[comp.sys.mac] Info Needed on 32bit Color for MacII

paluzzi@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Peter Paluzzi- ZeroOne) (07/19/89)

Could someone tell me what is the latest in 32bit color support on the
Mac III?  What I need to know is:

	1.  When will the Mac O/S support 32bit color displays if not
	     already.

	2.  Who are the vendors of 32bit boards for 640x480 format
	    displays?

3.	3.  Who are the vendors of 32bit boards for 1024x768 format
	     displays.

	4.  Any particular recommendations for color monitors to go
	    with these boards.

In connection with question 4, does anyone know if the Zenith flat
screen 13" display will work with any of the display boards?

Thanks in advance

Pete Paluzzi
paluzzi@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (07/20/89)

Peter,

"...will the Mac O/S support 32bit color..."

Yes...you'll need a Mac II/IIcx/IIx, System 6.0.3, and the 32-Bit QuickDraw
INIT.

"...vendors of 32bit boards...640x480 format..."

SuperMac Technology's Spectrum/24
RasterOps' ColorBoard 224 and ColorBoard 232
Truevision's NuVista 2M and NuVista 4M

"...vendors of 32bit board...1024x768 format..."

SuperMac Technology's Spectrum/24
RasterOps' ColorBoard 232
Truevision's NuVista 2M and NuVista 4M in INTERLACE mode

"...recommendations for color monitors..."

The most common would be Apple's 13" color monitor or you can use the 19"
Trinitron (GDM 1952) as sold by SuperMac or RasterOps.

I should also note that Radius sells the DirectColor/24 that drives their
19" Trinitron with a resolution of 1152x882.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (07/21/89)

In article <28799@ames.arc.nasa.gov> paluzzi@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Peter Paluzzi- ZeroOne) writes:
>	4.  Any particular recommendations for color monitors to go
>	    with these boards.
>
>In connection with question 4, does anyone know if the Zenith flat
>screen 13" display will work with any of the display boards?

I'm a Mac using employee of Zenith so I've looked into this.  As of
a couple months ago the only board which would work with the Zenith
FTM: RasterOps 108Z.  It works only in 1 and 8-bit modes.  It was
also very expensive.

Zenith themselves have no plans to market a board for the Mac II.
Official Policy (tm) is that They will make no non-Zenith compatible
boards.  I, of course, think they're nuts!

Please note I have no experience with this setup, so I can't say how
well it works.

Also, the screen is 14" not 13"! (I know, picky, picky :-)
--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)