[comp.sys.mac] Microsoft File

cjdb@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) (10/17/87)

Is it possible to get Microsoft File to recognize a new font? It's
running on an SE with a 20 Meg hard disk. I believe it's an old
version of File (I'm posting for a friend).

Any replies would be welcomed (e-mail O.K.).

Thanks.

--
Bitnet:	  	 lib.cb@uchicago.bitnet
Internet:      lib.cb@chip.uchicago.edu

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (10/17/87)

>Is it possible to get Microsoft File to recognize a new font?

No.

>I believe it's an old
>version of File (I'm posting for a friend).

There is no other version.

Take a hint from all the other ex-File users. Find a new database. It's been
over two years since Microsoft last updated File, and from my attempts to
get an answer out of them over it, they seem to have no intention of doing
any further support on it.

Go get Filemaker+. It's a good, inexpensive little database with very strong
report writer features.

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach					chuq@sun.COM
Editor, OtherRealms					Delphi: CHUQ

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (10/22/87)

In article <31157@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>Take a hint from all the other ex-File users. Find a new database. It's been
>over two years since Microsoft last updated File, and from my attempts to
>get an answer out of them over it, they seem to have no intention of doing
>any further support on it.
>
>Go get Filemaker+. It's a good, inexpensive little database with very strong
>report writer features.

It's so good (to quote the President of Remington), Microsoft bought the
company, and tried to buy the database -- obviously to replace File.

Frankly, HyperCard is a better database than File, which isn't saying
much...

                    "What are you so damn
                     cheerful about?  The
                     stock market crashed!"
                                           "I'm a software engineer.  I
                                            TRAFFIC in human misery."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

dwi@manta.NOSC.MIL (Steve Stamper) (07/18/89)

is anyone familiar with Microsoft File?  We use it at our company here
and recently a floppy (400k MFS) with an important document (they had no
backup of course!) went south.  We used Symanteks SUM utilities to
get the file back, all data appears to be there when I look at the file
in Res-Edit or whatever, but when I try and load it into MS File it
says the data format is bad (probably bad in 1 sector, since it loads for
quite a while before I get the message).

Any ideas on how I can get MS File to accept this thing as good,
considering probably 90%+ of the file is intact?

-Roger Uzun