[comp.sys.mac] Question About Sim City

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (06/10/89)

Quick question about the Sim City simulation game (GREAT GAME!) -- when
Godzilla is stomping through your city, the alert box informs you of this,
and says that you might call someone for help -- except this someone's name
appears to be written in Kanji character.  Can anyone who has seen the game
translate?

I suspect that this is an in-joke...

                           "Humphrey, who is it that
                            has the last word about
                            the government of
                            Britain? The British
                            cabinet or the American
                            president?"
                                                     "You know, that's a
                                                      fascinating question. We
                                                      often discuss it."
                                           -- Yes, Prime Minister
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (06/11/89)

In article <8961@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>Quick question about the Sim City simulation game (GREAT GAME!) -- when
>Godzilla is stomping through your city, the alert box informs you of this,
>and says that you might call someone for help -- except this someone's name
>appears to be written in Kanji character.  Can anyone who has seen the game
>translate?                                 ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^

  I suspect you probably had to have seen the movie, not the game. In one
of those Japanese monster movies, didn't some monster battle Godzilla?
Sorry, don't know which one (if any) it was... however (pulling handy
trivia reference from shelf) I *can* give you some possibilities:

  Doroga      (gigantic jellyfish)
  Ebirah      (gigantic shrimp)
  Gammera     (huge turtle)
  Gappa       (large lizard)
  Godzilla    (164-foot high Tyrannosaurus Rex)
  Goke        (vampire)
  Gorath      (huge reptile)
  Gyaos       (fox)
  Hedorah     (smog monster)
  Mantanga    (spreading fungus)
  Mothra      (giant moth)
  Rodan       (giant pterodactyl)
  Varan       (large bat)
  Viras       (giant squid)

  "Don't flame me; flame the city!"

-ken

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

Brad.Lowe@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Brad Lowe) (07/15/89)

I heard, I could be wrong though, that the Japanese writing that appears when the monster is first spotted is something that was said when the people wanted a certain set of Japanese super hero's.   Someone familiar with Japanese comics would be the ones to ask..

FidoNet:  1:161/445      UUCP: sun!apple!bmug!<User.Name>
INTERNET:  bmug!<User.Name>@apple.COM or <User.Name>@bmug.fidonet.org
USNAIL:   BMUG, 1442A Walnut St. #62, Berkeley, CA 94709-1496
BMUG  ARPANET ADDRESSES:
Newsletter submissions:  pub@bmug.fidonet.org
Membership or business: biz@bmug.fidonet.org
Information: info@bmug.fidonet.org