[comp.sys.mac] multiple startup systems on a single harddisk

belk@pyr.gatech.EDU (Nasr Ed. Belkeir) (07/04/89)

I have a MacIIx with two systems on it (arabic and english). When I boot
the machine I always boot in the arabic system. I tried to switch to the
english system using the <option,command> combination as indicated in the
manual but I always get the following message "system busy". One remark
though, my two system reside on the same hard disk. When I try to switch
to the english system from a floppy it works fine. I am not interested in
switching from the floppy ... too slow. I would like to find a way to switch
between two startup systems on the same hard disk. Did anyone out there
encountered the same problem ? Any solutions, I need help ??????

__Nasr__

e-mail: belk@pyr.gatech.edu
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!belk

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (07/05/89)

In article <8667@pyr.gatech.EDU> belk@pyr.gatech.EDU (Nasr Ed. Belkeir) writes:
>I have a MacIIx with two systems on it (arabic and english). When I boot
>the machine I always boot in the arabic system. I tried to switch to the
>english system using the <option,command> combination as indicated in the
>manual but I always get the following message "system busy". One remark
>though, my two system reside on the same hard disk. When I try to switch
>to the english system from a floppy it works fine. I am not interested in
>switching from the floppy ... too slow. I would like to find a way to switch
>between two startup systems on the same hard disk. Did anyone out there
>encountered the same problem ? Any solutions, I need help ??????
>
>__Nasr__
>
>e-mail: belk@pyr.gatech.edu
>--
>Georgia Insitute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
>...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!belk

You should get a copy of Blesser, a utility on Phil & Dave's CD.  It lets
you designate which system folder's system should be used.  It does require
a reboot though.  Also, I have heard of a utility called system-switcher,
but have never seen it.

Hope this helps.

Josh
-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) (07/07/89)

In article <8667@pyr.gatech.EDU>, belk@pyr (Nasr Ed. Belkeir) writes:
>I have a MacIIx with two systems on it (arabic and english). When I boot
>the machine I always boot in the arabic system. I tried to switch to the
>english system using the <option,command> combination as indicated in the
>manual but I always get the following message "system busy". One remark
>though, my two system reside on the same hard disk. When I try to switch
>to the english system from a floppy it works fine. I am not interested in
>switching from the floppy ... too slow. I would like to find a way to switch
>between two startup systems on the same hard disk. Did anyone out there
>encountered the same problem ? Any solutions, I need help ??????
>
>__Nasr__

There are 2 utilities to do that:

The Blesser from Apple (check on Sumex)
System Switcher from Canon.

Basically, the way they work is by "blessing" the system folder you
want to use. Of course you will have to reboot after each blessing.
Francois Felix INGRAND                          SRI International, AIC
felix@AI.SRI.COM                                333, Ravenswood Avenue
felix%AI.SRI.COM@UUNET.UU.NET                   MENLO PARK, CA 94025, USA
"Pourquoi tant de haine..." (Edika)      "Read my Lisp... No new syntax" (nil)

hardy@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Hardy) (07/13/89)

Here's how I once dealt with this problem.  It's gross and disgusting,
but all you need is the finder--no special software.

First of all, notice that the system folder that you have booted from
has a little, teeny Macintosh icon on it.  The object is to "move"
the icon from the folder it's on right now to the folder you want
to boot from.  (Note also that there's nothing significant in the
name "System Folder"; you can boot from any folder that has a system
file in it.)

Open the system folder with the Macintosh icon.
Select the system file and drag it to the desktop.
Close the folder.  The Macintosh icon should no longer appear on it.

Now open the other folder that you want to boot from.
Verify that this folder contains a system file.
Close the folder.
Now, THIS folder should have the Mac incon.

Select the system file on the desktop and drag it back to its "home" folder.
The Mac icon should stay on the OTHER folder.

Reboot.
If not for progress, where would we BE?!

Mark

t-atulb@microsoft.UUCP (Atul Butte) (07/13/89)

In article <10727@ihlpb.ATT.COM> hardy@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Hardy) writes:
>Select the system file on the desktop and drag it back to its "home" folder.
>The Mac icon should stay on the OTHER folder.
>
>Mark

There is a program which blesses a System Folder for you, appropriately
named Blesser. It was written by David McGary. You can find it on the
Phil and Dave's Excellent CD or probably at Sumex. The program is free.

Atul Butte
Microsoft Corp.
uunet!microsoft!t-atulb

dawyd@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (07/17/89)

In article <10727@ihlpb.ATT.COM> hardy@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Hardy) writes:

>Now open the other folder that you want to boot from.
>Verify that this folder contains a system file.
>Close the folder.
>Now, THIS folder should have the Mac incon.
>
>Select the system file on the desktop and drag it back to its "home" folder.
>The Mac icon should stay on the OTHER folder.

I didn't see the original problem, but it brings up a question that I've
always had: what are the nasty effects of having more than one system
on a hard drive?  Apple has always said that it's a bad idea, but
I've never seen anything more specific than that.

Appreciate your input.

David Walton
University of Chicago Comp Sci Microlab

Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, not those of my employer--Thanks to God.