[comp.sys.mac] HP Deskwriter Printing Volume

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (07/12/89)

I just read in today's MacWeek that the DeskJet was designed for an
average daily page count of 20-25 pages, and a MAXIMUM of 50 pages per
day!!

Are they kidding?  That's just 20 letters a day, or one half-hour
sitcom script!!!

Does anyone else think this is a bit low??? (!)

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu   DELPHI: JSULLIVAN	| University of Southern California

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (07/12/89)

In article <8903@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
> I just read in today's MacWeek that the DeskJet was designed for an
> average daily page count of 20-25 pages, and a MAXIMUM of 50 pages per
> day!!
>
> Are they kidding?  That's just 20 letters a day, or one half-hour
> sitcom script!!!
>
> Does anyone else think this is a bit low??? (!)

Well, those figures seem to be generic to the DeskJet printer family.
The product specification in the service manual considers "Typical
printer usage" to be "25 pages/day (average), 50 pages/day (maximum)".
It also specifies a mean-time-between-failures of 20,000 hours, and a
mechanism life of 60,000 pages.

I guess my wife and I are "typical" DeskJet users;  we rarely go above
30 pages per day, and probably average less than 10 pages/day over the
long haul.

I think of the DeskJet and DeskJet Plus (and, now, the DeskWriter) as
very effective _personal_ printers... good for one or two people or
perhaps a small office with a relatively low output of verbiage.  I
probably wouldn't recommend them for larger offices (>> 2 people) or for
anyone who needs to churn out large amounts of paper... they don't seem
to be designed with that particular market in mind.

For one thing, their mechanism lifetime isn't long enough (our 10-person
office ran 60,000 pages through our LaserWriter in under 9 months).  For
another, the cost of ink cartridges is still relatively high; a
cartridge costing $15 in quantity is good for on-the-rough-order-of 1000
average pages of draft-quality printing, or perhaps half that much in
letter-quality mode.

If you really have a need to output > 100 pages/day, then you may well
be happier with a LaserJet (plus a third-party driver), or a LaserWriter
or some other PostScript laser-printer.

I like the DeskJet quite a bit, and from all I've heard the DeskWriter
sounds like a real winner ->in the market for which it was designed<-.
It's not a laser-printer, and is not intended for network access or
high-volume printing.  Within those constraints, it appears to fill a
vacant niche in the Mac printer market quite nicely indeed.  It is not,
however, the be-all-and-end-all of Mac printers.
--
Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

seo@cs.utexas.edu (Jungyun Seo) (07/13/89)

In article <8903@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
>I just read in today's MacWeek that the DeskJet was designed for an
>average daily page count of 20-25 pages, and a MAXIMUM of 50 pages per
>day!!
>
>Are they kidding?  That's just 20 letters a day, or one half-hour
>sitcom script!!!
>
>Does anyone else think this is a bit low??? (!)

I have to totally agree with you.  If it is true, then one have to
spend FOUR DAYS to print his 200 page dissertation with a Deskwriter.
By the way, is it strictly required to keep the limitation of the
MAXIMUM of 50 pages/day for a Deskwriter?
What will happen if more than, say, 100 pages are printed at once?
Will it cause serious mechanical or electrical problems, or the Deskwriter
will make dirty output, or what else?
As a grad student who is planning to write dissertation on a Mac, it
is very important question to be answered before buying a Deskwriter.
I appreciate any comments on this matter.

Jungyun
1      Jungyun Seo         UUCP:  uunet!cs.utexas.edu!seo                     1
1      (512) 471-9573      ARPA:  seo@cs.utexas.edu                           1

kevinh@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Kevin Hudson) (07/14/89)

>By the way, is it strictly required to keep the limitation of the
>MAXIMUM of 50 pages/day for a Deskwriter?
>What will happen if more than, say, 100 pages are printed at once?
>Will it cause serious mechanical or electrical problems, or the Deskwriter
>will make dirty output, or what else?

>Jungyun

To start off, the "limitations" are basically numbers that represent two
things: First, they are the numbers that HP uses to generate projected
warranty and repair statistics. The only reliability concern with printing
large daily amounts is that you will (statistically) have more repairs
necessary per unit time than is indicated for those that use their printers
within the described usage (gee, what a revelation). Second, the numbers
are a guideline to help people decide if this is the right printer for them.
For instance, larger and more frequent print jobs require that the printhead
be replaced more often. If you anticipate printing 500-1000 pages a day,
expect to replace the printhead daily. This may be unacceptable for say, a
networked printer that is used by many people who have no idea when the
printhead was last changed.

Kevin Hudson
HP Vancouver Division
(206) 896-2534

davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) (07/15/89)

kevinh@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Kevin Hudson) writes:

> >By the way, is it strictly required to keep the limitation of the
> >MAXIMUM of 50 pages/day for a Deskwriter?
> >What will happen if more than, say, 100 pages are printed at once?
> >Will it cause serious mechanical or electrical problems, or the Deskwriter
> >will make dirty output, or what else?
>
> >Jungyun
>
> To start off, the "limitations" are basically numbers that represent two
> things: First, they are the numbers that HP uses to generate projected
> warranty and repair statistics. The only reliability concern with printing
> large daily amounts is that you will (statistically) have more repairs
> necessary per unit time than is indicated for those that use their printers
> within the described usage (gee, what a revelation). Second, the numbers
> are a guideline to help people decide if this is the right printer for them.
> For instance, larger and more frequent print jobs require that the printhead
> be replaced more often. If you anticipate printing 500-1000 pages a day,
> expect to replace the printhead daily. This may be unacceptable for say, a
> networked printer that is used by many people who have no idea when the
> printhead was last changed.
>
> Kevin Hudson
> HP Vancouver Division
> (206) 896-2534
> ----------

BTW, it us worthwhile to point out that the 50 ppd value is NOT based on the
speed of the printer, but, as Kevin points out, consideration of average use
in order to make reasonable estimates of warranty repair costs per annum,
etc. If the printer were continously printing, it can print far more than 50
pages in one day. The Dwskwriter for that matter is also quite a bit faster
than the DeskJet, due to the improved driver and data compression. So the
guy with the PhD dissertation would be able to print out his 200 pages without
waiting 3 days.

Hey Vancouver (maybe Kevin), could you post the # of ppd for 1) DeskJet and
2) DeskWriter if either of these printer were confronted with continuous
printing?

Dave Waller
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Workstation Group
Pacific Technology Park
1266 Kifer Rd.
Sunnyvale, CA
(408) 746-5324
[ucbvax!]hplabs!hpdstma!dave | dave@hpdstma.ptp.hp.com
+-------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Standard disclaimer:                |  "I refuse to put anything in quotes  |
| The opinions expressed above are    |   in this space"                      |
| solely my own, and in no way reflect|                                       |
| those of my employer.               |                                       |
+-------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+

rickk@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Rick Klaus) (07/18/89)

     If the DeskWriter/Jet were printing continuously we could print into the
thousands of pages in a day.  The DW averaged 1 ppm over a wide range of
documents that we tested.  We perform reliability tests that print about 500
pages in an 8-hour shift and even these aren't kept running continuously.

Rick Klaus
rickk@hpvcfs1

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (07/18/89)

If you want even more accurate data, read on.  Our throughput tests covering
about 40 pages of text, mixed text and graphics, and pure graphics resulted
in the following speeds:

1 Meg Mac+:    0.98 pages per minute
2 Meg Mac SE:  1.08 pages per minute
5 Meg Mac II:  1.66 pages per minute