[comp.sys.mac] I need a BBS system!

edl@trwind.UUCP (Ed Leonhardt ext 336) (07/18/89)

Hello NetFolks!

I need a good Buletin Board System for a micro, since we have a few Mac's
around here I was thinking of a Mac based BBS.  But, I have not heard all
that much, if any, info about Macintosh BBS systems.

Do they support filesharing? What would be the best machine configuration?
Is source code available? Any other questions I need to ask?

Also, if possible please send any docs that you may have just lyin' around.

Thanks in advance for any gratuitous responses that I may receive,

-edl-

!trwrb!trwind!edl edl@trwind.ind.TRW.COM  *********** *******  ****  ****  ****
                                         *********** ********* **** ***** ****
TRW Information Networks Division                         ****
Ed Leonhardt, Building 153 Lobby           ****    **** ****   *************
23800 Hawthorne Boulevard                 ****    ****   ****  ***** ******
Torrance, CA 90505                       ****    ****     **** ****  *****
--

U.S. Mail:        ARPA:                    *********** *******  ****  ****  ****
Ed Leonhardt      edl@trwind.ind.TRW.COM  *********** ********* **** ***** ****

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (07/24/89)

In article <555@trwind.UUCP> edl@trwind.UUCP (Ed Leonhardt ext 336) writes:
>I need a good Buletin Board System for a micro, since we have a few Mac's
>around here I was thinking of a Mac based BBS.  But, I have not heard all
>that much, if any, info about Macintosh BBS systems.
>Do they support filesharing? What would be the best machine configuration?
>Is source code available? Any other questions I need to ask?

I know of a HyperCard stack called HyperBBS, which is basically a simple
BBS host software package.  It is PD, and should be available from BBSs
(I know BCS/Mac has it, too).  It includes the HyperTalk source (obviously),
and my understanding is that the only XCMDs and XFCNs it uses are the ones
in Apple's Serial XCMD package (serial port interface XCMDs), which come
with source code.  Although I haven't seen it myself, it is freeware, and
therefore it costs you nothing to take a look at it.  It is also easily
extensible (being written in HyperTalk), and the sysop runs things via
a graphical interface.  From the user's point of view, it is a standard
text-based BBS, although there are plans for a HyperBBS client program, which
then would allow icon-based navigation (a la AppleLink) from Macs only.
It would still work as text from other machines.  Once the client is out,
you could conceivably write similar clients for other machines, which would
be especially easy given the growing amount of HyperText programs out there
(Owl's Guide on the PC, and HyperStudio on the IIgs, and there might be
something planned for the lower II line).  It could eventually develop into
a very nice system.

-Ivan

Internet: captkidd@athena.mit.edu