[comp.sys.mac] Games for SE30

gavin@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Gavin C. H. Zau) (07/17/89)

	I have purchased a SE30 and am interested in purchasing
some games for it.  However, I am concern that some games might
not be compatible to the SE30.  Does anyone know which games
work?  Also can anyone recommend some good games?  If there
is interest, I'll summarize the response as a games survey.
Thanks.

--
Gavin Zau	Dept of Chemical Engineering, MIT
		gavin@caf.mit.edu	mefl@eagle.mit.edu

heberlei@iris.ucdavis.edu (Todd) (07/18/89)

I TRIED TO MAIL THIS, BUT IT BOUNCED.  I APOLOGIZE FOR TAKING
BANDWIDTH FROM THE NETWORK.

In article <2863@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> you write:

>	I have purchased a SE30 and am interested in purchasing
>some games for it.  However, I am concern that some games might
>not be compatible to the SE30.  Does anyone know which games
>work?  Also can anyone recommend some good games?  If there
>is interest, I'll summarize the response as a games survey.
>Thanks.
>

>--
>Gavin Zau	Dept of Chemical Engineering, MIT
>		gavin@caf.mit.edu	mefl@eagle.mit.edu

I recently bought an SE/30 myself.  I have _The_Colony_ and
_Chuck_Yeager's_Advanced_Flight_Trainer_ (AFT); both work fine on the
SE/30.  _The_Colony_ is a very popular game and fairly addicting.  The
surprise is ATF.

I love planes and flying, so I bought ATF to use in a Mac SE lab long
before I got my SE/30; I was happy that it worked on the SE/30.  I
found ATF exciting at first, then kinda of boring (read about
complaints), and now real exciting again.  Taking off and flying is
exciting the first couple of times, but that soon gets boring (there
is no enemy to fight nor weather conditions to set).  However, you
soon learn how to really control the plane (planes from a Camel
bi-plane to an SR-71), and then things get really enjoyable.  You can
also record your flight and follow you self the next time.

ATF is also good for a short break from whatever you are doing.  You
can fire it up, take off in an F-18, go straight out at Mach 1+, do
half a loop, roll over, and bring her back for a landing.  Or you can
take a bi-plane through the S-gates.  Its great for a 5 minute break
(you can't play most games for that short of a time) (You can also
play it for longer).

Complaints:
* There is no enemy, and you can't play head to head against someone.
I would think this would be easy to add (they do call themselves a
"Trainer" though)

* Need to change the playback options.  You can only playback a flight
when you take up another plane.  I would like to watch the old flight
from the chase plane, tower, or cockpit.

* You should be able to move the chase plane to another position (like
is Microsoft/Sublogic's flight simulator.

Other games:  (This is what others have told me)

* Falcon does not yet work with the SE/30.  They are currently working
on it, this one may prove interesting when completed (you can fly
against an enemy or head to head against someone else).  It is kind of
slow on a Mac plus, but it should really move on an SE/30 (better
processor, faster processor, math coprocessor (if they use it), sound
chip).

* Ancient Art of War (and War at Sea) do not work with the SE/30.  I
would like to try these; I hope they fix the problems.

* Dark Castle does not work.

* Beyond Dark Castle DOES work (so I am told).

Todd Heberlein
heberlei@iris.ucdavis.edu	128.120.57.20

jsp@key.COM (James Preston) (07/22/89)

In article <2863@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> gavin@mit-caf.UUCP (Gavin C. H. Zau) writes:

>	I have purchased a SE30 and am interested in purchasing
>some games for it.  However, I am concern that some games might
>not be compatible to the SE30.  Does anyone know which games
>work?  Also can anyone recommend some good games?  If there
>is interest, I'll summarize the response as a games survey.
>Thanks.

Games that work just fine on my SE/30:

Solitaire Royale    Recommended
PT 109              Highly recommended
The Colony          Interesting graphics, but the game is damned annoying
Mean 18             Highly recommended
Phraze Craze (AKA Wheel of Fortune; shareware)
1000 Miles (AKA Mille Bornes; shareware)
Crystal Quest       Some people love it, I find the only-shoot-in-the-direction-
                    you-move to be annoying, and the difficulty increase to be
                    too steep.
Beyond Dark Castle  However you feel about Dark Castle, you'll feel the
                    same about this.
Fool's Errand       Great of you like puzzles, a waste otherwise.
Racquetball         Most interesting in two player mode (requires two networked
                    Macs)
SLOTS               (The old public domain one with keno where you have
                    to reset the Mac to exit)
missile command     (public domain)

Games that do not work:

Falcon 2.0 (As has been noted, Spectrum Holobyte knows, and has been working
            on a fix for over three months).
Arkanoid (Again, Discovery Software knows and plans a patched version
          "sometime soon".)
Dark Castle
Gato
Cairo Shootout    (public domain)

Games that mostly work:
Orbiter  Everything is fine, except it won't talk!  I thought the problem
         was with my version of MacinTalk, but I have a demo hyperstack
         that talks just fine.

--James Preston