[comp.sys.mac] Summary: Monitors and MacII performance?

norman@a.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) (07/19/89)

The original post went something like this:

>Does the size of a MacII monitor influence the speed of the machine?
>(In other words, will a <MacIIcx:Dual Page Display> be slower than
>a <MacIIcx, Single Page Display>?) As a related question, does
>running multiple monitors degrade the MacII's performance?

I only got three responses so I won't bother to summarize. The
responders were:

     Kenneth K.F. Lui	   claris!wet!tempest@ames.arc.nasa.gov
     Don Gillies           gillies@a.cs.uiuc.edu
     Steve Burdick         sburdick@cup.portal.com

Draw your own conclusions. Responses follow.

----- Start of Responses -----
-----
-----
Steve writes:
>I don't have much to offer except the observation that Versaterm4.0
>requires vastly more memory as you increase screen size and colors.
>(That's memory assigned under multifinder).
----- End of Responses -----

Well, that's all. Does anyone else care to comment?
+Norm
--
Norman Graham                            Oklahoma State University
  Internet:  norman@a.cs.okstate.edu     Computing and Information Sciences

jg2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jude Anand George) (07/19/89)

norman@a.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) writes:

> >a <MacIIcx, Single Page Display>?) As a related question, does
> >running multiple monitors degrade the MacII's performance?
[..]
> Don writes:
> >only the Macplus is slowed down by the display.  The MacSE and higher
> >all have dual-ported video ram, and custom circuitry to refresh the
> >display (the Mac+ display is refreshed by generating CPU interrupts).

> Well, that's all. Does anyone else care to comment?

I have two monitors, one on an Apple 4-bit video card, the other on an
8-bit.  Screen refreshes are definitely slower with both cards than
with either one, even in 1-bit mode.  Nothing to lose sleep over,
but it's definitely noticeable.

 /                    ::::UUCP:::: the_known_world!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!jg2f+
%\/ Jude Anand George :::BITNET::: jg2f+@ANDREW | jg2f+%andrew@{CMCCVB|CMCCVMA}
\/\ adjudge anger one ::Internet:: jg2f+@andrew.cmu.edu
 \                    :Compuserve: >INET:jg2f+@andrew.cmu.edu