[comp.sys.mac] Problems with file systems with more than 2000 Files

breu@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Michael Breu) (07/10/89)

In the last issue of the german magazine MacUp there was a short
notice, that the finder will run into problems, if there are more than
2000 files on one disk.  This is a problem with this new huge optical
disks but also with conventional big disks.

We have here a 140 Mbyte Scuzzy disk. Last week our filesystem was
corrupted.  The disk test reported no error, but the filesystem
structure was inconsistent.  Some files didn't have all their blocks
allocated. We think we have had more than 2000 files on this disk.

Can anybody tell me, whether the previous problems with the finder is indeed
existing, and whether it is related with the break down of our
filesystem?

Thank you

Michael Breu			Email: breu@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de
Innstrasse 33			       ...!mcvax!unido!unipas!breu
8390 Passau			Tel: 0851/509-354
W.-Germany
--
Michael Breu			Email: breu@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de
Innstrasse 33			Tel: 0851/509-354

blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) (07/11/89)

In article <605@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de> breu@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de
(Michael Breu) writes:
> In the last issue of the german magazine MacUp there was a short
> notice, that the finder will run into problems, if there are more than
> 2000 files on one disk.  This is a problem with this new huge optical
> disks but also with conventional big disks.

They are wrong; something got lost in the translation.  There is a limit
to the number of different applications that you may have on one disk.
There is no limit on the number of files on one disk.

Information about each application is kept in an invisible file called the
Desktop file.  The current method for maintaining this information uses
the Resource Manager.  The Resource Manager can't have more than 2,727
resources in one file.  See Tech Note 141 for details.

The Desktop problem will be fixed in System 7.0.  See Tech Note 210 for
more details on the current implementation and its limitations.

I have 15,000 files on one hard disk in my office, with no problems.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (07/13/89)

In article <605@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de> breu@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Michael Breu) writes:

[ Problems with > 200 files on one disk ]

>Can anybody tell me, whether the previous problems with the finder is indeed
>existing, and whether it is related with the break down of our
>filesystem?

A problem that exists and will exist for the forseeable future is the
problem with the Desktop file. It is a resource file, and as such cannot
have more than 32767 resources in it. Now, some (generically typed
applications with the "Standard application" icon and without file comments)
add NO resources to the Desktop, while others may well add 20 resources,
or more. There are two ways to avoid this, either by partitioning the
disk or by modifying the Finder/Desktop structure (a task for the Apple
Operating Systems Development Team) but neither may be appropriate for
Your needs. (This is described in a TechNote, my TechNotes were updated
in April or May, I think.)

Hope this clarifies, sez'

--
 __       Jon W{tte (The dread Smiley Shark) email:h+@nada.kth.se
/  \      (+46 (0) 8 258 268)

MAC.ROMOS@applelink.apple.com (Ian Hendry) (07/14/89)

In article <1285@draken.nada.kth.se> d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte)
writes:
> >Can anybody tell me, whether the previous problems with the finder is
indeed
> >existing, and whether it is related with the break down of our
> >filesystem?
>
> A problem that exists and will exist for the forseeable future is the
> problem with the Desktop file. It is a resource file, and as such cannot
> have more than 32767 resources in it. Now, some (generically typed
> applications with the "Standard application" icon and without file
comments)
> add NO resources to the Desktop, while others may well add 20 resources,
> or more. There are two ways to avoid this, either by partitioning the
> disk or by modifying the Finder/Desktop structure (a task for the Apple
> Operating Systems Development Team) but neither may be appropriate for
> Your needs. (This is described in a TechNote, my TechNotes were updated
> in April or May, I think.)

Actually the above is not quite right, but there is a resource manager
limit to the desktop file.  Appleshare has an INIT called the DeskTop
Manager which does not use the desktop file.  At the developers
conference Apple said they planned to include the DeskTop  Manager
functinality  in system 7.0.  The DeskTop Manager does not use the
desktop file and it does not have a 2000 file limit so the "forseeable
future" is until 7.0 ships.

Ian Hendry
MAC.ROMOS@applelink.apple.com
Make sure my name is in the subject of any Email, or post replies to
network.
TE: 408-974-4737

Disclaimer:  It was all HIS idea anyway!  Nothing I say reflects anything
my employer means... or anything I mean for that matter.