[comp.sys.mac] Excel V2.2 Anyone?

kmarko@hpdml93.HP.COM (Kurt Marko) (07/12/89)

I just wanted to check to see if anyone has gotten the Excel V2.2
UPGRADE yet (remember that?).  I'm afraid that Microsoft may be
pulling another Symantec w.r.t. upgrades (i.e. in the spirit of
Lightspeed C v3.0...sending out new shrink wrap originals before
the upgrades; making old users wait months for the new version).
Only data I have to support this is the recent ads by mailorder
houses in MacWorld for v2.2, and a NEW box with Excel v2.2
received by someone in our department.  I'm not dumping on Microsoft,
I just wanted to get more than "local" data (and I'd really like
to be able to run Excel again, since I do use Multifinder, and do
run inits, and can't reserve the first megabyte of memory for them).

Thanks

Kurt Marko

kmarko@hpdml93.HP.COM (Kurt Marko) writes:

>I just wanted to check to see if anyone has gotten the Excel V2.2
>UPGRADE yet (remember that?).

Mine arrived. There was a few week delay -- longer than I waited for Word 4,
much shorter than I waited for LSC.

chuq

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

You are false data. Therefore I shall ignore you.

spector@acf3.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (07/13/89)

Well, I sent im my upgrade coupon over 6 weeks ago and haven't heard
a peep out of Microsoft yet... but they haven't charged my American
Express card yet either.  I hope they start sending the kits out
soon... I too would like to be able to use excel again (that is until
system 7.0 comes out :-(!  )...

_DHMS
							David HM Spector
Macintosh Software Developer & Nice Guy                 310 West 18th Street 5A
ARPAnet: SPECTOR@NYU.EDU                            	New York, N.Y. 10011
Usenet: ..!{uunet,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector          voice: (212) 243-5548
HamRadio: N2BCA (44.68.0.50)  MCIMail: DSpector         data:  (212) 255-6995
AppleLink: DHMSpector   CompuServe: 71260,1410
"Capital punishment is our society's recognition of the sanctity of human life"
                        - Senator Orrin Hatch

eynon@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Barry Eynon) (07/13/89)

In article <470002@hpdml93.HP.COM> kmarko@hpdml93.HP.COM (Kurt Marko) writes:

>I just wanted to check to see if anyone has gotten the Excel V2.2
>UPGRADE yet (remember that?).

I received my 2.2 upgrade kit earlier this week. I seem to remember I
returned my upgrade order quite promptly, so I'd expect others' are
on the way.

It looks quite nice, though I haven't had much time to play with it. And
of course the nicest thing is not having to worry about getting it into
the first 1MB of memory.

Barry Eynon
eynon@lindy.stanford.edu

markham@phi.cs.unc.edu (Andrew Markham) (07/14/89)

I got my 5 copies of Excel 2.2 about 3 weeks ago.  We are very pleased with
the improvements.  We have several 200K+ spreadsheets that were not able to
open under Multifinder because of the 1MB memory cap and were happy to see the
8MB enhancement.  Also, our highest praise goes to the enhancement of file
saving/opening/closing speed.  It is amazing how much faster these operations
are.

Thank you Microsoft!

Andrew W. Markham 			<markham@sunmail.cs.unc.edu>
Computer Science Department			UNC-CH
"Nobody in the world can cover my main man Michael Jordan. No, No, Nooobody."
					-Mars Blackmon

ted@ssc-vax.UUCP (T J Jardine) (07/14/89)

From article <470002@hpdml93.HP.COM>, by kmarko@hpdml93.HP.COM (Kurt Marko):
> I just wanted to check to see if anyone has gotten the Excel V2.2
> UPGRADE yet (remember that?).  I'm afraid that Microsoft may be
> pulling another Symantec w.r.t. upgrades (i.e. in the spirit of
> Lightspeed C v3.0...sending out new shrink wrap originals before
> the upgrades; making old users wait months for the new version).

Got my upgrade notice around the first of June and sent it in the next day
with credit card payment for the upgrade price from version 1.5.  Just got
the upgrade on July 11, 1989 -- about six weeks.  The fragmented memory
problem has been solved, apparently, since I can now load Excel 2.2 on
my 8MB Mac II after running almost anything I want.  (almost, since I
haven't tried everything yet).  It also appears that Excel 2.2 files will
frequently consume less disk space than their 1.5 versions, with no changes
in content of the file.  I also got the Wingz upgrade to provide a wider
basis for performance and feature comparison.  Excel 2.2 files are sometimes
smaller than Wingz files for the same content; other cases 2.2 files are
larger than Wingz.  The differences in disk size range from 10% to 55% in
my sample population.  Wingz should really have used a syntax for file name
references that was more like the MacOS allows, since their severe restriction
constrains not only file names but precludes references to files in folders
other than the one that is currently open.  Excel 2.2, like 1.5, doesn't have
this problem.  My impression so far is that Excel is slower by far in saving
and loading -- Wingz seems to accomplish both in almost lightning fashion.

TJ {With Amazing Grace} The Piper
aka Ted Jardine  CFI-ASME/I
Usenet:		...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ted
Internet:	ted@atc.boeing.com