[comp.sys.mac] Logical Disk Partitions

kahn@wucs1.wustl.edu (Michael Kahn) (07/21/89)

I am looking for software that will partition a large hard disk drive
into multiple smaller logical disks.  I know that many products of
this type exist but most require you to pre-specify the partition size
at the onset, and any attempt to resize the partitions require you to
clear off the diskette, resize the partitions, and reload the disk.

Does anybody know of a disk partitioning program that allows me to
resize partitions without having to unload and reload the current
partitions.  A rumor that Absoft has such a program but I cannot
confirm it.

Thanks,
Michael Kahn
(kahn@wucs1.wustl.edu)

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (07/21/89)

In article <927@wucs1.wustl.edu> kahn@wucs1.wustl.edu (Michael Kahn) writes:
>I am looking for software that will partition a large hard disk drive
>into multiple smaller logical disks.  I know that many products of
>this type exist but most require you to pre-specify the partition size
>at the onset, and any attempt to resize the partitions require you to
>clear off the diskette, resize the partitions, and reload the disk.
>
>Does anybody know of a disk partitioning program that allows me to
>resize partitions without having to unload and reload the current
>partitions.  A rumor that Absoft has such a program but I cannot
>confirm it.

	SilverLining, from LaCie, is such a disk utility; you can dynamically
create and resize partitions (or destroy them) without having to reformat
your hard disk. It works quite well.

		--Rich

 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"When it comes to my health, I think of my body as a temple - or at least
a moderately well-managed Presbyterian youth center." - Emo Phillips