[comp.sys.mac] SigmaEdit

singer@endor.harvard.edu (THINK Technologies) (12/14/87)

While this is not an official endorsement, I do have to say that SigmaEdit
is the finest text-editing DA that I have ever seen, and it has become my
main editing DA.

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* Symantec, THINK Technologies Division.  (No snappy quote)         *

dtw@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Duane Williams) (12/14/87)

| While this is not an official endorsement, I do have to say that SigmaEdit
| is the finest text-editing DA that I have ever seen, and it has become my
| main editing DA.
|
| 		--Rich

SigmaEdit has NOT become my main editing DA because I have experienced some
unusual crashes since I started trying it out.  I have reverted to using
miniWriter.  The main difference between SigmaEdit and miniWriter is the 32K
limit in miniWriter and my experience with SigmaEdit leaves me dubious about
its ability to RELIABLY handle large files.

With MultiFinder, there is very little reason anymore to use a DA editor,
especially with large files.

Duane
(dtw@cs.cmu.edu)

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (12/14/87)

in article <3539@husc6.harvard.edu>, singer@endor.harvard.edu says:

> While this is not an official endorsement, I do have to say that SigmaEdit
> is the finest text-editing DA that I have ever seen, and it has become my
> main editing DA.
>
> 		--Rich

Is this shareware, PD, commercial, or what? Could it be downloaded to
comp.mac.binaries?

Speaking of DAs, is there a better MacDraw DA than scribbler?

--
Peter Steele Acadia Univ. Wolfville NS Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121
UUCP:{uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}dalcs!aucs!Peter BITNET:Peter@Acadia

g099508030ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000001608;0;190;142;) (12/15/87)

If your version of SigmaEdit is crashing when you choose the About...
menu command it is because of bad variable passing to _ModalDialog.
To fix it use FEdit and search for:

   306E FFFA 2F08 A991

and change to:

   4E71 486E FFFA A991

This patch will make the dialog come up properly.

J. Deline, Dept. of Chemistry, UCD

kateley@apple.UUCP (Jim Kateley) (12/16/87)

In article <650@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>Is this shareware, PD, commercial, or what? Could it be downloaded to
>comp.mac.binaries?

I posted it a couple of days ago, so it should be here any time...

--

Jim Kateley
Applelink: kateley1

Disclaimer:   What I say, think, or smell does not reflect any policy or
	      stray thought by Apple Computer, Inc.

Remember:
When you smile :-), the world smiles with you,
When you frown :-(, the : and - keys think they are getting picked on

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (12/17/87)

In article <7023@apple.UUCP> kateley@apple.UUCP (Jim Kateley) writes:
>In article <650@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>>Is this shareware, PD, commercial, or what? Could it be downloaded to
>>comp.mac.binaries?
>>
>I posted it a couple of days ago, so it should be here any time...

And it *is* great...  a tribute to Think's CAPPS code.  This is what TEdit
should have been from the beginning.  The only things I'd still like to see are
multiple file editing, and an About box that doesn't bomb.  The latter can be
solved by using FEdit to search for:

   306E FFFA 2F08 A991

and change it to:

   4E71 486E FFFA A991

The former... well, how about it Leonard?

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) (12/21/87)

In article <3539@husc6.harvard.edu> singer@endor.UUCP (THINK Technologies) writes:
>While this is not an official endorsement, I do have to say that SigmaEdit
>is the finest text-editing DA that I have ever seen, and it has become my
>main editing DA.
>
>		--Rich

It sounds quite useful - could someone post it?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Jason Haines, President

Club Mac Macintosh Users Group, Sydney, Australia
Phone Home: +61-2-73-4444
Snail:      Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW, 2006, Australia
ACSnet:     clubmac@runx.ips.oz	   ARPA:   clubmac%runx.ips.oz@uunet.css.gov
UUCP:{enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,uunet,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.ips.oz!clubmac

drew@wolf.UUCP (Drew Dean) (12/23/87)

I've seen a lot of posts about SigmaEdit, and it sounds very useful.  However,
it never appeared in comp.binaries.mac at my site, so could someone please
Email to me ?  Also, I'd apperciate a good copy of the StuffIt 1.20 docs, if
anyone has time to mail them....

Merry Christmas
Thanks,
Drew Dean
UUCP: {sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!drew
FROM Disclaimers IMPORT StandardDisclaimer;

drew@wolf.UUCP (Drew Dean) (01/12/88)

To all who sent email asking for SigmaEdit:
	Due to the fact I'm an amatuer (sp?) at this and I still can't get
smail's reply command to work (after I've entered the text, how do I get the
#@! thing to actually send the reply ?), and the fact that I received 8 separate
messages asking for SigmaEdit, I'm going to try to post it comp.binaries.mac.
This may or may not be successful, but given the interest in the program, I
think it's the best thing to do.  If anyone has gotten an item posted there (I
know it's a moderated group), can you please give specfic instructions ?
My first two attempts will be to post to the group and hope my readnews is smart
enough to send it to the moderator, and my second try will be email to the
moderator.   Any help anyone can give will not only be greatly appreciated by me
but also by the many waiting for SigmaEdit, which really is wonderful....

Drew Dean
UUCP: {sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!drew
FROM Disclaimers IMPORT StandardDisclaimer;
PS. If anyone can give me a path from me to the comp.binaries.mac moderator,
that would be a great help ....

drew@wolf.UUCP (Drew Dean) (01/23/88)

To all who want SigmaEdit:
	I had a completely overwhelming response, and am not capable of sending
it to all of you.  I have attempted to get it to the moderator of comp.binaries.
mac in several ways, and am waiting to see it posted there.
Please, if you want it, bug the moderator, and ask him to send me email if he
has any problems with what I sent him {maybe "bug" is the wrong word, but you
know what I mean}.
Thanks,
Drew Dean
UUCP: {sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!drew
FROM Disclaimers IMPORT StandardDisclaimer;

jack@cs.hw.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (01/29/88)

Expires:

In article <623@wolf.UUCP> drew@wolf.UUCP (Drew Dean) writes:
>  I have attempted to get it to the moderator of comp.binaries.
>mac in several ways, and am waiting to see it posted there.

He is not alone in having trouble there.
Has anyone ever managed to get to the moderator from Europe?
If so, how?
My attempts have just dropped into a black hole - not even bounced.
--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs       USENET: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack

robertj@yale-zoo-suned..arpa (Rob Jellinghaus) (01/31/88)

In article <1661@brahma.cs.hw.ac.uk> jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) writes:
>In article <623@wolf.UUCP> drew@wolf.UUCP (Drew Dean) writes:
>>  I have attempted to get it to the moderator of comp.binaries.
>>mac in several ways, and am waiting to see it posted there.
>
>He is not alone in having trouble there.
>Has anyone ever managed to get to the moderator from Europe?
>If so, how?
>My attempts have just dropped into a black hole - not even bounced.

I don't know about Europe, but I'm not sure if I can reach the moderator
from America!  I recently posted a seven-part demo of the game Crystal
Quest to comp.binaries.mac (having been told that posting it there would
automatically forward it to the moderator).  No sign of it yet, and no
acknowledgement from the moderator.

Is it possible that comp.binaries.mac could be set up such that posters
could get some feedback on whether their posting has been received and
when it might be sent out on the newsgroup??  Every couple of months
a flurry of messages shows up expressing uncertainty and frustration
about the mechanics of comp.binaries.mac, and some simple feedback
might alleviate the whole problem.

This might be a nice idea for the moderators of the Info-Mac digest,
too; I sent the same demo off to them, and no response (not even a
bounce).  Perhaps the moderators don't post most of what they receive
(which is completely understandable), but if my stuff is not going to
be posted, I would appreciate a note to that effect.

>ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
>JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs       USENET: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack
>Mail: Jack Campin, Computing Science Department, University of Glasgow,
>      17 Lilybank Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland (041 339 8855 x 6045)

Rob Jellinghaus                | "This is the Varicorp building right
jellinghaus@yale.edu.UUCP      | outside Virgil.  It's cool.  It's a
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET | multi-purpose shape: a box."
!..!ihnp4!hsi!yale!jellinghaus |                -- David Byrne

ben@tasis.utas.oz.au@munnari.oz (Ben Lian) (07/20/89)

I gather from recent postings that SigmaEdit by Leonard Rosenthal is into
version 3.8. Questions:

  (1) Is this the latest version?
  (2) Is it still in the public domain?
  (3) How do I get it?

-- bl

Benjamin Y H Lian             ACSnet: ben@tasis.utas.oz
Dept. of EE & CS              ARPA  : ben%tasis.utas.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
University of Tasmania        BITnet: munnari!tasis.utas.oz!ben@
GPO Box 252C                          uunet.uu.net
Hobart, Tasmania 7001         UUCP  : {enea,hplabs,mcvax,uunet,ukc}!
A U S T R A L I A                     munnari!tasis.utas.oz!ben

Tel:  +61-02-202380           Fax:  +61-02-202713

"Fortunately the computer virus did no harm to our records.  It was
immediately devoured by all the bugs in our programming."

-- Cartoon, CW Australia

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (07/22/89)

In article <963@diemen.cc.utas.oz>, ben@tasis.utas.oz.au@munnari.oz (Ben Lian) writes:
> I gather from recent postings that SigmaEdit by Leonard Rosenthal is into
> version 3.8. Questions:
>
>   (1) Is this the latest version?
>   (2) Is it still in the public domain?
>   (3) How do I get it?

	The last publically distributed version was 1.12 which at last check
still had some known problems (lots of them actually :-).  Unfortunately, I
have been hard at work on other software for the last year and have not really
done anything with SigmaEdit is that time.  I am completing work on my current
project and at its completion I will be releasing a new version which should
correct many/all of the known problems that have been reported over the years.
	It is NOT public domain, however it is (and will remain) freeware! I
may be coming out with another 'word processor' program later this year which
may not be freeware, but SigmaEdit will always be freeware.
	I believe that v1.12 is available at some/all of major archives such as
Sumex and Rascal.
	I thank those who contiue to use SigmaEdit and I apologize for my 'lack'
of support during the past year.

Leonard Rosenthol
LazerWare, inc.

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) (07/23/89)

The latest version of SigmaEdit is not 3.8 but 1.12 (actually says both 1.11
and 1.12 on it).  It is available at better BBSs near you...

Ray

Ray Terry                            Hewlett Packard Company  /HPG200/02
GEnie : R.Terry                      MacNET: Ray
Packet: N6PHJ @ N6IIU                UUCP  : sun!hpda!hpcupt1!rterry
Domain: rterry%hpda@hplabs.hp.com    SysOp : MacScience BBS (408) 866-4933
IPaddr: 44.4.0.214 N6PHJ.norcal.ampr CIS   : 71150,735
                 Standard disclaimers, etc. apply...