[comp.sys.mac] Folders that won't go away

ossian1@pnet06.cts.com (James A. Von Schmacht) (07/13/88)

I've had the same problem.  Solution: Shut down the machine, restart, and drag
the folders to trash again, and then empty the trash.  You will now get rid of
those pesky little buggers for good.  There must be some bit that someone in
the OpSys development department got a little bit confused about...any
response from you Apple techies out there?

Jim von Schmacht, president
Ossian Productions

Disclaimer: It's good to be the King!

UUCP: {crash uunet}!pnet06!ossian1
ARPA: crash!pnet06!ossian1@nosc.mil
INET: ossian1@pnet06.cts.com

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (07/14/88)

the summary-header says it all, really.  Anything that I try to "trash"
and the system won't let me, goes into that special folder.  The unfortunate
aspect, however, is, that I throw lots of stuff away, and when I finally
do an EMPTY-the-TRASHCAN, some things get (by BAD MAGIC) put back into some
folder, hidden many levels deep - and NOT ONLY AM NOT GETTING TOLD WHICH ONES,
I ALSO HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE INSULT OF HAVING TO DIG AROUND FOR NOT KNOWING
WHAT !!!!!

my solution?   rather than throwing anything into the TRASH, everything goes
into my folder DELETE-THIS-AFTER-BOOTING, sitting on the DeskTop right
next to the TRASHCAN !!!!  (if-only-I-could-figure-out-how-to-make-the-can-
appear-in-the-top-right-corner-of-the-DeskTop-after-reboot)

	I'm getting tricky with this Macintosh-OS ... just to keep my cool!

send Email to:    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)
		  .....!ut-sally!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner
should RASCAL be ill:   werner@astro.as.utexas.edu  or werner@utastro.UUCP)

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (07/14/88)

In article <2895@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:

>the summary-header says it all, really.  Anything that I try to "trash"
>and the system won't let me, goes into that special folder.  The unfortunate
>aspect, however, is, that I throw lots of stuff away, and when I finally
>do an EMPTY-the-TRASHCAN, some things get (by BAD MAGIC) put back into some
>folder, hidden many levels deep - and NOT ONLY AM NOT GETTING TOLD WHICH ONES,
>I ALSO HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE INSULT OF HAVING TO DIG AROUND FOR NOT KNOWING
>WHAT !!!!!
>--
>send Email to:    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)
>		  .....!ut-sally!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner
>should RASCAL be ill:   werner@astro.as.utexas.edu  or werner@utastro.UUCP)

This misses the point,  The things you are claiming can't get chucked just
appear to the finder to be busy or open, and clear after reboot.  The folders
we are discussing never fix themselves.  The attribute listing contents just
doesn't get better.

In a related vein, I was the one who reccomended the low-tech solution of
just putting in a throw-away-able file to raise the count to zero. Someone
then commented that this makes the disk unverifiable by DFA.  I have had
my drive in this state (unverifiable) for some time, but did not know the
cause (I didn't try DFA till long after my low-tech fix).  If this fix is
indeed the problem, then I probably would not recommend the fix.

DOes anyone at Apple have a guess why this is happening?  Any easy way to
fix the verifiability problem without reformatting?

Josh

-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-9515   (school office)

schoaff@marduk.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Schoaff) (07/15/88)

In article <5426@super.upenn.edu> hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Josh Hodas) writes:
>In article <2895@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>>
>>the summary-header says it all, really.  Anything that I try to "trash"
>>and the system won't let me, goes into that special folder.  The unfortunate
>
>This misses the point,  The things you are claiming can't get chucked just
>appear to the finder to be busy or open, and clear after reboot.  The folders
>we are discussing never fix themselves.  The attribute listing contents just
>doesn't get better.

I have no idea if this would work, but has anyone tried turning off
the trashcan warning bit in the finders LAYO resource?

L8r dudes

| P. Chris Schoaff | We are the coffee generation, we can't afford cocaine  |
|                  | We need a healthy dose to make it through the day      |
| schoaff@         | Don't Care about nuclear war or poverty or pain        |
|   cs.cornell.edu | We are the coffee generation and life is just a game.  |

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (07/16/88)

   I had this problem and I managed to fix it by COMPLETETEly toasting my
system and replacing it with 6.0.

   Pierce
wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu     Race For Space Grand Prize Winner.
   Useless Advice #986: Never sit on a Tack.

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (07/16/88)

Non-trashable folders were one of the symptoms exhibited
when I got hit by the nVIR virus.
--
"Have you ever wondered if taxation without representation was cheaper?"

	Julian "Dr. Wombat" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu || {...decvax!}ames!riacs!julian

jeremyr@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) (07/14/89)

A friend of mine has two folders on his Mac+ hard disk, which he wants to
delete and can't.  There's nothing in either of them (either visible
or invisible), but he gets a message from the finder saying that
the wastebasket couldn't be emptied because a folder wasn't empty.
ResEdit tells him the same thing when he uses its clear menu item
to try to delete the folders, but again shows nothing in either of them.

I seem to remember that this was discussed on the net not too long ago,
but I don't remember any conclusions.  All help gratefully received.
Please email replies - I'll summarize if appropriate.

Thanks.

Jeremy Roussak