[comp.sys.mac] Radiation and the VDT News: all the news not fit to

siegman@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) (07/13/89)

publish (LONG)

I genuinely admire Thom Gillespie's attempts to get at the hard data
behind the recent New Yorker article on hazards of radiation from
VDTs, for example by digging out copies of "VDT News"; and I wonder if
he might be willing to dig for some further information on one
specific aspect of this issue.

TG says previous responses to his articles fall into two camps: Heavy
VDT users, especially women, concerned about negative radiation
effects, and blase younger respondents who perhaps feel themselves
immortal (for a while, anyway) and aren't much concerned.

There's a third group: Older, not blase but skeptical types (like
myself), who've seen a lot of predictions of doom get hyped and then
disappear (still have a copy of "The Coming Famine of 1975" on my
bookshelf), and who are, not disbelieving, but definitely skeptical
about the New Yorker article, until there's more, and much harder,
evidence forthcoming.

[Just to illustrate the attitude, if I can believe some of the
scientific articles I read, many (most?) reputable and informed
scientists (MRIS) think it's impossible to tell from the evidence at
this point whether the Greenhouse Effect is going to cause global
warming, or global cooling, or none of the above.  MRIS conclude that,
when you take all the evidence into account, the best current
conclusion is that there has been absolutely NO measureable increase
in the incidence of cancer that can be attributed to the widespread
use of "toxic" chemicals that began around the turn of this century.
Linus Pauling may be a great old guy, but Vitamin C for colds is
nonsense.  And so on.  As my father was fond of saying, "Believe 20%
of what you hear, 40% of what you read, and 60% of what you see with
your own eyes."]

To get to the point (this has drifted pretty far from
comp.sys.mac.programmer), have we not already done a massive,
world-wide, decades-long, literally hundreds of billions of test hours
experiment on the possible _radiation_ effects of VDTs?  -- it's
called _television_ .

We're talking the _radiation_ effects of VDTs here -- not the
ergonomic, eye-strain, wrist-cramp, tendonitis effects.  Aren't VDTs
just specialized TV sets?  Are there any really major technical
differences (accelerating voltage, etc.) between the
radiation-producing capabilities of VDTs and TVs.

[And just saying you sit closer to a VDT than a TV set won't do.  Ever
see kids sitting 1 foot away from a giant TV screen?  (and they're the
ones that ought to damage easiest).  And, it's probably solid angle
that really ought to count, and solid angle from the observer
subtended by a VDT or by a TV screen is typically about the same.
And, TV screens are a lot bigger, often with bigger beam deflection
angles, hence bigger electric and magnetic deflection fields.]

So, what's the story here?  TV is clearly bad for the brain (enough so
in my opinion that I've raised 4 children without ever owning one).
Is it bad for physical health also?  If so, how come we've never seen
any headlines about its radiation hazards?  And, given the ubiquitous
nature of TV, and the number of hours some people watch it, how come
no one has noticed viewers dropping like flies?  Does VDT News say
anything on this?

amanda@intercon.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (07/13/89)

In article <203@sierra.stanford.edu>, siegman@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Anthony E.
Siegman) writes:
> Are there any really major technical
> differences (accelerating voltage, etc.) between the
> radiation-producing capabilities of VDTs and TVs.

I can think of a couple things, but I have no idea whether or not they are
significant.  TVs are probably more likely to have color CRTs than VDTs (at
least until recently).  Modern VDTs use higher horizontal scan rates than
TVs, which might require higher electron beam energies, although the phospors
used might make a difference in how much energy is needed.  Based on vague
memories of high school physics :-), I'd think that color CRTs would be much
more likely to emit dangerous radiation, since the electronic beams are (a)
higher power, and (b) hitting a metal shadow mask.  What do you get when
you shoot electrons at a metal target?  X-radiation...

What I'd like to see is CRTs that are better shielded against *external*
interference.  I have a little fan on my desk to augment the A/C in our
office, and I have to tilt it at just the right angle or my screen wobbles
in synchrony :-).

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation