[comp.sys.mac] Hard drive woes

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (07/11/89)

I'm having a lot of trouble with my internal Rodime 1400RX.  When I try
to fill it with files copied from the old drive I'm replacing, and I
get to some point on the drive (not sure where) I can't copy anything
else onto it.

The symptoms?  When I try to Finder-copy ANYTHING on, even something
small, the Finder hangs at the "Updating desktop file..." stage of the
copy procedure.  Everything has seemed to copy properly until that point,
but when I eventually restart the machine, obviously none of the files
I've just copied are visible.

I'd really like to be able to use all the space I paid for.  Does anyone
know what might be wrong with this drive?

I've reinstalled the Rodime driver, and even erased the disk using Disk
Express' Erase Disk command.  Is there something else I can try short of
reformatting the disk entirely?  I'd rather leave my partitions the way
they are... a couple of them can't be conveniently backed up.

--
Mark H. Anbinder        ************************** mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
Baka Industries                                 ** (biar!)memory!mha.uucp

syzy@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (07/11/89)

   I have also noticed a problem in copying files to my Jasmine DD100.  In the
midst of organizing, I noticed that after a certain point, I could not copy
any more files to the hard drive.  The problem wasn't consistent in terms
of number of files that already existed on the hard drive.  I know there's
some limit placed on the number of files that can exist, whether on a floppy
or a hard drive due to the file numbering system (I forget what that limit is)
but from what I remember, it's some extraordinarily large number - so I can't
see how I could have exceeded it.  I haven't noticed anything else peculiar
about it so I don't believe there is anything wrong with the drive itself.
Anyone have any ideas?

Don Lee
Bitnet   : SYZY @ CRNLVAX5
Internet : SYZY @ vax5.cit.cornell.edu

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (07/11/89)

In article <8367@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
>I'm having a lot of trouble with my internal Rodime 1400RX.  When I try
>to fill it with files copied from the old drive I'm replacing, and I
>get to some point on the drive (not sure where) I can't copy anything
>else onto it.
>
>The symptoms?  When I try to Finder-copy ANYTHING on, even something
>small, the Finder hangs at the "Updating desktop file..." stage of the
>copy procedure.  Everything has seemed to copy properly until that point,
>but when I eventually restart the machine, obviously none of the files
>I've just copied are visible.

The fault lies not in the drive but in the Mac OS.  The problem you're
experiencing is due to the fact that the Desktop file, which sort of
keeps track of directory information, icons, etc., has a maximum number
of resources it can handle.  When too many files are on the disk, it
simply gets corrupted.

The short-term solution is to use Desktop Manager, which comes with
AppleShare.  There are some trade-offs, but it allows you to put a lot
more files on your hard disk.

The long-term solution will come from Apple in the form of System 7.0,
which, I believe, addresses the Desktop file problem.

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

barry@primerd.prime.com (07/16/89)

The fact that the DeskTop file is a resource file limits a hard
drive to about 2200 files.  One way out is to partition the
hard drive.  SUM contains a utility for doing this.  Alsoft,
makes of DiskExpress, also sell one.  There are probably others.
Barry Wolman                      | barry@s66.prime.com
Principal Technical Consultant    | 492 Old Connecticut Path
Prime Computer                    | Framingham, MA 01701
                                  | 508/626-1700, ext. 4187
Nothing in this posting reflects an official position of Prime Computer.

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (07/17/89)

I thought the only limit imposed by the finder is on the number of
icons.  Is this limit 2200?  What happens when you run out of icons?
What happens when you run out of files?

HONORS@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (07/24/89)

In article <160700044@primerd>, barry@primerd.prime.com writes:
> The fact that the DeskTop file is a resource file limits a hard
> drive to about 2200 files.  One way out is to partition the
> hard drive.  SUM contains a utility for doing this.  Alsoft,
> makes of DiskExpress, also sell one.  There are probably others.

You should note that NOT ALL HARD DRIVE PARTITIONING PROGRAMS ARE THE SAME!
SUM's HD Partition, for example, creates a new file on your hard drive for each
partition you create, and then stores all the files for that partition in that
one large disk file.  This is markedly inferior (in most situations) to a true
SCSI partition, like the A/UX partitions you can create with Apple's SCSI setup
program.  I'm not familiar with other partitioning programs; has anyone else
used one?
                   Travis Butler

bklaas@cmdfs2.intel.com (Brian Klaas~) (07/24/89)

In article <6354@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> HONORS@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

   In article <160700044@primerd>, barry@primerd.prime.com writes:
   > The fact that the DeskTop file is a resource file limits a hard
   > drive to about 2200 files.  One way out is to partition the
   > hard drive.  SUM contains a utility for doing this.  Alsoft,
   > makes of DiskExpress, also sell one.  There are probably others.

   You should note that NOT ALL HARD DRIVE PARTITIONING PROGRAMS ARE THE SAME!
   SUM's HD Partition, for example, creates a new file on your hard drive for
   each partition you create, and then stores all the files for that partition
   in that one large disk file.  This is markedly inferior (in most situations)
   to a true SCSI partition, like the A/UX partitions you can create with
   Apple's SCSI setup program.  I'm not familiar with other partitioning
   programs; has anyone else used one?

                 Travis Butler

The software that comes with Jasmine drives allows true partitioning.
Not sure if it will work with any other drives.  It requires
reinitializing a drive to set it up for partitions.

* Brian Klaas, Design Engineer       *  DISCLAIMER:  All opinions            *
* Intel Corporation                  *      stated here are strictly my own. *
* InterNET:    bklaas%sedona.intel.com@relay.cs.NET                          *
*     UUCP:                                                                  *
* {hplabs,decwrl,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel,amdcad}!intelca!mipos3!sedona!bklaas   *
* US Snail:    Brian Klaas, 5000 W. Chandler Blvd, Mailstop CH3-69,          *
*              Phoenix, AZ  85226                                            *
*                                      DATCLAIMER:  I didn't say nothing     *