[comp.sys.mac] net bitch part 2 of 2

holla@gt-eedsp.gatech.edu (Craig Hollabaugh) (07/20/89)

comments from a frustrated net reader.

part 2 of 2
  many of the technical questions asked are better suited for tech support
  of companies involved. i know that it's hard to find someone who
  knows whats going on. they're out there, someone designs this
  stuff.

  along the same lines, don't bitch about companies who don't have
  a clue about your problem. you simply have not talked to the right
  person. try again and again and again.

  many of these questions dealing with features of software and hardware
  can easily be answered by visiting a computer store. this is a better
  approach because you can be positive that it works like you want.

  look at archives first, maybe just maybe someone has already dealt
  with your problem.

  so my orginal question stands, has the net always been this busy?
  i think this is a great facility for conversation, comments, and
  questions. many problems are solved and information dispersed.
  i am fustrated by many of the questions and the attitude that
  we have the time sit around and reply to these questions.

  are there others that feel the same way?  please post your bitches
  about the net to net and about me to me.  maybe by mentioning,
  the number of posting will decrease.

  Thank goodness for the highlighting of the subject line.

  craig
  holla@eedsp.gatech.edu

boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (John Boswell) (07/20/89)

All I have to say is stop whining about the traffic in the newsgroup.  If it
is too much, just don't read it.  It only takes a minute to type "=" at the
beginning of the newsgroup to get a listing of all the subject headers.  Then
simply read those of interest, and then type a "c".

'nuff said.

 John Boswell 			  	 	boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
 Dept. of Chemistry		 		boz@dartCMS1.BITNET
 Dartmouth College, Hangover, Nude Hampster  03755

ted@hpwrce.HP.COM ( Ted Johnson) (07/21/89)

>All I have to say is stop whining about the traffic in the newsgroup.  If it
>is too much, just don't read it.

Seconded!

-Ted

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (07/21/89)

craig writes:

>  many of the technical questions asked are better suited for tech support
>  of companies involved. i know that it's hard to find someone who
>  knows whats going on. they're out there, someone designs this
>  stuff.
>  many of these questions dealing with features of software and hardware
>  can easily be answered by visiting a computer store. this is a better
>  approach because you can be positive that it works like you want.

It does appear that some people post questions to the net before referring
to any other source, but I don't think the fact that another source of
information is available is an argument against posting to the net.  The
net may be the most efficient or most accurate source for some of this
information.  I do agree that the net shouldn't be the first place to look
for product support.

Steven Miller   stevem@hpvcfs1
Vancouver Division
Hewlett Packard

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (07/21/89)

>comments from a frustrated net reader.

  >many of the technical questions asked are better suited for tech support
  >of companies involved. i know that it's hard to find someone who
  >knows whats going on. they're out there, someone designs this
  >stuff.
Just because they are there doesn't mean that they will be reachable
by just anyone. When you call a company's "tech support", you usually
get a busy signal. If not that, a filthy "touch the touchtone key"
chain. Then, when you finixh that, thirty minutes of a radio station
AT LONG DISTANCE RATES. Then you get a "tech support" person who knows
less than you do. Getting a knowledgeable person is a miracle.

>  many of these questions dealing with features of software and hardware
>  can easily be answered by visiting a computer store. this is a better
>  approach because you can be positive that it works like you want.

You must be kidding!!!!!! People at stores know less than  "tech
support persons"! In fact, most of what they seem to know is wrong!

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (07/22/89)

John Boswell writes:

[stuff about how easy it is to get a summary of subject headers, then read
only the net messages of interest]

Well, John, I'm on a private BBS that's tapped in to this net via Ohio
State; we don't have that capability, because we're at the mercy of the
BBS software (Red Ryder Host, in this case).  I don't know how many people
are in my position, who can't get summaries of subject headers, but I know
_I_ sympathize with Craig Hollabaugh, and even share a couple of his
complaints.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix

macgyver@banana.cis.ohio-state.edu (wilson m liaw) (07/23/89)

In article <16569.24C81D4D@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:
>Well, John, I'm on a private BBS that's tapped in to this net via Ohio
>State; we don't have that capability, because we're at the mercy of the
>BBS software (Red Ryder Host, in this case).  I don't know how many people
>are in my position, who can't get summaries of subject headers, but I know
>_I_ sympathize with Craig Hollabaugh, and even share a couple of his
>complaints.

	There are other ways to do it. When you start to read a message,
as soon as you see the sunject line and it doesn't interest you. Hit return.
that would work on Red Ryder Host. True, you can't get the summary of
subject headers. But you would only be reading subject lines for the messages
you don't want to read...

				Mac

-=-
Wilson Mac Liaw                           $  Two sure ways to tell a sexy male;
Internet   : macgyver@cis.ohio-state.edu  $  the first is, he has a bad memory.
CompuServe : 71310,1653                   $  I forget the second :)
GEnie : W.Liaw                            $