[comp.sys.mac] Apple Prices

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (06/21/89)

Apple Computer University Price List (Individuals)
------------------------------------

Mac Plus			 945

Mac SE				1614
Mac SE w/Apple Keyboard		1704
Mac SE w/HD 20			1946
Mac SE w/HD 20 w/Apple Keyboard	2036
Mac SE HD 40/2 			2709

Mac SE/30			2709
Mac SE/30 40/1			3019
Mac SE/30 80/4			4073

Mac II				3019
Mac II 40/1			3825
Mac II 40/4			4569

Mac IIcx			2995
Mac IIcx 40/1			3329
Mac IIcx 80/4			4383

Mac IIx /4			4321
Mac IIx 80/4			4879
Mac IIx 160/4			5313

Apple Keyboard			  90
Extended Keyboard		 160

Apple Monochrome Monitor	 279
AppleColor Monitor		 699
Apple Portrait Monitor		 769
Apple Two-Page Monitor		1504

1-bit Video card		 139
4-bit Video Card		 349
Expansion Kit			 104
Two-Page video Card		 419
Portrait Video Card		 419

Imagewriter II w/Cable		 437
Imagewriter LQ w/Cable		1000
Laserwriter IISC		1791
Laserwriter IINT		3199
LaserWriter IINTX		4479

Apple Scanner			1259

$35 shipping/handling on all orders; $300 minimum.

I decided to post these when I was collecting the prices for a friend.
Here are some observations.  First, the bare Mac II CPU has gone up
$600 since I bought mine [during a promotion] in 1987.

Second, it looks like Apple has jacked up the prices of its bare
system units to make its hard-disk units seem more attractive.  Apple
has long been known for overcharging for hard disks.  It looks like
Apple has found a new way to overcharge for hard disks: raise the
price for the empty CPU box, making the system unit with the hard disk
seem more attractive.  Actually, Apple is just squeezing the 3rd-party
disk drive makers by exploiting its closed architecture.

Our University Price List is not copyrighted.  Apple has a tendency to
sick its lawyers on people for disclosing "confidential" prices in the
university discount program, or at least threaten the universities
involved.  It seems to me that this policy is restraint of trade / an
unfair trade practice, and it should be possible to counter-sue Apple
on these grounds.  But who has the time and energy to fight Apple in
court?

So, what are the discount prices at your university?

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (06/21/89)

In article <126900038@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs writes:

>Apple Computer University Price List (Individuals)
>------------------------------------
>
>Mac Plus			 945
>So, what are the discount prices at your university?

I'm not sure about the dollar/pound exchange rate at the moment, but
in the UK, it's around $1600. I've given up wondering if there's any
logic behind this. Needless to say, Pluses are often the only choice,
the higher machines are fairly rare.

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick

brian@apollo.COM (Brian Holt) (06/22/89)

In article <126900038@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

Apple Computer University Price List (Individuals)
------------------------------------
				UIUC 	  NU
Mac Plus			 945	 965

Mac SE				1614	1647
Mac SE w/Apple Keyboard		1704
Mac SE w/HD 20			1946	1987
Mac SE w/HD 20 w/Apple Keyboard	2036
Mac SE HD 40/2 			2709	2781

Mac SE/30			2709	2781
Mac SE/30 40/1			3019	3099
Mac SE/30 80/4			4073	4181

Mac II				3019	3099
Mac II 40/1			3825	3926
Mac II 40/4			4569	4690

Mac IIcx			2995	2972
Mac IIcx 40/1			3329	3417
Mac IIcx 80/4			4383	4499

Mac IIx /4			4321
Mac IIx 80/4			4879	5009
Mac IIx 160/4			5313	5454

Apple Keyboard			  90	  87
Extended Keyboard		 160	 156

Apple Monochrome Monitor	 279	 272
AppleColor Monitor		 699	 681
Apple Portrait Monitor		 769	 749
Apple Two-Page Monitor		1504

1-bit Video card		 139	 135
4-bit Video Card		 349	 340
Expansion Kit			 104     101
Two-Page video Card		 419     408
Portrait Video Card		 419	 408

Imagewriter II w/Cable		 437	 469
Imagewriter LQ w/Cable		1000	1056
Laserwriter IISC		1791	1624
Laserwriter IINT		3199	3294
LaserWriter IINTX		4479	4612

Apple Scanner			1259	1350

Looks like you folks have a better discount than Northeastern does.
(Our price list is not copyrighted either).  Either that, or
Barnes & Noble is tacking on some profit.

		=brian
--
UUCP:     {decvax,mit-eddie,umix}!apollo!brian
Internet: brian@apollo.COM   [ I wonder when this will become apollo.hp.com...]

leungt@prism.cs.orst.edu (Theodore Chi Ho Leung) (06/23/89)

Since we're on the subject of Apple's pricing( :-( !! ) how much is the upgrade
from a Mac II to Mac IIx? I am interested in full functionality,i.e. motherboard
and the newfangled floppy.

Thank you.

dudevoir@bernoulli.Stanford.EDU (Glen P. Dudevoir) (06/23/89)

In article <43fc2743.18e92@apollo.COM> brian@apollo.COM (Brian Holt) writes:
In article <126900038@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

Apple Computer University Price List (Individuals)
------------------------------------
				UIUC 	  NU	Stanford
Mac Plus			 945	 965	 892

Mac SE				1614	1647	1522
Mac SE w/Apple Keyboard		1704		1603
Mac SE w/HD 20			1946	1987	1837
Mac SE w/HD 20 w/Apple Keyboard	2036		1918
Mac SE HD 40/2			2709	2781	2570

Mac SE/30			2709	2781	2570
Mac SE/30 40/1			3019	3099	2864
Mac SE/30 80/4			4073	4181	3863

Mac II				3019	3099	3008
Mac II 40/1			3825	3926	3772
Mac II 40/4			4569	4690	4478

Mac IIcx			2995	2972	2890
Mac IIcx 40/1			3329	3417	3302
Mac IIcx 80/4			4383	4499	4301

Mac IIx						3243
Mac IIx 40/1					3654
Mac IIx /4			4321
Mac IIx 80/4			4879	5009	4654
Mac IIx 160/4			5313	5454	5183

Apple Keyboard			  90	  87	  81
Extended Keyboard		 160	 156	 144

Apple Monochrome Monitor	 279	 272	 251
AppleColor Monitor		 699	 681	 629
Apple Portrait Monitor		 769	 749	 692
Apple Two-Page Monitor		1504		1354

1-bit Video card		 139	 135	 125
4-bit Video Card		 349	 340	 314
Expansion Kit			 104     101	  94
Two-Page video Card		 419     408	 377
Portrait Video Card		 419	 408	 377

Imagewriter II w/Cable		 437	 469	 434
Imagewriter LQ w/Cable		1000	1056	 976
Laserwriter IISC		1791	1624	1705
Laserwriter IINT		3199	3294	3044*
LaserWriter IINTX		4479	4612	4262*

Apple Scanner			1259	1350

* Not available to Students at Stanford.
+ add 7% sales tax for California
There is no copyright on the Stanford price list.
A more complete list is available to the general public at the
Stanford Bookstore.

Glen

cleeland@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Chris Cleeland) (06/23/89)

In article <22@bernoulli.stanford.edu dudevoir@bernoulli.stanford.edu (Glen P. Dudevoir) writes:
In article <43fc2743.18e92@apollo.COM brian@apollo.COM (Brian Holt) writes:
In article <126900038@p.cs.uiuc.edu gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

Apple Computer University Price List (Individuals)
------------------------------------
			       UIUC      NU    Stanford
Mac Plus                        945     965     892

Mac SE                         1614    1647    1522
Mac SE w/Apple Keyboard        1704            1603
Mac SE w/HD 20                 1946    1987    1837
Mac SE w/HD 20 w/Apple Kbd     2036            1918
[...]

Now the question we've all been thinking but afraid to ask:

A question posed to anyone out there who might know:  Why do prices differ
so radically (and seemingly arbitrarily) from university to unversity?
Aren't all university prices identical (at least what Apple charges the
university)?  Are some universities making money off this little venture?

Just to put in my $.02 worth, your average-joe, plain-vanilla, no-bells-or-
whistles, what-you-see-is-what-you-get (WYSIWYG for those of you out there
who are into acronyms) Macintosh Plus goes for $1050 here at Tulane
University.  Add on top of that the gracious 9.5% sales tax for New Orleans
(can you say "screw the tourist"? ;- ), and you've got one hell of a lot of
bucks -- definitely more than people at other universities.  And, if trends
follow, EVERYTHING is more expensive here than at the universities posted
above (NOTE: I don't have a price list in front of me -- I'm merely
speculating).

Any takers on this one?  I'm really curious now...
--
Thanks
Chris Cleeland, Tulane University

Disclaimer:  I haven't said anything worth not claiming!!!

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (06/23/89)

In article <850@rex.cs.tulane.edu>, cleeland@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Chris Cleeland) writes:

> Apple Computer University Price List (Individuals)
> ------------------------------------
> 			       UIUC      NU    Stanford
>
> Mac IIcx                       2995    2972    2890
> Mac IIcx 40/1                  3329    3417    3302
> Mac IIcx 80/4                  4383    4499    4301
> 1-bit Video card                139     135     125
> 4-bit Video Card                349     340     314
> Expansion Kit                   104     101      94
> Two-Page video Card             419     408     377
> Portrait Video Card             419     408     377

> Now the question we've all been thinking but afraid to ask:
>
> A question posed to anyone out there who might know:  Why do prices differ
> so radically (and seemingly arbitrarily) from university to unversity?
> Aren't all university prices identical (at least what Apple charges the
> university)?  Are some universities making money off this little venture?

Why do prices differ?  Most people assume that Apple has one university
purchase plan.  HEPP I (Higher Education Purchase Plan I) is direct from
Apple.  From the prices above, I believe that NU is on this program.  (It
also appears that Stanford is, too, but more on that below).  HEPP II is
the second type of contract that Apple makes available to universities.
This one uses a local dealer as a "go-between", and of course this dealer
gets a certain percentage of all sales.  UIUC is on this program, judging
from the prices above (they match ours, and we are on HEPP II).  There are
supposed to be additional services provided to purchasers on HEPP II that
you wouldn't get on HEPP I, like dealer setup and training.  However, the
specifics of the arrangement are hammered out by the dealer and the
university.

Now for the second question: Do universities take a cut for themselves?
The answer: It depends.  Universities are free to add whatever amount they
see fit to the price of units that they sell, presumably so that they can
cover their sales costs (floor space, shipping, salespeople, paperwork,
advertising, etc.).  It appears that Stanford is doing just that.

While I prefer prices as low as I can get them, I do believe that all of
the prices above are justified.

> Any takers on this one?  I'm really curious now...

I hope this answers your questions.

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (06/23/89)

In article <850@rex.cs.tulane.edu> cleeland@rex.UUCP (Chris Cleeland) writes:
#>
#>In article <22@bernoulli.stanford.edu dudevoir@bernoulli.stanford.edu (Glen P. Dudevoir) writes:
#>In article <43fc2743.18e92@apollo.COM brian@apollo.COM (Brian Holt) writes:
#>In article <126900038@p.cs.uiuc.edu gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
#>
#>Apple Computer University Price List (Individuals)
#>------------------------------------
#>			       UIUC      NU    Stanford
#>Mac Plus                        945     965     892

Here at Berkeley, the plus costs $917. Maybe the
difference is shipping distance? (Unlikely, but
I couldn't resist noting that as you get further from
Cupertino, the price rises.)

Steve Goldfield

dudevoir@isl.Stanford.EDU (Glen P. Dudevoir) (06/23/89)

In article <7893@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>In article <850@rex.cs.tulane.edu>, cleeland@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Chris Cleeland) writes:
>>
>> A question posed to anyone out there who might know:  Why do prices differ
>> so radically (and seemingly arbitrarily) from university to unversity?
>> Aren't all university prices identical (at least what Apple charges the
>> university)?  Are some universities making money off this little venture?
>>

>Why do prices differ?  Most people assume that Apple has one university
>purchase plan.  HEPP I (Higher Education Purchase Plan I) is direct from
>Apple.  From the prices above, I believe that NU is on this program.  (It
>also appears that Stanford is, too, but more on that below).  HEPP II is
> ... stuff about HEPP II
>Now for the second question: Do universities take a cut for themselves?
>The answer: It depends.  Universities are free to add whatever amount they
>see fit to the price of units that they sell, presumably so that they can
>cover their sales costs (floor space, shipping, salespeople, paperwork,
>advertising, etc.).  It appears that Stanford is doing just that.
>Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
>Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
>Ball State University  AppleLink: ST0374 (from UUCP: st0374@applelink.apple.com)

Stanford's pricing policy is that they mark up the price they are
charged by Apple by 5%.  As far as I know the Stanford Bookstore,
which administers the microcomputer program, buys directly from Apple,
IBM and other manufacturers.  They will only buy from those who offer
significant discounts to the University community.  Other
manufacturers and publishers include Radius, Everex, Microsoft and
Claris (of course). My guess is that the 5% they charge is just about
right given the service they provide and their prime location that
anyone else would pay an arm and a leg to get.

Glen

kubiak@bach.csg.uiuc.edu (Ken Kubiak) (06/23/89)

It should be noted that the University of Illinois charges an additional $50
order fee ON EVERY ORDER.  Do the other universities charge such a fee?
Supposedly it supports a 12' x 12' "computer store" in the Student Union.
I'd rather they'd run the whole thing mail order and let me keep my $50.

It is also interesting to see that Tulane charges New Orleans sales tax,
while U of I charges California sales tax (their literature claims that
Apple charges the sales tax).  Perhaps the sales tax algorithm is:
	Max( Cal. sales tax, local sales tax )

Ken

Ken Kubiak
Computer Systems Group
kubiak@csg.uiuc.edu

rajiv@nirvana.ee.rochester.edu (Rajiv Arora) (06/23/89)

In article <850@rex.cs.tulane.edu> cleeland@rex.UUCP (Chris Cleeland) writes:

>Just to put in my $.02 worth, your average-joe, plain-vanilla, no-bells-or-
>whistles, what-you-see-is-what-you-get (WYSIWYG for those of you out there
>who are into acronyms) Macintosh Plus goes for $1050 here at Tulane
>University.  Add on top of that the gracious 9.5% sales tax for New Orleans
>(can you say "screw the tourist"? ;- ), and you've got one hell of a lot of
>bucks -- definitely more than people at other universities.

You think you have it bad! Our University seems to have decided to ignore
Apple's recent price reductions completely, and will be happy to sell you a
Plus for $1140, or an SE for ~$2000! As Michael Niehaus said in a related
posting, it's ultimately up to the individual universities to decide on prices,
and you just have to grin and bear it.

On yet another related note,do your university stores sell Mac's bundled with
3'rd party software? I know that the CMU computer store sells Pluses bundled
with Claris' MacDraw, MacPaint, and MacWrite II. Our's does not. What about the
rest of you?

Rajiv Arora

Addresses:
	UUCP:   ...!rochester!ur-valhalla!rajiv
	ARPA:   rajiv@ee.rochester.edu

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (06/23/89)

My college also charges 50 dollars a machine.  The reason given (and it made
sense was that after you got through with taxes, shipping, handling, etc.,
50 bucks was a nice round number.  They were nice enough to wave the charge
on smaller things like Ram kits, cables, and the like.

--Rick Ewing
  Apple Atlanta

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (06/23/89)

I have heard that the prices differ because:

(1) Apple charges different prices to different universities.  They
give a "volume discount" to universities that buy a lot.

This still doesn't explain why Stanford prices are so cheap.  The U of
Illinois moves A LOT of macintoshes.

(2) Each university makes it own profit on the machine.  They charge
for order handling, stocking the components in their warehouse, and
paperwork pushers.

Here at the U of I you must have an in-town dealer set up your machine
(plug in the video card, big whoop).  These local dealers skim a
profit from the machine, ostensibly because they will be honoring the
warranty.  They basically weasled and kicked & screamed at Apple & the
U of Illinois to get "A Piece of the Action".  They use this
arrangement to bait & switch some customers into buying dealer
components (monitors, upgrades), instead of Apple components.  I sent
a complaint letter to Apple's regional marketing office, but they
never replied, and I assume they never did anything about it, since
this Apple VAR has a history of cheating students.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

gford@nunki.usc.edu (Gregory Ford) (06/23/89)

The University of Southern California has a rather interesting
pricing policy.  There are two terms - cash, and everything else.
If you go by cash, then you get the stated price.   However, if
you opt to pay by credit card, or charge it on a university
account, you get an extra 1.75% added on.  (Isn't that the
rate cc companies charge?)

Yes, and our bookstore conducts all it's computer business in
a space not unlike that of an office cubicle.  Even here, the expression
"three's a crowd" holds very true.

(To their credit, they are supposedly going to have half a floor
to strut their stuff when the new bookstore opens, but that isn't
for awhile, and I won't believe it until I see it)

* Greg Ford								      *
* Univeristy of Southern California	Internet: gford%nunki.usc.edu@usc.edu *

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (06/23/89)

Can't be shipping distance, at CMU the bare MacPlus costs $924.

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (06/24/89)

In article <gYcaEXq00WA1E19_0G@andrew.cmu.edu> wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) writes:
#>Can't be shipping distance, at CMU the bare MacPlus costs $924.
#>
#>b.bum
#>wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

My shipping-distance suggestion was supposed to be a mild
joke.

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (06/24/89)

In article <43fc2743.18e92@apollo.COM> brian@apollo.COM (Brian Holt) writes:
In article <126900038@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

Apple Computer University Price List (Individuals)
------------------------------------
				UIUC 	  NU	Stanford    U. Florida
Mac Plus			 945	 965	 892		999

Mac SE				1614	1647	1522		1699
Mac SE w/Apple Keyboard		1704		1603		1789
Mac SE w/HD 20			1946	1987	1837		2049
Mac SE w/HD 20 w/Apple Keyboard	2036		1918		2139
Mac SE HD 40/2			2709	2781	2570		2796

Mac SE/30			2709	2781	2570		2769
Mac SE/30 40/1			3019	3099	2864		3116
Mac SE/30 80/4			4073	4181	3863		4204

Mac II				3019	3099	3008		3116
Mac II 40/1			3825	3926	3772		3948
Mac II 40/4			4569	4690	4478		4716

Mac IIcx			2995	2972	2890		2988
Mac IIcx 40/1			3329	3417	3302		3436
Mac IIcx 80/4			4383	4499	4301		4524

Mac IIx						3243		3372
Mac IIx 40/1					3654		3820
Mac IIx /4			4321				4460
Mac IIx 80/4			4879	5009	4654		4908
Mac IIx 160/4			5313	5454	5183		5484

Apple Keyboard			  90	  87	  81		90
Extended Keyboard		 160	 156	 144		160

Apple Monochrome Monitor	 279	 272	 251		279
AppleColor Monitor		 699	 681	 629		699
Apple Portrait Monitor		 769	 749	 692		769
Apple Two-Page Monitor		1504		1354		1504

1-bit Video card		 139	 135	 125		139
4-bit Video Card		 349	 340	 314		349
Expansion Kit			 104     101	  94		104
Two-Page video Card		 419     408	 377		419
Portrait Video Card		 419	 408	 377		419

Imagewriter II w/Cable		 437	 469	 434		437
Imagewriter LQ w/Cable		1000	1056	 976		1000
Laserwriter IISC		1791	1624	1705		1959
Laserwriter IINT		3199	3294	3044*		3499
LaserWriter IINTX		4479	4612	4262*		4899

Apple Scanner			1259	1350			1259

* Not available to Students at Stanford.
+ add 7% sales tax for California
There is no copyright on the Stanford price list.
A more complete list is available to the general public at the
Stanford Bookstore.

Mark Interrante   		  Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		  CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"X is just raster-op on wheels" - Bill Joy, January 1987

mpm@berlin.acss.umn.edu (Mark P. McCahill) (06/24/89)

In article <25698@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:

> Here at Berkeley, the plus costs $917. Maybe the
> difference is shipping distance? (Unlikely, but
> I couldn't resist noting that as you get further from
> Cupertino, the price rises.)

Prices are always going to vary a lot from one school to another
because:

1.) Some schools pay local dealers a fee on each item sold
 (The theory being that local delears get support questions
  so they ought to be reimbursed. This kickback to the local
  dealer also keeps the delaers from complaining a lot about
  campus resellers.)

2.) Some schools fund their microcomputer support organizations
   by adding a chagre to each system sold while other schools
   pay for microcomputer support staffs from central funding
   If the microcomputer support function gets money from the
   central administration, you will see lower prices than if the
   microcomputer support folks have to live off a percentage of
   each sale.

3.) Campus bookstores typically get chaged a percentage of each sale
  by the business office of the school to cover lighting, floor space,
  processing paperwork, etc. This percentage varies from school to
  school.

4.) Salaries for the people that unload the boxes from the trucks,
  write up your order, and take your money vary. How many people
  are involved in handling your order varies too.

In other words, the markups have to be different because each school
has different overhead (even if they don't want to make a profit,
you have to cover your expenses).

Mark McCahill

mpm@berlin.acss.umn.edu
mpm@UMNACVX

pgn@osupyr.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul G. Nevai) (06/24/89)

OK guys, enough is enough. Ohio State beats them all. Just an example
to make your appetite grow:

Apple Keyboard                    90      87      81            90

was a typical item listed on the Net. Well, OSU pays  77 for it.
By the way, we are a mega-institution and probably we are one
of the top customers of Apple. By the way, OSU computerstore charges
more, 77 is the direct order price, and delivery is around a month
or more. depending how long it takes to get a large order ( > 100K)
together.

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (06/28/89)

In article <320@berlin.acss.umn.edu> mpm@berlin.acss.umn.edu (Mark P. McCahill) writes:

>Prices are always going to vary a lot from one school to another
>because:
>
>1.) Some schools pay local dealers a fee on each item sold
> (The theory being that local delears get support questions
>  so they ought to be reimbursed. This kickback to the local
>  dealer also keeps the delaers from complaining a lot about
>  campus resellers.)
>
>2.) Some schools fund their microcomputer support organizations
>   by adding a chagre to each system sold while other schools
>   pay for microcomputer support staffs from central funding
>   If the microcomputer support function gets money from the
>   central administration, you will see lower prices than if the
>   microcomputer support folks have to live off a percentage of
>   each sale.

	Quite correct.

	What's happening is that Apple requires that  e v e r y o n e  who
buys an Apple machine gets support.  This is often provided by a dealer as
in (1) or the university provides it as in (2).  Part of this requirment is
that an such a support person receives Apple training.

	Here at UB the administration figured out that it's less expensive
to have a regular support person (University Computing Services as they're
called here) receive this Apple training than to contract with a local
dealer for it.

	So you see, there  i s  a method to this madness.  :-)

Flip side,

	joe piazza

--- "Where's my other sock?"  A. Einstein

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260

UUCP: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza		GEnie: jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET		Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu

>Mark McCahill  mpm@berlin.acss.umn.edu  mpm@UMNACVX

russky@reed.UUCP (Gregory M Byshenk) (07/20/89)

For those who may still be interested in comparisons of Apple
Prices at various colleges/universities, here's some new ones:

Apple Computer University Price List (Individuals)
------------------------------------
			UIUC 	  NU	Stanf.	U. Fl	Reed
Mac Plus		 945	 965	 892	 999	1000

Mac SE			1614	1647	1522	1699	1700
Mac SE w/Apple Keybd.	1704		1603	1789	1785
Mac SE w/HD 20		1946	1987	1837	2049	2035
Mac SE w/HD20 w/Keyb	2036		1918	2139	2120
Mac SE HD 40/2		2709	2781	2570	2796	2810

Mac SE/30		2709	2781	2570	2769	2810
Mac SE/30 40/1		3019	3099	2864	3116	3120
Mac SE/30 80/4		4073	4181	3863	4204	4180

Mac II			3019	3099	3008	3116	3120
Mac II 40/1		3825	3926	3772	3948	3930
Mac II 40/4		4569	4690	4478	4716	4675

Mac IIcx		2995	2972	2890	2988	2995
Mac IIcx 40/1		3329	3417	3302	3436	3430
Mac IIcx 80/4		4383	4499	4301	4524	4490

Mac IIx					3243	3372	3370
Mac IIx 40/1				3654	3820	3805
Mac IIx /4		4321			4460	4425
Mac IIx 80/4		4879	5009	4654	4908	4985
Mac IIx 160/4		5313	5454	5183	5484	5425

Apple Keyboard		  90	  87	  81	  90	  85
Extended Keyboard	 160	 156	 144	 160	 155

Apple Monochrome Mon.	 279	 272	 251	 279	 265
AppleColor Monitor	 699	 681	 629	 699	 660
Apple Portrait Monitor	 769	 749	 692	 769	 735
Apple Two-Page Monitor	1504		1354	1504	1435

1-bit Video card	 139	 135	 125	 139	 135
4-bit Video Card	 349	 340	 314	 349	 330
Expansion Kit		 104     101	  94	 104	 100
Two-Page video Card	 419     408	 377	 419	 399
Portrait Video Card	 419	 408	 377	 419	 399

Imagewriter II w/Cable	 437	 469	 434	 437	 455
Imagewriter LQ w/Cable	1000	1056	 976	1000	1035
Laserwriter IISC	1791	1624	1705	1959	1805
Laserwriter IINT	3199	3294	3044*	3499
LaserWriter IINTX	4479	4612	4262*	4899

Apple Scanner		1259	1350		1259

* Not available to Students at Stanford.

Reed College MacIntosh Computers are sold through the Reed College
Bookstore; "educational pricing is available only to full-time
registered students, current faculty, and staff of Reed College."

A Copy of Microsoft Word, MacPaint, and Hypercard is bundled with
every CPU sold.

--
gregory byshenk			"The king?  But I didn't vote for you!"
!tektronix!reed!russky

Yap, yappity, opinions, yap, my own, yap, not of my school, yappity, yap.