[comp.sys.mac] Too Much System Memory Being Allocated

GTWW2Z9Z@umiami.miami.edu (Jason Gross) (07/16/89)

Hey, would anyone know a good reason my Mac SE would allocate 3 times
the memory needed to the System file?  I've removed all inits and cdevs,
check at all levels with all programs for a virus, completely re-formatted
my hard drive (ugh!) and re-installed the System Software (6.02) from the
original disks and still when you go to the About Finder... dialog,
it lists the System file as taking up 651K!  Now, this is causing problems
cause the event stack (I think that's what it's called) is crossing over
into the application heap (system error #28) whenever I run something
biggish like Canvas 2.0 (sorry, I only can afford 1 Meg right now :( ).

I can only think that I have either bad SIMMs or a bad MMU.  This problem
only started recently.  Anybody got any ideas or know of where I can go
to get a memory tester?

Thanks oodles!

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
Not my damn planet  | At the tone, leave your reply and Visa card number at

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (07/16/89)

In article <1274@umiami.miami.edu> GTWW2Z9Z@umiami.miami.edu (Jason Gross) writes:
>Hey, would anyone know a good reason my Mac SE would allocate 3 times
>the memory needed to the System file?

We had a problem like this with a Mac II at work.  After much pulling our
hairs, we finally checked the General control panel, and found that the
RAM cache was goddamn HUGE!  Check yours.\

>Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)

-Ivan

Internet: captkidd@athena.mit.edu