[comp.sys.mac] NetTrek 2.0

peterb@sag1.ssl.berkeley.edu (07/10/89)

I just found NetTrek 2.0 on a ComputerLand Macintosh.  Is this the release
version?  From the pictures in MacWorld, it looks like the release version
is in color.  I don't think this 2.0 version is in color, but it looks to
be a vast improvement over 1.0.  There is a computer ship when no other
"TREKKERS" are in the galaxy and the number of computer ships steadily
increases as you decimate them.  Menus and command keys have been added
and removed.  No longer can you accelerate then hit <command-j> to jump
solar systems.  Also, the feature I always thought of as "Warp engines",
accelerating then hitting full stop then changing direction to accelerate
very quickly, has been removed.  Some new sounds have been added to the old
and they work on the Mac II,IIx,IIcx.  If this isn't the release version
(which is what I believe, then is this shareware or was this one stolen
like the last version?), when is the release version going to be available?
I call MacConnection about every two weeks, but to no avail.  If it is OK with
the author (Randy Carr(?)) I could email this or post it for all the NetTrek
fans.  Also, what is the shareware fee and what is the address to send it to
(assuming, of course, that it is shareware)?

dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) (07/10/89)

In article <26145@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> peterb@sag1.ssl.berkeley.edu () writes:
>I just found NetTrek 2.0 on a ComputerLand Macintosh.  Is this the release
>version?  From the pictures in MacWorld, it looks like the release version
>is in color.  I don't think this 2.0 version is in color, but it looks to
>be a vast improvement over 1.0.  There is a computer ship when no other
>"TREKKERS" are in the galaxy and the number of computer ships steadily
>increases as you decimate them.  Menus and command keys have been added
>and removed.  No longer can you accelerate then hit <command-j> to jump
>solar systems.  Also, the feature I always thought of as "Warp engines",
>accelerating then hitting full stop then changing direction to accelerate
>very quickly, has been removed.  Some new sounds have been added to the old
>and they work on the Mac II,IIx,IIcx.  If this isn't the release version
>(which is what I believe, then is this shareware or was this one stolen
>like the last version?), when is the release version going to be available?
>I call MacConnection about every two weeks, but to no avail.  If it is OK with
>the author (Randy Carr(?)) I could email this or post it for all the NetTrek
>fans.  Also, what is the shareware fee and what is the address to send it to
>(assuming, of course, that it is shareware)?

Careful.  Well over a year ago, after learning I'd get updated versions, I sent
in my $25 shareware fee.  What'd I get?  Nada.

After noticing the 2.0 blurb in Macworld I called the company (can't
remember their name) that bought it from Randy.  There is no upgrade deal for
those who registered.  Boo hiss.  Seems my registering v1.0 got me nothing
but a warm and fuzzy feeling. |-(

-Dave

           Dave Wells, Apple Computer, Inc.  MS: 37-O  (408) 974-5515
          Mail: dwells@apple.com or AppleLink d.wells or GEnie D.WELLS
 These opinions may be nothing more than the ramblings of a fatigued tinkerer
                         -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 There's one big difference between genius and stupidity.  Genius has limits.

carr@Apple.COM (Randy Carr) (07/14/89)

In article <32992@apple.Apple.COM> dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) writes:
>In article <26145@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> peterb@sag1.ssl.berkeley.edu () writes:
>>I just found NetTrek 2.0 on a ComputerLand Macintosh.  Is this the release
>>version?  From the pictures in MacWorld, it looks like the release version

No, this is not 'The Real Version'.  The version that Premier Technology, Inc.
will be shipping is called 'NetTrek - The Real Version' and is numerically
versioned as 3.0.  Oh, and yes, 3.0 is in color, works under MultiFinder, has
lots of new features [and a few 'features' removed], etc.

How do I know this?  I'm the author.

>Careful.  Well over a year ago, after learning I'd get updated versions, I sent
>in my $25 shareware fee.  What'd I get?  Nada.
>
>After noticing the 2.0 blurb in Macworld I called the company (can't
>remember their name) that bought it from Randy.  There is no upgrade deal for
>those who registered.  Boo hiss.  Seems my registering v1.0 got me nothing
>but a warm and fuzzy feeling. |-(
>
>-Dave

Dave is wrong 'bout an upgrade for those 'honest' early 'shareware' people. I
made a deal with my publisher to get the old 'shareware' people free versions of
the released version.  I just saw the finished box art last night, finally! It
looks like the end is finally near.

Oh, and sorry, I can't send free copies to anybody who sends me money now, as
my pub won't let it go any farther.  Thanks for the tremendous support and
enthusiasm that all of you have had [not forgetting the patience w/ the 'buggy'
early junk versions that got out in the previous years].

Thanks for your attention.

Randy Carr                                          Network Systems Development
Domain: carr@apple.com                                     Apple Computer, Inc.
UUCP:   {nsc,dual,sun,voder}!apple!carr             20525 Mariani Ave. M/S 27-O
AppleLink: CARR2                                            Cupertino, CA 95014

P.S. Hey Dave, your copy is reserved for you...
Opinions & Responses are my own and do NOT represent my employer...

cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) (07/15/89)

>[and a few 'features' removed]

What features were removed?