[comp.sys.mac] Word -> ASCII Question

cheri@novavax.UUCP (Cheri Gumm Ozen) (07/13/89)

I am posting on behalf of a friend.

She has a MAC SE and Microsoft Word 4.0.  The problem is that
when she converts to ASCII, she loses the format of the document.
Then when she saves with the line breaks, the wrap arounds are
eliminated.  Either way that she saves her document, she loses
the formatting (i.e. double spacing lost centered headings,
and tabs incorrect.)

Question:  Is there a way to save a document prepared on Microsoft
Word into ASCII *and* still retain the formatting?  She has an
assignment that will be sent to someone who doesn't have a Mac.

Any (and we thank you in advance) responses may be sent to my e-mail
address.

UUCP:  ...{gatech!uflorida,ucf-cs}!novavax!cheri
Cheri

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (07/14/89)

In article <1379@novavax.UUCP> cheri@novavax.UUCP (Cheri Gumm Ozen) writes:
>Question:  Is there a way to save a document prepared on Microsoft
>Word into ASCII *and* still retain the formatting?  She has an
>assignment that will be sent to someone who doesn't have a Mac.

  ASCII format by Definition doesn't contain any formatting, it is just the
raw text.  :-(

  What your friend needs to do is find out what Word Processing program is
going to be used on the other end and see if one of Words other formats can
be read/converted by the word processor on the other end.

  For example if both people are using the newer versions of MS Word, 1 on
a Mac, and the other on a PC, Word doesn't really care who created it and
does a fairly good job of allowing the exchange to take place with formatting
intacked.

  Hope this helps.
--
David M. O'Rourke____________________|_____________dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu