[comp.sys.mac] SilverLining 5.11 and Radius Accelerator for Mac Plus

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (07/18/89)

	Yesterday, I received my upgrade to SilverLining version 5.11. I
proceeded to back up my hard disk, and install the software - this is on
a Mac II. Everything worked well - SilverLining 5.11 is a very nice piece
of work.

	That evening, I took the hard drive home to the Mac Plus, using
a Radius Accelerator 16. The drive's data transfer loops were set to use
SilverLining's fast handshake. The system hung during the boot process, and
when I booted from the SilverLining disk, I got the message from the
Finder: "This disk is damanged: Eject or Initialize?".

	So I hit "Cancel" and fired up SilverLining. SilverLining was unable
to read the volume at all, though the self-tests did work.

	When I connected the drive to a stock Mac Plus, I was able to
load the drive and install transfer loops, but the partition tables
were completely smashed, to the point that scavenging the disk returned
only garbage.

	LaCie was unaware of any problems with the Plus Accelerator,
and they are looking into it. Radius had received one call before me,
but hadn't had a chance to check it out yet.

	I suggest that until LaCie gets their act together, that anyone
with a hard drive and a Mac Plus accelerator stick with an older version
of SilverLining, which should work just fine (it did for me).

		--Rich

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"When it comes to my health, I think of my body as a temple - or at least
a moderately well-managed Presbyterian youth center." - Emo Phillips

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mfi@serc.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (07/19/89)

In article <2234@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) writes:

>	Yesterday, I received my upgrade to SilverLining version 5.11. I
>proceeded to back up my hard disk, and install the software - this is on
>a Mac II. Everything worked well - SilverLining 5.11 is a very nice piece
>of work.

Can you please tell me what new features 5.1 has over the old version
that I have?

Mark Interrante   		  Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		  CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"X is just raster-op on wheels" - Bill Joy, January 1987

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (07/20/89)

In article <20604@bikini.cis.ufl.EDU> mfi@serc.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) writes:
>In article <2234@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) writes:
>
>Can you please tell me what new features 5.1 has over the old version
>that I have?

	Version 5.x contains a BUNCH of new stuff. Volume optimization
a la DiskExpress, support for A/UX and ProDOS partitions in the same hard
disk, support for making multiple physical drives into one logical drive,
auto-timing of transfer loops to suggest the fastest ones on your machine,
comes with backup software (DS Backup), built-in support for SUM (can
create a SUM parameter file on demand for a partition), allows selection
of different drivers for hard disks, slightly improved user interface.

	The only catches are: A/UX partitions don't work (according to
Chuq) and it doesn't seem to like the Radius Accelerator on the Mac Plus
(my experience). But I've been using it on my Mac II with no problems,
and I like it.

	I speak as a satisfied customer of both Radius and LaCie (my
two alltime favorite hardware companies).

		--Rich