[comp.sys.mac] Trouble with Mouse

chenj@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Sandman) (07/06/89)

	I'm experiencing trouble with my mouse.  It's the original
mouse that came with my three-year-old Mac Plus.  Sometimes when
I slide it, the cursor does not track as it should.  I have to repeat
the move several times.  It happens more when I slide it to the
right than the left.  I know one other person who also experience
a similar problem, but they don't know what's wrong either.  So,
it isn't just my machine.  Also cleaning the mouse doesn't help.

	Does anyone know what's wrong and how to cure it?

			-Jimmy Chen (chenj@acf2.nyu.edu)

Jim.Dynes@f2811.n206.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim Dynes) (07/09/89)

I had the same problem a while back. I tried cleaning the mouse also until
a friend scrapec the rollers inside the mouse with a knife. After that all
was well.

--
Jim Dynes via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!206!2811!Jim.Dynes

paul@steven.COM (paul) (07/11/89)

In article <40782@cmcl2.NYU.EDU>, chenj@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Sandman) writes:

> 	I'm experiencing trouble with my mouse.  It's the original
> ...  Also cleaning the mouse doesn't help.

I know you cleaned it, but check the little wheels in the mouse ball hole.
Lint and stuff will stick to these and it takes something like a knife to
scrape it off.  Rotate them around to make sure they are totally clean.
That fixed my problem.

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (07/12/89)

In article <47@steven.COM> paul@steven.COM (paul) writes:
>In article <40782@cmcl2.NYU.EDU>, chenj@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Sandman) writes:
>>
>> 	I'm experiencing trouble with my mouse.  It's the original
>> ...  Also cleaning the mouse doesn't help.
>
>I know you cleaned it, but check the little wheels in the mouse ball hole.
>Lint and stuff will stick to these and it takes something like a knife to
>scrape it off.  Rotate them around to make sure they are totally clean.
>That fixed my problem.

     DO NOT USE A KNIFE FOR THIS PURPOSE.  YOU WILL SCRATCH THE
SURFACE OF THE LITTLE WHEELS, THUS CAUSING THE BUILDUP PROCESS TO
OCCUR AT A MUCH GREATER RATE IN THE FUTURE.

     Use a Q-tip or other cotton swab, soaked in alcohol, to loosen up
the buildup on the wheels.  Then, if especially hard to remove, use
some non-scratching material like wood or plastic to gently dislodge
the deposits.

Earle R. Horton
"People forget how fast you did a job, but they remember how well you
did it."  Salada Tag Lines

amanda@intercon.UUCP (07/12/89)

In article <14353@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) writes:
> Use a Q-tip or other cotton swab, soaked in alcohol, to loosen up
> the buildup on the wheels.  Then, if especially hard to remove, use
> some non-scratching material like wood or plastic to gently dislodge
> the deposits.

The little clips on the caps of cheap ballpoint pens are good for this.
So are long fingernails, but then you get mouse goppo under them, which
is icky :-).

--

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (07/13/89)

From article <14353@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, by earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton):
>      DO NOT USE A KNIFE FOR THIS PURPOSE.  YOU WILL SCRATCH THE
> SURFACE OF THE LITTLE WHEELS, THUS CAUSING THE BUILDUP PROCESS TO
> OCCUR AT A MUCH GREATER RATE IN THE FUTURE.
>
>      Use a Q-tip or other cotton swab, soaked in alcohol, to loosen up
> the buildup on the wheels.  Then, if especially hard to remove, use
> some non-scratching material like wood or plastic to gently dislodge
> the deposits.

I have used my finger-nail with great success and no damage to the
mouse.  Some classic and ADB  mice have metal rollers, so they won't be
damaged.  Others have plastic rollers that are more easily
damaged.

  --
William C. DenBesten
 denbeste@bgsu.edu

omh@brunix (Owen M. Hartnett) (07/13/89)

Although I didn't see the original "Trouble" with the mouse, I did
repair a MacPlus mouse once where the wires had become intermittent
right where they entered the (alleged) strain relief.  Simply pulling
the mouse cable through the strain relief, desoldering the old wires
(while remembering where they came from!), clipping off a small (4")
length, restripping new ends and resoldering saved me a $96.00
mouse replacement fee.

-Owen

Owen Hartnett
Brown University Computer Science

omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET

av@tolsun.oulu.fi (Ari Vaulo) (07/15/89)

In article <40782@cmcl2.NYU.EDU>, chenj@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Sandman) writes:

>       I'm experiencing trouble with my mouse.  It's the original
> ...  Also cleaning the mouse doesn't help.

I have same kind of problem with my original MacPlus mouse.
I tried several times cleaning the mouse, but that does not help
anything. First I believed that dirty rollers were the main reason
for jamming the ball and then that there is bad mouse cable, but
after a while I found the real reason.
There is two little pins (or tabs) in the bottom of mouse (outside).
Or there was two little pins when my mouse was new. Nowadays there
is only the places of pins. The pins itself have gone.
(I think, they are somewhere around my table surface)
And how did I repair this problem. I simply take a little piece of
Scotch tape and 5 pennies coin (the smallest finnish coin) and
glued it between the pin places on the bottom of the mouse.
And my cursor was happy again...

Ari Vaulo
University of Oulu
Dept of Information Pocessing Science
Linnamaa
SF-90570 Oulu
Finland

eMail: av@tolsun.oulu.fi
----------  Impossibles have two weeks delivery  ------------------

sklein@cdp.UUCP (07/15/89)

Cc: conf:comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Trouble with Mouse

Actually, Jimmy Chen, cleaning the mouse will help IF you know which
parts need cleaning.

Remove the mouse ball and examine the socket.  You will notice two
rollers--one for tracking horizontal movement, one for vertical.
The rollers may be either shiny metal or black plastic (I've seen both).

If your mouse is typical, there is probably a thing buildup of gunk on
the rollers.  You'll have to scrape it off.  I usually just use my
fingernail, but depending on how short your nails are, this may not be
practical for you.

After you scrape that crud off, things should work fine.

-shabtai