[comp.sys.mac] A "goody" of MS-Word

cuello@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (07/12/89)

Suppose that you were typing a document in Microsoft Word 4.0. Upon a  final
revision, you decide that some of the information contained in it should
not be released; or maybe some of the wording of the document is not very diplo-matic.

So you decide to delete those parts that should not be read by the recipient of
the document. Or maybe you substitute it for other paragraphs with a better
wording.

And finally you send the document. Suppose you send it using electronic mail.
If the person in question has Microsoft Word 4.0, no problem; your document
will look as neat and polished as it did the last time you saved it.

But if the person has (arg!) version 3.0x, prepare yourself for a rude awake-
ning.

Because our good-old MS Word will have stored in the file _ALL_ the text that
has been typed in that document, regardless if it was deleted, edited, polished,armor-alled...

So, when the guy tries to open the 4.0 document using 3.0x, the file will be
read as text... and everything will be there for him to see!!!

Now, isn't this an efficient way to store information?

<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>><>

              Federico A. CUELLO                | "Some want
           <cuello@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>            |  to change the world
           <cuello@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>            |  others
   Research Assistant/Microcomputer Consultant  |  want to read it
   Dept.of Economics/CSO Microconsulting Office |  we, just want
   University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign   |  to talk with it"
   484 Commerce West, Urbana, Il. 61801 (USA)   |                 Octavio Paz

<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>><>

dmr@csli.Stanford.EDU (Daniel M. Rosenberg) (07/12/89)

cuello@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Suppose that you were typing a document in Microsoft Word 4.0. Upon a  final
>So you decide to delete those parts that should not be read by the recipient of

>If the person in question has Microsoft Word 4.0, no problem; your document
>will look as neat and polished as it did the last time you saved it.
>But if the person has (arg!) version 3.0x, prepare yourself for a rude awake-
>ning.

>Because our good-old MS Word will have stored in the file _ALL_ the text that
>has been typed in that document, regardless if it was deleted, edited, polished,armor-alled...

>Now, isn't this an efficient way to store information?
Yes, depending on which axis of effiency one travels. Microsoft Word 4.0
(and 3.0 too, I believe) can store a multi-hundreds of kilobytes
document wicked fast by storing only changes onto an already present
file, instead of saving the whole thing out to disk.

This is really quite a neat trick. Assuming your editing isn't
usually as drastic as changing, "And I'm going to shoot you Monday"
to "And I'm going to have to talk to you Monday," this isn't a big deal.

The workaround isn't too difficult: it's called "Save As."

--
# Daniel M. Rosenberg     //  Stanford CSLI  // Opinions are my own only.
# dmr@csli.stanford.edu  // decwrl!csli!dmr // dmr%csli@stanford.bitnet

cuello@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>So, when the guy tries to open the 4.0 document using 3.0x, the file will be
>read as text... and everything will be there for him to see!!!

>Now, isn't this an efficient way to store information?

Actually, it's a feature called "fast save" -- and it's a conscious
trade-off between disk and time. When you use fast save, you're keeping
extra information on disk by simply appending changes to the existing file.
For a long file, the time saved can be really significant.

If you don't like it, the obvious answer is simple. Turn it off. (hint:
chech the "commands" dialog and stick the option on a menu. you can turn it
on and off as you want). If you really, really don't like it, you can simply
turn it off permanently.

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

You are false data. Therefore I shall ignore you.

rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu (07/12/89)

/* Written  9:08 pm  Jul 10, 1989 by cuello@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */
Because our good-old MS Word will have stored in the file _ALL_ the text that
has been typed in that document, regardless if it was deleted, edited, polished,armor-alled...

So, when the guy tries to open the 4.0 document using 3.0x, the file will be
read as text... and everything will be there for him to see!!!

Now, isn't this an efficient way to store information?

/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */

I would guess that this is related to whether your document was saved
using 'fast save.'  With this option on, Word just saves the changes,
without rewriting the entire file, to save time.  If you do a 'save
as...' and uncheck 'fast save,' the file will be rewritten, and the
deleted sections should disappear.

David Rudolph       rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois

dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) (07/13/89)

In article <20200038@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> cuello@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Suppose that you were typing a document in Microsoft Word 4.0. Upon a  final
>revision, you decide that some of the information contained in it should
>not be released; or maybe some of the wording of the document is not very diplo-matic.
>
>So you decide to delete those parts that should not be read by the recipient of
>the document. Or maybe you substitute it for other paragraphs with a better
>wording.
>
>And finally you send the document. Suppose you send it using electronic mail.
>If the person in question has Microsoft Word 4.0, no problem; your document
>will look as neat and polished as it did the last time you saved it.
>
>But if the person has (arg!) version 3.0x, prepare yourself for a rude awake-
>ning.
>
>Because our good-old MS Word will have stored in the file _ALL_ the text that
>has been typed in that document, regardless if it was deleted, edited, polished,armor-alled...
>
>So, when the guy tries to open the 4.0 document using 3.0x, the file will be
>read as text... and everything will be there for him to see!!!
>
>Now, isn't this an efficient way to store information?

It gets better.

I was given a word 3 document to proof.  Since I had already upgraded to word 4
I opened it with that.  No problem.  Everything imported okay and I edited a
bunch and saved the new document (with "save as").  Without thinking better,
I sent the completed document to the publisher (who hadn't upgraded yet).

When she opened the document as text only, she saw all of the changes I had
made, but there was a bonus.  At the end of the document was 2/3 of an old
letter I had long ago sent to a friend.  It looks as though there's a problem
here with end-of-file markers!  Lucky it wasn't anything too damaging.  :-)

-Dave

           Dave Wells, Apple Computer, Inc.  MS: 37-O  (408) 974-5515
          Mail: dwells@apple.com or AppleLink d.wells or GEnie D.WELLS
 These opinions may be nothing more than the ramblings of a fatigued tinkerer
                         -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 There's one big difference between genius and stupidity.  Genius has limits.

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (07/13/89)

cuello@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> And finally you send the document. Suppose you send it using
> electronic mail. If the person in question has Microsoft Word 4.0, no
> problem; your document will look as neat and polished as it did the
> last time you saved it.
>
> But if the person has (arg!) version 3.0x, prepare yourself for a rude
> awakening.
>
> Because our good-old MS Word will have stored in the file _ALL_ the
> text that has been typed in that document, regardless if it was
> deleted, edited, polished,armor-alled...

Word 3 has this feature too. It's called 'fast save'. All Word does
during a fast save is remember fixups and appends the list of fixups
with pointers into the doc to the end of the text. Once the magic
number of changes is overstepped, the next save will be a 'full save'.

You can tell which of the two happened by looking at the lower left
corner of the doc's window. During a save it'll display the %age
processed. If it goes from 0-100 in a more or less continuous fashion,
its a 'full save'. If it jumps from 0 to 45 to 80 to 100, for example,
it will have been a fast save.

Opening any W4 doc in W3 will cause W3 to open the file as text. All
the fixups (being text) will therefore be displayed.

Hope this helps.

Stephan Somogyi                 MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com
NetWorkShop Coordinator                    or
MacUser                      ...sun!cup.portal.com!MacUserLabs

Stay alert, trust no-one, keep your laser handy.

Any opinions expressed above are mine.

cuello@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (07/13/89)

Thanks to all of those who replied to my posting. The problem seems to reside
in how the "fast save" of MS-Word works. The saving of deleted information
can be avoided by doing a "save as..." instead of just doing a normal "save"
with the "fast save" on.

A good point was raised by Steve Burdick (sburdick@cup.portal.com). He suggestedthe creation of a menu entry under the File menu that would enable/disable the
fast save feature, i.e. when checked the fast save would be on and viceversa.
This would avoid the having to go to the "save as..." all the time, but in some
cases (i.e. large files) would make things a little slow.

Thanks again.

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (07/15/89)

cuello@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> He suggested the creation of a me nu entry under the File menu that
> would enable/disable the fast save feature

It's there. Look in Commands.