[comp.sys.mac] $129 1MB SIMMs for end users - a lie?

dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) (07/13/89)

I mentioned seeing the $129 SIMM price on a local BBS, and was
basically told that this couldn't be true, and that only
resellers can get this price.

Can somebody that has bought 4 or fewer 1MB SIMMs from some
dealer for $129 or less please get in touch with me?  If I'm
wrong, I'd like to retract the statement, but if not...

--
David Elliott		dce@Solbourne.COM
			...!{boulder,nbires,sun}!stan!dce

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (07/13/89)

In article <1597@marvin.Solbourne.COM> dce@Solbourne.com (David Elliott) writes:
|I mentioned seeing the $129 SIMM price on a local BBS, and was
|basically told that this couldn't be true, and that only
|resellers can get this price.

I didn't get that impression from the ads in the back of MacWeek.

	/JBL
=
UUCP:     levin@bbn.com (new) or {backbone}!bbn!levin (old)
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com       		POTS: (617) 873-3463
   "Earn more sessions by sleeving."

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (07/14/89)

In article <1597@marvin.Solbourne.COM> dce@Solbourne.com (David Elliott) writes:
>Can somebody that has bought 4 or fewer 1MB SIMMs from some
>dealer for $129 or less please get in touch with me?  If I'm

  No dealer's going to give you 129.00 per simm but here are a few of this
weeks MacWeek mail order ads for end users:

  Chip Merchant, 129.00 per simm  800-426-6375
  Memory Masters, 139.00 per simm 800-726-2897  {don't buy from them I've had
                                            some problems, this is FYI only}
  If you mention Chip Merchant these people will match their price
  Technology Works 800 622 2210

  Those are the three cheapest vendor's I can find this week, a note on
Memory Masters, I wouldn't do business with them again if they were the
last vendor's on earth, you've been warned.

  Hope this helps.
--
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|/////////////////////////////////////////
David M. O'Rourke____________________|_____________dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

rampil@cca.ucsf.edu (Ira Rampil) (07/14/89)

I  don't know what got Dave upset at Memory Masters, but I have
bought 4M of SIMMs from them and have sent four other folks from
my department down to them in San Jose.  We were all satisfied at
price and service.  I would recommend them again (unless I found
a cheaper source!).

cheerio,
Ira Rampil
Department of Anesthesia

N.B.  Memory Masters is nothing to me but a satisfying vendor!

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (07/14/89)

It really is true; looking in the back of MacWeek, and to not reiterate
what has already been mentioned, I will add more info.

The Chip Merchant
1 meg SIMMs, 100NS, low profile, 5 year guarantee: $129 (Video upgrade
for $69)
800-426-6375 or 619-268-4774
"Prices subject to drop without notice"

South Coast Electronics
1 meg SIMMS, 80ns low profile, lifetime Warranty, same day shipping: $129
800-289-8801 or 213 489 7824
FAX:  213-489-0266

Digi-Graphics
1 meg SIMMS, 100ns DIP, 1 yr gurantee:  $129.
801-544-2009

Take your pick-- the second one sounds like the best deal to me.

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

werner@molokai.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (07/14/89)

In <MYjDi6K00UhWE12Uka@andrew.cmu.edu>, wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu writes:

> 1 meg SIMMs, 100NS, low profile, 5 year guarantee: $129 (Video upgrade
 				  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 1 meg SIMMS, 80ns low profile, lifetime Warranty, same day shipping: $129
				  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	please remember, that it is not the lifetime of your SIMMs, but
	the lifetime of the company selling them to you, that is the
	limiting factor.

				---Werner  (wise beyond my years)

--
--------------------------> please send REPLIES to <------------------------
INTERNET:    uhrig@mcc.com     (if unavailable: werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu)

mblakele@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tad Blakeley) (07/17/89)

In article <MYjDi6K00UhWE12Uka@andrew.cmu.edu> wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) writes:
>The Chip Merchant
>1 meg SIMMs, 100NS, low profile, 5 year guarantee: $129 (Video upgrade
>for $69)
     ^^^^
	Is this a good price for the 8-bit video upgrade, or are there better
(i.e. cheaper) vendors?

>b.bum
>wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

						-- tad

--
W       "Everybody who was just waiting to hear the song with the word       S
I	_fuck_ in it can leave now..."  Gordon Gano, after _Add_It_Up_       T