[comp.sys.mac] MAC II NFS

goodloe@b11.ingr.com (Tony Goodloe) (07/15/89)

I was talking to a product manager for a company that manufactures (or
will shortly) Ethernet cards for Mac IIs. I asked about NFS. She
mentioned gatorbox, etc. I said those solutions are hoaky and just want
to hang a Mac on the net and get to an NFS server. Simple. She said I
"had identified a new market niche for them." Geesh. What an original
idea :) Anyway, I told her that I would find out what the reception of
such a product would be. So here it is. Please send some mail to
uunet!ingr!b11!goodloe expressing your interest: I would like to see Mac
NFS or I don't care. I'll (of course) will post the results in a couple
of weeks. Thanks.

tony goodloe

kdb@intercon.uu.net (Kurt Baumann) (07/16/89)

In article <5476@b11.ingr.com>, goodloe@b11.ingr.com (Tony Goodloe) writes:
> I was talking to a product manager for a company that manufactures (or
> will shortly) Ethernet cards for Mac IIs. I asked about NFS. She
> mentioned gatorbox, etc. I said those solutions are hoaky and just want
> to hang a Mac on the net and get to an NFS server. Simple. She said I
> "had identified a new market niche for them." Geesh. What an original
> idea :) Anyway, I told her that I would find out what the reception of
> such a product would be. So here it is. Please send some mail to
> uunet!ingr!b11!goodloe expressing your interest: I would like to see Mac
> NFS or I don't care. I'll (of course) will post the results in a couple
> of weeks. Thanks.
>
> tony goodloe

Apple is likely to annouce such a product this fall.  Possibly at InterOp
in October.  They were expected to announce the product in June, but apparently
pulled it at the last minute.

I find it humorous that a hardware manufacturer who is just getting into
the market would not have done a better job doing simple market research.
From the letters and phone calls I have been getting there seems to be a
good market for such a beast.  But does any developer really want to jump
into water that Apple is heating?  It is a good way to get burned.  Then
again, perhaps there will be a flurry of products announced after Apples
that improve upon theirs?  Who knows.

--
Kurt Baumann

InterCon Systems Corporation
46950 Community Plaza
Suite 101-132
Sterling, VA 22170                      Phone: 703.450.7117

lars@salt.acc.com (Lars J Poulsen) (07/19/89)

In article <1276@intercon.UUCP> Kurt Baumann <kdb@intercon.uu.net> writes:
>Apple is likely to annouce such a product this fall.  Possibly at InterOp
>in October.

The way _I_ would like to see this done, would be to put the NFS client
in as a "foreign file system" the same way the AFP client is hooked in.
This would be useful on local-talk equipped Plus/SE machines connected
via Kinetics class boxes as well.

/ Lars Poulsen <lars@salt.acc.com>   (800) 222-7308  or (805) 963-9431 ext 358
  ACC Customer Service              Affiliation stated for identification only
                My employer probably would not agree if he knew what I said !!

liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk (William Roberts) (07/20/89)

It seems to me to be very unwise indeed to use NFS, where the
server relies on the client to do user authentication, with
Macintoshes (or indeed MSDOS machines) which have no concept of
"user" at all.

I don't know what the GatorBox does about this, but I don't
believe that there is any way currently to secure a Mac even to
the extent that you can secure a Sun :-)
--

William Roberts         ARPA: liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk
Queen Mary College      UUCP: liam@qmc-cs.UUCP    AppleLink: UK0087