[comp.sys.mac] MultiLaunch programs on Apple Share

kdb@intercon.uu.net (Kurt Baumann) (07/14/89)

In article <278@surf.sics.bu.oz>, geo@surf.sics.bu.oz (George Bray) writes:
> >   Software developers love to threaten people with lawsuits for unlicensed
> use
> > of their products.  Yet where have you ever seen a single one of those
> > developers do anything to _help_ people who want to comply with the licensing
> > requirements?

We offer a server license of our products.  The big question is what are
you willing to pay, and what exactly do you want?  As a developer these are
important but hard questions, and many times it is easier to just say, hey
buy one copy of our stuff for everyone you need a copy for.  Our server prices
are based on the maximum number of people you have on that server and how
many we think are going to be using the product at any given time.  Is that
fair?

> >   And if one says it can't be done -- balderdash!  I've thought of reasonable
> >methods which will function with or without networks, while not diminishing
> the
> > utility of the product.  If I can do it without a lot of effort, there must
> > be a number of methods backed by solid theoretical study.

What methods have you thought of?  I would be curious, perhaps you could
help us to do a better job.

> If only the application could ask the server where it resides how many
> people are using it, it could disallow more than the licensed number. This
> assumes that you have convinced the users that running it from the
> server isn't THAT slow.

What I felt is more likely to happen is that users will just copy it off
of the server in order to use a product anyway.  Why should we go through
all of the trouble when it is easier to just say to buy a copy of the package
for every user?  What is everyones feeling about this?

> Why don't more of the developers check for users like quickmail? Check
> the network for concurrent users of the same application. CE software
> however, only has ten-user packs.

I think that you can upgrade to more than ten, but you have to purchase another
ten pack.

> It would be really nice if the developer said " You can use this software
> on your network as much as you want. Every year you pay a fee based on the
> current number of users".

What would be a fair price?  How does the developer know how many people
use it?  Got any good ideas?

> > Ken Wallewein
>

> --
> George Bray

We have been searching for a good way to allow companies to use our software
on a server without costing them an arm and a leg, but also allowing us to
realize our profit margin.  We could take the hard headed attitude of saying
you want 15 users on your server well buy 15 units of our package.  That's
fair, but is it helpful or useful?  What do you folks think?

--
Kurt Baumann

InterCon Systems Corporation
46950 Community Plaza
Suite 101-132
Sterling, VA 22170                      Phone: 703.450.7117

falken@apple.com (Dave Falkenburg) (07/14/89)

In article <1268@intercon.UUCP> kdb@intercon.uu.net (Kurt Baumann) writes:
> What methods have you thought of?  I would be curious, perhaps you could
> help us to do a better job.

there are a few methods that i can think of right away:

1) have the server monitor keep a ref count for opening up the resource
   fork of a file (since AFP is statefull, unlike nfs, this wouldn't be
   impossible) Basically, AppleShare could work this alot like the "copy
   protection" in AppleShare 2.0

2) devise a license validation/ check-in / check-out protocol that can be
   implemented by vendors.  This would require a great deal of cooperation.

-dave
 falkenburg

disclaimer:  i don't work for networking & communications,
             i'm in system software

#include <disclaimer.h>