[comp.sys.mac] Tolerance of Macs to lowered Voltages

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (07/15/89)

How robust is the Mac with respect to lower power voltages?  This is the
scenario: I have an AC unit in the room with my Mac (to keep it, my HD (and
myself :->) cool on hot days).  It's a cheap AC unit; it stays permanently on.
When it's turned on, the lights in the room dim somewhat, so I assume that it's
drawing enough power to lower the voltage out of the plugs in the room.

Is this going to bother the Mac?  I've got it hooked up through an backup power
supply, but it never kicks in, since there's still power going through.  I
don't know whether it's evening out the voltage or not (it's a DataShield 350).
Anything to be concerned about in this situation vis-a-vis longt-term damage to
my Mac's circuitry?  Hope not, 'cause I don't see how I can really run it on
HOT days w/o my AC. :->

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) (07/17/89)

In article <4462@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>How robust is the Mac with respect to lower power voltages?  This is the
>scenario: I have an AC unit in the room with my Mac (to keep it, my HD (and
>myself :->) cool on hot days).  It's a cheap AC unit; it stays permanently on.

  On some recent hot days here in Philadelphia, our line voltage was
occasionally around 90 volts or lower (low enough that most of the flourescent
lights in our house wouldn't start).  The Mac worked fine.  I wouldn't worry.

						Jeff White
						University of Pennsylvania
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu