[comp.sys.mac] LaserWriter II NT stats

dennis@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Dennis Dale) (06/13/89)

At work, we use a number of LaserWriter II NTs for our day to day
printing.  On a weekly basis we'd like to gather some statistics
from the printer.  Right now the only thing we can get is the page
count total and the only way to get that information is to power
cycle the printer (they are on and available for use 24 hours a day).
There must be a better way to do this.  I've gone over the manual
that came with the printers but it doesn't describe any way to get
this info via some character sequence sent to the printer.  If
someone out there can help (Apple are you listening?) please send
me some e-mail.  If other stats are being kept inside the printer,
we'd like to know how to get that information too.

Dennis Dale	AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL
att!ihlpf!dennis
--
Dennis Dale
AT&T Bell Laboratories - Naperville, IL

David.Bolduc@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Bolduc) (06/17/89)

I think Widgets (CE Software) will get you the page count, and the
Appleshare spooler will give you some detail (users, their individual
counts).

--
David Bolduc via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54!David.Bolduc

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (07/23/89)

In article <8758@ihlpf.ATT.COM> dennis@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Dennis Dale) writes:
>At work, we use a number of LaserWriter II NTs for our day to day
>printing.  On a weekly basis we'd like to gather some statistics
>from the printer.  Right now the only thing we can get is the page

Here's a Postscript file that you can send to the laser printer to get
stats including available fonts, virtual memory, and more.  I don't
know where it came from, but there are no restrictions and the author
says anyone can modify it.  So, it looks like public domain.

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.
_________________________________
%!
%% Laser Doctor, Version 1.0.0
%% Written by Jim Sullivan, January, 1989.
%% This was written out of a need to display as much information
%% about various Postscript Laserprinters onto one page.  More
%% can be added and anyone is free to modify it for their own
%% needs.

gsave

%% Beginning of definitions ********************************

/HB  {/Helvetica-Bold} def
/CBO {/Courier-BoldOblique} def
/C   {/Courier} def
/FF  {findfont} def
/SS  {scalefont setfont} def
/mt  {moveto} def
/s   {show} def
/fontname 30 string def
/getfont {pop fntnm cvs /fontname exch def} def
/fntnm 30 string def
/str 20 string def
/BOLD {CBO FF 10 SS} def
/NORMAL {C FF 10 SS} def
/cnt 0 def
/btime 0 def
/circleofbench
        { 15 15 345
            {gsave
               rotate 0 0 mt
               (Benchmark) oshow
             grestore
            } for
        } def
/oshow {true charpath stroke} def

%% End of definitions *****************************************

BOLD
200 756 mt
(Analysis by Doctor Laser, Version 1.0.0) s      %Print title
20 720 mt
NORMAL (This printer is a ) s
BOLD statusdict/product get str cvs s          %Gets the name of the
NORMAL ( running version ) s                   %printer from
BOLD version str cvs s                         %statusdict/product
NORMAL ( of Postscript.) s                     %and the version number
20 700 translate                               %of Postscript from the
                                               %'version' command
0 0 mt
(Available Fonts : (PaintType)FontName:Example of font) s   %Heading
0 -10 mt
(PaintType = 0\(filled\), 1\(stroked\), 2\(outlined\),) s
0 -20 mt
(            3\(mixed\), ?\(unknown\)) s
0 -30 translate

BOLD
FontDirectory {BOLD 0 0 mt                      %Push directory of fonts and
getfont                                         %get the fonts one at a time.
(\() s
{fontname cvn FF /PaintType get str cvs s} stopped {%ifelse
(?) s } {} ifelse              %Get the font's PaintType and print its value,
(\)) s                         %or if it is not supplied, print a '?'.

fontname s                     %Print the name of the font.

mark
fontname length 1 30 {(-) s} for   %Print dashes out to the font sample column.
(:) s                              %Print a colon.

{fontname cvn FF 10 SS ( ABCDEFGH abcdefgh) s } stopped {%ifelse
NORMAL (Error implementing font) s } {} ifelse      %Show a sample of each
cleartomark                                         %font.  If an error is
cnt 10 add                                          %trapped, print message
/cnt exch def                                       %indicating an error
0 -10 translate} forall                             %occurred.  Use the
NORMAL                                              %variable 'cnt' to count
cnt 30 add /cnt exch def                            %the number of fonts.

350 cnt mt                       %Move back up the page 'cnt' points.
(Virtual Memory Status:) s       %Print the Virtual Memory Status
0 0 translate                    %using 'vmstatus'.
370 cnt 20 sub mt
(Maximum Available Bytes = ) s BOLD vmstatus str cvs s NORMAL
370 cnt 30 sub mt
(Bytes currently in use  = ) s BOLD str cvs s NORMAL
370 cnt 40 sub mt
(Level of Save Nesting   = ) s BOLD str cvs s NORMAL
350 cnt 60 sub mt

(Cache status \(Red book p126\):) s  %Print out the cache status.
cachestatus
370 cnt 80 sub mt NORMAL (blimit = ) s BOLD str cvs s
370 cnt 90 sub mt NORMAL (  cmax = ) s BOLD str cvs s
370 cnt 100 sub mt NORMAL ( csize = ) s BOLD str cvs s
370 cnt 110 sub mt NORMAL (  mmax = ) s BOLD str cvs s
370 cnt 120 sub mt NORMAL ( msize = ) s BOLD str cvs s
370 cnt 130 sub mt NORMAL (  bmax = ) s BOLD str cvs s
370 cnt 140 sub mt NORMAL ( bsize = ) s BOLD str cvs s

usertime /btime exch def                %Print a graphic (circleofbench)
HB FF 12 SS                             %and time how long it takes for
430 cnt 230 sub translate               %the printer to interpret it.
.5 setlinewidth
circleofbench
0 0 moveto
(Benchmark Testing) true charpath
gsave 1 setgray fill grestore
stroke
-40 -80 mt
NORMAL
(Time to print) s
-40 -90 mt
(the above graphic) s
-40 -100 mt
(was ) s
BOLD
usertime btime sub 0.001 mul str cvs s  %Print out the time in seconds.
NORMAL
( seconds.) s
grestore
showpage