[comp.sys.mac] Fragmented memory message with 5 MByte Mac II

florianb@tekred.CNA.TEK.COM (Florian Bell) (07/20/89)

Using 5 MBytes memory, I often get the message "CANNOT OPEN APPLICATION
DUE TO FRAGMENTED MEMORY," or some such baloney.  I use Versaterm,
WriteNow, EXCEL, PowerPoint, and SuperPaint.  Usually the message
arrives when trying to start EXCEL or PowerPoint after starting
WriteNow, or when trying to start WriteNow after starting EXCEL.

Someone suggested starting the Microsoft applications first, but that
doesn't solve the problem.  Is there something I'm missing?  Please
provide any information which might be helpful, but observe that I'm
not a computer expert--just the facts, man.

--stumped in Oregon.

eynon@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Barry Eynon) (07/21/89)

In article <4298@tekred.CNA.TEK.COM> florianb@tekred.CNA.TEK.COM (Florian Bell) writes:
>Using 5 MBytes memory, I often get the message "CANNOT OPEN APPLICATION
>DUE TO FRAGMENTED MEMORY," or some such baloney.  I use Versaterm,
>WriteNow, EXCEL, PowerPoint, and SuperPaint.  Usually the message
>arrives when trying to start EXCEL or PowerPoint after starting
>WriteNow, or when trying to start WriteNow after starting EXCEL.

Proceeed directly to the latest upgrade to Excel, version 2.2, which
completely redoes the way Excel uses Mac memory so that it is now like
other Mac programs and can live anywhere in your 5 meg, rather than
being restricted to the first 1 meg of memory. This may not solve your
problem, but it will help. The only other way to try to get your
memory defragmented short of restarting is to quit all applocations
and DAs and then try to open the program. If that doesn't work, I
think you pretty much have to reboot to cure the fragmentation.

-Barry Eynon
eynon@lindy.stanford.edu