[comp.sys.mac] 68851 PMMU Test...

aw1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Adam Duncan Warr) (07/11/89)

There is no way to really test to see if the PMMU is
functioning correctly(at least I don't know a way).
Except! If you have the Virtual INIT  and install it on
you Mac, you will find that, given you have enough space
on your hard drive, you have 8 megs of virtual memory.
 Tha is the best test I know of. I have done this test on
several machines where I work. It will tell you if your
PMMU is working.

How much did you pay for your PMMU and from whom did you
purchase it?
Good Luck!

Adam C. Duncan
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh Pa

E-mail:  aw1j@andrew.cmu.edu

dware@macknife.UUCP (07/13/89)

/* Written  8:16 am  Jul 11, 1989 by andrew.cmu.edu!aw1j+ in macknife:comp.sys.mac */
/* ---------- "Re:68851 PMMU Test..." ---------- */
* There is no way to really test to see if the PMMU is
* functioning correctly(at least I don't know a way).
* Except! If you have the Virtual INIT  and install it on
* you Mac, you will find that, given you have enough space
*
< Text Deleted>
* Adam C. Duncan
* Carnegie Mellon University
* Pittsburgh Pa

There is another way to test the PMMU, at least it has worked for
me.  You need to obtain the diagnostics program called
MacII Test.  There is a test routine specifically for the
PMMU. The documentation that I have for the software eludes
to the PMMU tests as individual PMMU instructions, as to what
specific instructions, this test routine checks?  Apple, care
to comment?

BTW I found a copy of MacII Test on GENie's Mac Roundtable
some time ago, do not know if it is still there

Don Ware
Krantz & Ware Consultants, Inc

UUCP    : uunet!pallas!macknife!dware
ATTMail : attmail!dware
US Mail : 1501 W. Bradley
          Lovelace Technology Center
          Peoria, Ill, 61625

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (07/13/89)

In article <gYiTAwy00WB20Iyl55@andrew.cmu.edu> aw1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Adam Duncan Warr) writes:
>There is no way to really test to see if the PMMU is
>functioning correctly(at least I don't know a way).
>Except! If you have the Virtual INIT  and install it on
>you Mac, you will find that, given you have enough space
>on your hard drive, you have 8 megs of virtual memory.
> Tha is the best test I know of. I have done this test on
>several machines where I work. It will tell you if your
>PMMU is working.

If you boot your machine with Virtual, checking that the About the Finder
box shows that you have 8,192K of RAM DOES NOT mean that Virtual OR your
PMMU are working properly.  All that shows is that Virtual has TOLD the
Macintosh that it has access to 8 megs, and the Mac believed it.  The
paging would still fail if your PMMU were not working properly.

The only way to check your PMMU with Virtual is to boot up, and then load
several memory-intensive programs into memory and use them.  Load your
favorite GIF viewer and look at a few full-screen images.  Try Canvas on
a large document.  Basically, until you've convinced Virtual to do some
page swapping, you can't be sure the PMMU is actually working.

--
Mark H. Anbinder        ************************** mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
Baka Industries                                 ** (biar!)memory!mha.uucp

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (07/13/89)

In article <8386@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
>In article <gYiTAwy00WB20Iyl55@andrew.cmu.edu> aw1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Adam Duncan Warr) writes:
 >>There is no way to really test to see if the PMMU is
 >>functioning correctly(at least I don't know a way).
 >>Except! If you have the Virtual INIT  and install it on
 >>you Mac, you will find that, given you have enough space
 >>on your hard drive, you have 8 megs of virtual memory.
 >> Tha is the best test I know of. I have done this test on
 >>several machines where I work. It will tell you if your
 >>PMMU is working.
 >
 >If you boot your machine with Virtual, checking that the About the Finder
 >box shows that you have 8,192K of RAM DOES NOT mean that Virtual OR your
 >PMMU are working properly.  All that shows is that Virtual has TOLD the
 >Macintosh that it has access to 8 megs, and the Mac believed it.  The
 >paging would still fail if your PMMU were not working properly.

Let's be slightly realistic.  I'm sure the folks who wrote
Virtual check to make sure a PMMU is operating.  If it wasn't
installed right, they wouldn't be able to detect it and hence,
wouldn't load Virtual in.

The easiest way to check would be use the cdev MacEnvy,
available from info-mac.

Ken

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP/
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |   INTERNET:  isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.

desnoyer@apple.com (Peter Desnoyers) (07/14/89)

Why don't you just try looking at the PMMU registers from MacsBug?
Enter the debugger and hit TM. If you have a PMMU it will evidently
show you registers. On my machine it says "MMU not installed."

                                      Peter Desnoyers
                                      Apple ATG
                                      (408) 974-4469