[comp.sys.mac] Silverlining 5.1

t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (07/13/89)

5.1 Silverlining is out and it has some nice new features. It has a built in
defragmenter, it let's you time the data transfer loops to see which is faster,
it let you see the boot & driver partitions, it lets you create AUX partitions
(there are 7 partition types for unix stuf), it lets you installdifferent
drivers, you can have scratch & free space partitions.

The defragmenter also works on other drives (even floppies!) and allows you
to erase free space.

You can convert older versions of Silverlining formated drives, it moves things
around and does what it needs to. It freed up about 500k after the conversion.

The defragmenting is pretty fast and shows the estimated time to completion.

This software works on a number of different drives in case you don't have a
LaCie and is the best disk formatter/manager I know of. It can be purchased
seperately if you have a Non-LaCie drive.

We have a dozen or more LaCie drives here where I work and I have recommended
LaCies to a dozen or more friends. I'm also the first one to reccomend LaCie
over a year and a half ago here on the net and I still think there one of the
best. They use to be the cheapest but now have competition from Ehman and
others.

Disclamer: I have no connection with LaCie except as a satisfied customer of
over 1-1/2 years.
--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * UofU * t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu

t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) writes:

>5.1 Silverlining is out and it has some nice new features. It has a built in
>defragmenter, it let's you time the data transfer loops to see which is faster,
>it let you see the boot & driver partitions, it lets you create AUX partitions

It's supposed to let you create AUX partitions. We just got a copy in house
and it doesn't work. We're talking to them about it.

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

You are false data. Therefore I shall ignore you.

macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) (07/13/89)

In article <33106@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) writes:
>
>>5.1 Silverlining is out and it has some nice new features. It has a built in

>It's supposed to let you create AUX partitions. We just got a copy in house
>and it doesn't work. We're talking to them about it.

Gee, Chuq "just got" the new Silverling and has already found the thing
doesn't work as "advertised!"  Probably failed the very first time someone
tried to create an AUX partition....

Don't software suppliers do _any_ testing of some of this junk that is
shipped?  Are some of these places completely ignoring an alpha and/or beta
testing phase?  I'm sure it's a lot cheaper to do it that way, but don't they
have any concern for their credibility?

Jim

--

macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) or lakesys!macak@csd1.milw.wisc.edu

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) (07/13/89)

In article <2179@wasatch.utah.edu> t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) writes:
>5.1 Silverlining is out and it has some nice new features. It has a built in
>defragmenter, it let's you time the data transfer loops to see which is faster,
>it let you see the boot & driver partitions, it lets you create AUX partitions
>(there are 7 partition types for unix stuf), it lets you installdifferent
>drivers, you can have scratch & free space partitions.

  Anyone know if there is any type of upgrade for owners of previous versions
of Silverlining?

						Jeff White
						University of Pennsylvania
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) (07/14/89)

>  Anyone know if there is any type of upgrade for owners of previous versions
>of Silverlining?

I believe it is $5.00, plus your master disk.

Ray

eirikur@ddif.dec.com (Eirikur Hallgrimsson) (07/14/89)

MacConnection, the big mailorder outlet, just told me that they have stopped
carrying Silverlining.  Where can I get it (I have seen it and I like it),
and how much should I expect to pay?

Eirikur Hallgrimsson
eh@ddif.dec.com

t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (07/14/89)

In article <12826@netnews.upenn.edu> jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Jeffrey M White) writes:
>  Anyone know if there is any type of upgrade for owners of previous versions
>of Silverlining?
>
>						Jeff White
>						University of Pennsylvania
>						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

I just spoke with their sales dept. and they said to send $5 & your old disk
and they'll send you 5.0 (They said 5.1 isn't out, hum, someone I know has it!)

--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * UofU * t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu

PFTERRY@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (07/14/89)

Yes. If you return your original disk with $5.00 (I think it is), they
will provide you with an update. You can call the customer support
number (800/999-0143) to get the specifics. (It might be $10; I'm not
sure now.

Fred Terry

news@sun.Eng.Sun.COM (news) (07/15/89)

From: garths%glass@Sun.COM (Garth Snyder)

     rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) writes:

    >> Anyone know if there is any type of upgrade for owners of previous
    >> versions of Silverlining?

    >I believe it is $5.00, plus your master disk.

I just called LaCie at the telephone number posted here not too long
ago and was told that the upgrade price is $39.95.  This is definitely
an _upgrade_ price, as they mentioned that you must send back the
original disk.

I bought my LaCie drive about a year and a half ago.  Perhaps more
recent versions of the software are cheaper to upgrade.

--------------------
Garth Snyder
Sun Microsystems, mail drop 14-40       ARPA: garths@sun.com
2550 Garcia Avenue                      ALSO: garth@boulder.colorado.edu
Mountain View, CA  94043
--------------------

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (07/15/89)

The company I work for wrote the software that one of the well known
Mac drive vendors uses.  I don't know if I am allowed to mention who
they are, but they are one of the companies that charges a lot for
their drives relative to other companies with essentially identical
hardware.

We wrote the driver and the formatter/installer program.  We tested
them.  We installed them on all our Macs.  We used them all the time
as part of our normal work.  They were fine.  We sent them off to
the drive vendor.  The software at this point was as reliable as
at least half of the competing products.

For the next several months we would hear from them every few weeks.  They
would report some minor bug and we would fix it.  I would check out
each bug on all the competing drivers ( both to see if it might be
an Apple bug and to see if anyone else made the same mistakes I did ).

All but one of the bugs they reported were present in one or more of
the other companies released software.

Finally we got all these bugs out and they started shipping their
drives with our software.  Their testing seemed to work.  They've
not sent any bug reports since they started shipping, which was
a few months ago.

Let me give an example of something that many drivers get wrong ( and
that I got wrong but was discovered in testing before the software was
released ).  SE accelerators.  Unless the driver is very defensive
at boot time, things can fail.  Worse, the way things fail can depend
on which board you have: a Radius board, for example, will cause a
different failure than that caused by a Dove board.

I think I understand now why they are able to charge a lot for their
drives: they work.  Now that I think about it, Apple's software works,
and Apple charges a lot for their drives.

Note that this is not meant to imply that the less expensive products
are not good or that they are not tested.  Rather, this is meant as
an example that there are products that are well tested.

This note should also be taken as a warning that not all Mac disk
drivers are created equal.  One of the drivers, for example, that
would not have passed the testing that my driver passed was the one
that many vendors of inexpensive disks are bundling with their drives.

Were there any inexpensive drivers that were good?  Yes.  SilverLining
was good.  I only have one complaint with it ( see below ).  I don't
recall it hitting any of the bugs that my driver hit.  If I could not
use my own driver, I would as fast as possible install SilverLining.

My one complaint is that they use their own format for the partition
information ( on the version I have; they may have changed ).  I've
got a NuBus SCSI card in my Mac II whose software wants to understand
the partitioning on the disk.  It does not know about SilverLining's
format.

					Tim Smith