[comp.sys.mac] Microphone II

espo@bpa.BELL-ATL.COM (Bob Esposito) (07/07/89)

	Has anyone tried MicroPhone II, ver.3 ??  I've only seen
	ads in the mags. and was wondering if it supports VT100's?

--
Bob Esposito           uucp: espo@bpa.bell-atl.com, {rutgers|bellcore}!bpa!espo
Bell of Pennsylvania   inet: espo@phlsun.prepnet.com

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (07/07/89)

In article <675@bpa.BELL-ATL.COM> espo@bpa.BELL-ATL.COM (Bob Esposito) writes:

>	Has anyone tried MicroPhone II, ver.3 ??  I've only seen
>	ads in the mags. and was wondering if it supports VT100's?

MicroPhone II, v.3 supports VT100 emulation (as well as zmodem and nearly
every other bell and whistle you'd care to ring or blow).  Contrary to the
impression you may have gotten from the ads, it's not out *yet* but it
should be *real soon*.  Ditto for 4th Dimension v.2, which ads have
already appeared in some Mac mags.

I'm sure Leonard Rosenthol will be able to expand on MP II v.3's
capabilities without compromising any company secrets...

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (07/08/89)

In article <675@bpa.BELL-ATL.COM> espo@bpa.BELL-ATL.COM (Bob Esposito) writes:

>	Has anyone tried MicroPhone II, ver.3 ??  I've only seen
>	ads in the mags. and was wondering if it supports VT100's?
>--
>Bob Esposito           uucp: espo@bpa.bell-atl.com, {rutgers|bellcore}!bpa!espo

I have played with the 3.0b.5 a little. It does support vt100 as well as ANSI
color, zmodem,ymodem-g,xmodem,kermit (i think?)

It has icons or buttons to run scripts. The scripting looks pretty good (from
the little I used it.

If you have some other specific questions, i'll try to answer them.
--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * UofU * t-jacobs@wasatch.utah.edu

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (07/08/89)

The last version (vers 2.0) supported vt100.  I doubt if the company will rip
out an important feature like that for the next version.

(yes, it does support it.)

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (07/09/89)

In article <675@bpa.BELL-ATL.COM>, espo@bpa.BELL-ATL.COM (Bob Esposito) writes:

> 	Has anyone tried MicroPhone II, ver.3 ??  I've only seen
> 	ads in the mags. and was wondering if it supports VT100's?

	MicroPhone II v3.0, as well as all previous versions (since 1.0) of
MicroPhone have supported VT100 emulation.  v2.0 of MicroPhone II extended that
to include support for the VT102 extensions and 3.0 adds a couple of other
extensions as well (such as much better  printer support and color).
	If you, or anyone else, has any questions about MicroPhone II - just
ask!

Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures
MicroPhone II Development Team

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (07/10/89)

Version 3? Was an announcement sent out to registered users?
How does one upgrade from version 2?

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (07/10/89)

In article <5040@mnetor.UUCP>, frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
> Version 3? Was an announcement sent out to registered users?
> How does one upgrade from version 2?

	We have not sent out the upgrade notices to users, but they should be
going out anytime now....
	Anyone who purchased MicroPhone II BEFORE jan 15, 1989 may upgrade for
$50..anyone purchasing it AFTER that date is entitled to a free upgrade.

chou@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Hsiang Chou) (07/11/89)

In article <12622@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:

>	MicroPhone II v3.0, as well as all previous versions (since 1.0) of
>MicroPhone have supported VT100 emulation.  v2.0 of MicroPhone II extended that
>to include support for the VT102 extensions and 3.0 adds a couple of other
>extensions as well (such as much better  printer support and color).
>	If you, or anyone else, has any questions about MicroPhone II - just
>ask!

	My wishes for 3.0:

(1) allow terminal configured with steady cursor (no blinking).
(2) more screen font choices, especially font with point size 10.
(3) in addition to startup script, provide a link to logout script too
    when you quit the application.
(4) more accurate "estimated transfer time" in downloading.
(5) if the prompt text in the dialog of "get ... from dialog" contains
    carriage return, it's displayed as highlighted [cr]. Please remove this.
--
---
Chih-Hsiang Chou	chou@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (07/11/89)

In article<14339@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU>,chou@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Hsiang Chou) writes:
> In article <12622@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>
> >If you, or anyone else, has any questions about MicroPhone II - just ask!
>
> 	My wishes for 3.0:
> (1) allow terminal configured with steady cursor (no blinking).
> (2) more screen font choices, especially font with point size 10.
> (3) in addition to startup script, provide a link to logout script too
>     when you quit the application.
> (4) more accurate "estimated transfer time" in downloading.
> (5) if the prompt text in the dialog of "get ... from dialog" contains
>     carriage return, it's displayed as highlighted [cr]. Please remove this.

	I wish I could tell you that we have solved ALL of these wishes, but
we have not.  Of the five wishes you have, we have solved #4 and #5.
	You will find that no ony are the estimated time more accurate (we
have also made then consistant so that all o the protocols use the same
calculation routine). You will also find a new Graphical progress indicator
for those times when you simply want to know the progress and not all the other
additional info.
	The reason you were seeing a <CR>  in the dialogs and alerts was due to
our replacement of Chicago with our own chicago with the 'losanges' for <CR>,
etc.  We no longer preform this replacement in v3.0 (except locally in the
Script Editor where it is needed).
	I would like you to know that the other three were big issues of
contention as to their place in v3.0 and unfortunately, they did not make it.
They are, however, on the top of my list for future versions (if that helps).

lqyy@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (07/13/89)

In article <12622@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>	If you, or anyone else, has any questions about MicroPhone II - just
>ask!
>
>Leonard Rosenthol
>Software Ventures
>MicroPhone II Development Team

Does MicroPhone II have a "host" mode that allows dialup access to
the mac for file transfers?

Julian Humphries
Cornell University
lqyy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (07/14/89)

In article <19009@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU>, lqyy@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
> In article <12622@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
> >	If you, or anyone else, has any questions about MicroPhone II - just
> >ask!
> >
> >Leonard Rosenthol
> >
> Does MicroPhone II have a "host" mode that allows dialup access to
> the mac for file transfers?

	MicroPhone II does not have a 'host mode' perse, but we it does/will
come with a suite of scripts called 'miniBBS' which will do everything you
probably want for unattended dialup access.  The big advantage of it being a
script (ie it was written using our scripting language) is that you can modify
it to your hearts content to meet your personal requirements.
	With version 3.0 of MicroPhone II, the miniBBS becomes much more
powerful as it can now do things such as display directory contents, auto-
create batches for batchfile xfers, and other nice BBS-like things.  you can
also extend it to take advantage of the MPII interface features like Icons and
dialogs to give your 'BBS' a Mac frontend.

Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures
MicroPhone II Development Team

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) (07/18/89)

In article <12640@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:

	<deleted stuff>

|	We have not sent out the upgrade notices to users, but they should be
|going out anytime now....
|	Anyone who purchased MicroPhone II BEFORE jan 15, 1989 may upgrade for
|$50..anyone purchasing it AFTER that date is entitled to a free upgrade.

How 'bout folks who are obtaining (and registering) Microphone as part of
the Practical Peripherals modem package?  Purchased after Jan 15, 89?

I think the version number is 1.5.

--
Maurice      ARPA:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

jdavid@pnet51.cts.com (Jon Davidson) (07/19/89)

Yes the mini BBS is nice but te beggest deterant to running a bbs on it would
be it's inability to logon locally.  there is no way I'd run a bbs if I could
never logon locally.  When in a script from MPII you cannot do local keyboard
stuff.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: Jon Davidson of Maple Grove, MN ::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::                                               ::
:: + UUCP: rosevax!orbit!pnet51!jdavid           ::
::   + ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!jdavid@nosc.mil  ::
::     + INET: jdavid@pnet51.cts.com             ::
::       + Voice Mailbox: 612/438-6163           ::
::                                               ::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (07/20/89)

In article <1250@blackbird.afit.af.mil>, lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) writes:
> In article <12640@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>
> 	<deleted stuff>
>
> |	We have not sent out the upgrade notices to users, but they should be
> |going out anytime now....
> |	Anyone who purchased MicroPhone II BEFORE jan 15, 1989 may upgrade for
> |$50..anyone purchasing it AFTER that date is entitled to a free upgrade.
> |

> How 'bout folks who are obtaining (and registering) Microphone as part of
> the Practical Peripherals modem package?  Purchased after Jan 15, 89?
>
> I think the version number is 1.5.

	Before I give you the upgrade pricing information, let me explain
something first.  Software Ventures Corp. currently has two products on the
market - MicroPhone and MicroPhone II (versions 1.5 and 2.0 respectively).
Both products are still sold and still supported.
	We are about to release a new version of MicroPhone II (v3.0) and will
be offering upgrade paths for both current MicroPhone II users as well as
MicroPhone users who wish to upgrade.  Since the MicroPhone users will be
upgrading to an entirely new product, the upgrade cost is the difference in
cost between the two products which is $145.
	All MicroPhone and MicroPhone II will get upgrade notices shortly
which also explains the above and includes the details of how to go about g
getting the upgrade.

Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures

to the more powerful MicroPhone II package.

In article <791@orbit.UUCP>, jdavid@pnet51.cts.com (Jon Davidson) writes:
> Yes the mini BBS is nice but te beggest deterant to running a bbs on it would
> be it's inability to logon locally.  there is no way I'd run a bbs if I could
> never logon locally.  When in a script from MPII you cannot do local keyboard
> stuff.

	That is correct, John, there would be no way to 'login local' and as
such we do not (can not) truly bill it as a BBS.  What it is, is a series of
scripts that provide a way to set a Macintosh up as an unattended file transfer
station so that people can call in an exchange files.  There is no messaging,
no conferencing, and (as you point out) no local login.  We are NOT trying to
make it a full fledged BBS, we are, however, providing an often requested
function - the ability to set it up for unattended file transfers.
	We have found that many/most of the people who call in requesting a
'host mode' need one so that they can have 'users' call in and leave files.
We get LOTS of calls from 'typesetting/Laser Parlors' who are now setting up
'hosts' so taht users can call in and leave the files they want printed. And
for this type of task our MiniBBS script is QUITE capable.  It can do a lot
more, as well, and as mentioned, it is, of course, customisable.