microwave radiation), "if it doesn't heat you
up, it must be safe" when in fact it may be altering your brain function
or increasing your baby's risk of birth defects.

The scariest part for me was the implication that the press has
avoided reporting on the issue because they are so heavily dependent
on VDTs.  If you want the evidence, read the article(s) and judge
for yourself.

						Dan Rose
						CSE Dept.
						U.C. San Diego