[comp.sys.mac] Hard Disk Recommendations summary plus request for more INFO!!!

wayne@pur-phy (Wayne K. Schroll) (07/18/89)

*********
    I am posting this for a friend.  Please direct all comments, inquiry,
etc. to sho@risc.com.
*********

sho@risc.com:

Well, if you can cast your mind back to the stone ages, you might
recall that I asked about the relative merits of small, external hard
disks (approx. 20-40M) for a friend of mine.  Unfortunately, several
things have happened since then.  First, our machines were down for
nearly two weeks do to an unfortunate concatenation of circumstances.
Secondly, the connection between where I work and where I go to school
(and post my news) has been spotty at best.  Third,... well... dang it,
I've been lazy.  So, here is what I have gotten, and there is a good
possibility that some mail may have bounced while our machines were
down.  Thanks to all who responded, even if I couldn't get any
mail back to you.

These responses do not even come *close* to being a good basis for
judgement.  I would *greatly* appreciate any other input I might get
(and so would Jack, I'm sure)  If you have had any positive or
negative experiences with some brands, please write.  As you can see
from this summary, we don't have much info yet!

PLEASE RESPOND BY MAIL TO sho@risc.com.  The same circs. which made it
hard for me to post news via my school machine make it hard to read
news, and to read mail at that account.  Thank you.

--------
From: chn%alpha@lanl.gov (Charles Neil)
To: sho
Subject: Re: Hard disk reccomendations?  (reply by mail only!)

I recommend avoiding Jasmine.  I tried to buy a large HD from them;
the order sat around for 5 months and each month they would say
"probably next month".  Instead, I recommend MicroNet.  They sell
a 20 meg external Miniscribe.  They are reputable and responsive
both in sales and technical departments.  Their number is
(714) 837-6033.  A drawback is that they supply less software with
their drives than other companies.

I believe the "cadillac" of external drives is FWB in San Francisco--
(415) 563-8381.  Their prices are 20-30% above the rest
of the market, but I have never heard anything but the highest
praise for their producs with regard to speed and reliability.

Charlie Neil (chn@lanl.gov)
Los Alamos National Laboratory (505) 665-0978
--------
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 89 18:25:21 EDT
From: mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder)
To: sho
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

Sho --

My recommendation is a DataFrame XP30.  It is very reliable and quite a
fast drive.  Its only drawback is that you pay for the reliability.  Baka
sells Jasmines as well, but the performance and reliability of the DataFrame
really make it the better buy.

--
Mark H. Anbinder        At Baka starting 8 June ** mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
Baka Industries                                 ** (biar!)memory!mha.uucp
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 89 09:49:17 -0700
From: Joseph Jacobs <jacobs@polya.stanford.edu>
To: sho
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

Sho:

	I'm going to be buying a Mac IIcx within a couple of days and
have been trying to determine exactly the same thing you're asking
about drives.  I am looking for a somewhat larger drive (~80M).  I
have various reports from different people.  Some say that Dataframe
is good.  Some say they've had problems with it.  Some people sayy
Rodime is good.  Some people have heard about a lot of problems with
those, too.  I saw an article in MacWorld (I think) May 89 which
reviewed several (30) drives in the 80-100M range, but they didn't say
much about reliability.  They just compared access times, transfer
rates, etc.  I would be interested in hearing about whatever you find
out today or tomorrow.  (I'll be buying mine by then.  Thanks.

Joseph
jacobs@polya.stanford.edu
--------
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 89 13:42:55 PDT
From: co111abn%sdcc7@ucsd.edu (just TOO much fun...)
To: sho
News-Path: sdcc6!ucsd!ucbvax!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!purdue!mentor.cc.purdue.edu!pur-ee!pur-phy!sho

I'm in the market myself, and growing increasingly confused as
people first praise a drive manufacturer, then cut it to ribbons (as
with Jasmine).  Please let me know what kind of advice you receive;
perhaps this will help diminish my hard drive confusion!

Thanks,

David Hill

dhill@ucsd.edu
dhill@ucsd.bitnet