[comp.sys.mac] UNWANTED SuperSpool Disk Activity

khj@ecsvax.UUCP (Kenneth H. Jacker) (07/10/89)

   .-------------------------------------.
   | Hardware:  Mac+;  2MB;  IW II       |
   |                                     |
   | Software:  System 6.0.2;  MF        |
   |            "Common" INITs/CDEVs (*) |
   |            SuperSpool v5.0          |
   .-------------------------------------.

     (*)  GateKeeper, ApplicationMenu, Boomerang, hierDA,
          IconWrap, PointingDevice, Pyro!, QuicKeys,
          SFScrollInit, SFVolINIT, SS, Suitcase, & SuperClock!

PROBLEM:

About every 13 seconds, there is disk activity (with no other
applications/DAs running).  The first lasts about 1/4 of a
second, and another about a second. The longer follows the
first by about 2-3 seconds.

If I de-install SS using the "Print Queue" DA, the disk is
quiet.  Upon re-installation, the annoying disk noise resumes.

COMMENTS:

I have verified that SS's "spool folder" is empty ... neither
SS files nor non-SS files are present.  I am getting the same
behavior on my 2MB Mac II at work as well.  I *swear* neither
of my systems did this until recently

I called SuperMac technical support.  We talked awhile ... the
individual suggested re-installing the software and re-creating
the "spool folder".  I did so, but the periodic disk activity
still continues ...

Certainly, SS needs to check the "spool folder" every once-in-
a-while (tech support said "every 30 seconds is normal"), but
this is excessive!

REQUEST:

Any ideas?  Maybe this is "normal" ... maybe I'm overlooking
something obvious.  Any help much appreciated!

--
Kenneth H. Jacker               Domain:   khj@uncecs.edu
Dept of Math Sciences           BITNET:   khj@ecsvax

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (07/12/89)

Ken,

What happens if you remove all of your other INITs?

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

kcr%rushforth@Sun.COM (Kevin Rushforth) (07/13/89)

In article <7291@ecsvax.UUCP> khj@ecsvax.UUCP (Kenneth H. Jacker) writes:
>About every 13 seconds, there is disk activity (with no other
>applications/DAs running).  The first lasts about 1/4 of a
>second, and another about a second. The longer follows the
>first by about 2-3 seconds.

Do you have RAM cache turned on?  I run System 6.0.2 on a MAC+ with
SuperSpool 5.0 installed and several INIT/CDEVs as well, and I have not
noticed the problem that you are experiencing (I run with a 96K RAM
cache).

--
Kevin C. Rushforth                   | "If winning is not important,
Sun Microsystems                     |  then commander, why keep score?"
                                     |              - Lt. Worf
ARPA: kcr@sun.com                    |
UUCP: <most-backbone-sites>!sun!kcr  |