[comp.sys.mac] Ehman HD drives

ron_b@apollo.COM (Ronald Buttiglieri) (07/14/89)

Too early to tell how well it'll perform. (I did run SCSI eval, got 28 ms access
time, just like they said I would)

Anyway, I just wanted to inform those of you who are thinking of an Ehman drive,
don't be sold on their 2 year warranty (like I kinda was). The 2 year warranty
is good on the innards, only 1 year for the drive itself! Oh well. Still is
nice to get away from 3.5'ers! BTW, they also include a (new?) software package
called "PC tools Mac". Looks like it has everything I'm looking for in a disk
utility package (from fast backups to data recovery to disk management). Haven't
tried any yet, but the manual reads as being very thorough.

Ron

"Organic Chemistry - Food for thought."

In article <44660716.16321@apollo.COM> ron_b@apollo.COM (Ronald Buttiglieri) writes:
>Too early to tell how well it'll perform. (I did run SCSI eval, got 28 ms access
>time, just like they said I would)
>
>Anyway, I just wanted to inform those of you who are thinking of an Ehman drive,
Sorry 'bout this, folks. Seems my system decided to eat my first line. I
believe it went something like this:

Hi. I just received my Ehman 60+ HD ($579!) yesterday and while the packaging
isn't impressive, I'm giving it a go.

[etc.etc.etc.]

Well, hope this explains a little more...

Ron

paul@steven.COM (paul) (07/15/89)

In article <44660716.16321@apollo.COM>, ron_b@apollo.COM (Ronald Buttiglieri) writes:
> called "PC tools Mac". Looks like it has everything I'm looking for in a disk
> utility package (from fast backups to data recovery to disk management). Haven't
> tried any yet, but the manual reads as being very thorough.

PC MacTools is good program in several areas, but not in others.

Their disk copying routines are excellent, but the MacTools has a few
problems.  I crashed a hard disk and used verify disk, which failed to
find the two bad sectors that Disk Express found.  Using the sector editor
to go to the two bad sectors worked fine, but It would tell me which file
they were in.   That is not really a problem, but lack of a nice feature.
Still it would be nice if would search the entire disk like their Find File

Find File is really nice.  It can also find text in Pagemaker and Word files
not saved in text only format.  Nice!

The backup program is really stupid.  Unlike everyone else where you run the
backup off the floppy, theirs must come off the disk you are backing up.
It also has some bad quirks.  The overwrite command doesn't work, it sticks
a backup file that fits onto what disk space is left.  If you have it
erase the disks as you back up make sure that it is set for 800K disks.
Otherwise it formats the disk to whatever it was.  In my case I was
reusing some old 400K disks from 3 years ago.

I haven't tried the rest of their stuff.