[comp.sys.mac] upgrading to NFNTs

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (07/16/89)

I've just received my screen font upgrade from Adobe (16 diskettes!)
and updated my system. This may be regarded as a flame...

I expected some incompatibilities, but I figure that's the price of
staying current. For example, I knew Word referenced fonts by ID rather
than name (real bad idea) but since I have everything defined by style
sheets, that wasn't too bad (would have been *much* easier if Word supported
*character* styles -- a good idea in general). XPress was, of course,
unaffected, as was Illustrator. The two big surprises were Filemaker II
(from Claris) and Cricket Draw. Filemaker not only forgot the original
fonts but arbitrarily decided to reformat all of my layouts!!! At best,
I had hoped to just 'select all' and change the fonts back, as appropriate.
However, I had to spend hours redesigning every file I had. Cricket Draw
also forgot the fonts, but now IT DOESN'T RECOGNIZE ANY OF THE NEW FONTS!!!
I.e., it's font menu is *very* short now (just the three or four standard
Mac screen fonts). This, of course, renders it useless. If anybody has
a work-around, I'd certainly appreciate some help. (Canvas is OK, btw.)

Flame not quite off, but cooling...

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (07/16/89)

I lied -- Canvas was *not* OK after the change to NFNTs. I had to re-edit
all of my diagrams. Sorry for the confusion.

--

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (07/17/89)

In article <5046@mnetor.UUCP> frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
>I've just received my screen font upgrade from Adobe (16 diskettes!)
>and updated my system. This may be regarded as a flame...
>... Cricket Draw
>also forgot the fonts, but now IT DOESN'T RECOGNIZE ANY OF THE NEW FONTS!!!
>I.e., it's font menu is *very* short now (just the three or four standard
>Mac screen fonts). This, of course, renders it useless. If anybody has
>a work-around, I'd certainly appreciate some help. (Canvas is OK, btw.)
>
>Flame not quite off, but cooling...

I just phoned Cricket tech. support. While the support person was not
rude, I felt he was arrogant. The relevant quote was "we have no intention
of supporting an unannounced font technology". Cricket Draw recognizes
only the first 256 font IDs. Period. Given that this product is still
version 1 since its release (three? four? years ago), I see no hope
for a resolution. I'll be changing all my Cricket files (shudder) to
Canvas (I also phoned Deneba, who were much more receptive and have a
new release planned for late this summer. Previously, my experience with
Deneba tech. support has been less than favourable. A new leaf?)

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X
UUCP: {allegra, linus}!utzoo!mnetor!frank

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (07/17/89)

In article <5046@mnetor.UUCP> frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
>I've just received my screen font upgrade from Adobe (16 diskettes!)
>and updated my system. This may be regarded as a flame...

1) these were the original Mac screen fonts (Helvetica, etc.) plus
   others I have purchased
2) Adobe did send out an announcement to registered users, about a month ago
   (this probably doesn't include Mac users per se, just purchasers of
   fonts from Adobe)
3) the cost for the set was US$75; I think the Mac disk alone was $20,
   as were other subsets (each typically containing half a dozen fonts);
   seemed reasonable to me at the time (that's 91 typefaces in various
   sizes and styles, btw)
4) yes, it was worth the pain, but I don't recommend it for everyone (i.e.,
   if you're happy now, you should probably wait until your favourite
   packages support this format; of course, some may never do so :-(
--

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (07/18/89)

In article <5046@mnetor.UUCP> frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
>I've just received my screen font upgrade from Adobe (16 diskettes!)
>and updated my system. This may be regarded as a flame...
>
>I expected some incompatibilities, but I figure that's the price of
>staying current. For example, I knew Word referenced fonts by ID rather
>(etc.)

Does anyone know how Excel 2.2 stores font information? (The ads say you can
use up to 256 fonts in a spreadsheet. Makes me suspicious.)

How about Wingz? Full Impact?