[comp.sys.mac] Mac mouse in VersaTerm vs RR10.3

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) (07/11/89)

Can anyone tell me about the mouse in VersaTerm?  Can you select text?
Can you use the mouse for coursor moves?  Does the terminal somehow
'forget' that there is a mouse attached like in RR?

I cannot stand RR anymore.  The VT100 emulation sucks.  It seems to
forget where the mouse os all the time, and half the tie the mouse
doesn't work IN THE SAME EMACS SESSION!

sigh...

nrg

--
York University          |"_Wanting_ to think is one thing;
Department of Philosophy |      having a talent for thinking another"

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (07/12/89)

In article <2637@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) writes:
>Can anyone tell me about the mouse in VersaTerm?  Can you select text?
>Can you use the mouse for coursor moves?  Does the terminal somehow
>'forget' that there is a mouse attached like in RR?

     Yes, yes, yes, no.

>I cannot stand RR anymore.  The VT100 emulation sucks.  It seems to
>forget where the mouse os all the time, and half the tie the mouse
>doesn't work IN THE SAME EMACS SESSION!

     I am a confirmed VersaTerm PRO user, and have been since the
program first came out.  The VT100 emulation is excellent, except it
doesn't do some of the less useful text modes like blinking or
double-width.  You can do all sorts of things with the mouse:

     Double-click a word.  The word plus a carriage return is pasted
to the serial port.  Handy for repeating commands.  Shift-double-click
does the same, but with no carriage return.  Handy for composing new
commands.

     You can configure the mouse to send emacs-style, vi-style, or
ANSI-style cursor key commands.

     You can configure the mouse to be "live" when the option key is
depressed, or "live" all the time.

     The mouse continues to work throughout emacs sessions.

     I hear the VersaTerm VT100 emulation is just as good as the
VersaTerm PRO VT100.

Earle R. Horton
"People forget how fast you did a job, but they remember how well you
did it."  Salada Tag Lines

z8my@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (07/12/89)

In article <2637@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) writes:
>Can anyone tell me about the mouse in VersaTerm?  Can you select text?
>Can you use the mouse for coursor moves?  Does the terminal somehow
>'forget' that there is a mouse attached like in RR?

The mouse support is fairly good in VersaTerm.  You can select text, and
if stuff comes in, it doesn't get lost, and the selected text remains
selected.  It also has a "smart mouse" feature, where you click on a point
(with the option key held down--may be configurable, don't remember) and
VersaTerm generates a sequence of characters to move the cursor to that
location.  This works with anything that has (a) arrow keys (b) vi style
bindings, (c) EMACS style bindings.

>I cannot stand RR anymore.  The VT100 emulation sucks.  It seems to
>forget where the mouse os all the time, and half the tie the mouse
>doesn't work IN THE SAME EMACS SESSION!

And VersaTerm has solid VT100 emultaion...

>sigh...
>

>nrg
>
>--
>York University          |"_Wanting_ to think is one thing;
>Department of Philosophy |      having a talent for thinking another"
>Toronto, Ontario, Canada |                          - L. Wittgenstein (CV 44)
>_____________________________________________________________________________

Samuel Paik			d65y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
surviving college student--anyone looking for a computer engineer/programmer
			   in two years?

eynon@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Barry Eynon) (07/12/89)

In article <2637@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) writes:
>Can anyone tell me about the mouse in VersaTerm?  Can you select text?
>Can you use the mouse for coursor moves?  Does the terminal somehow
>'forget' that there is a mouse attached like in RR?

You can select, copy and paste text from anywhere in the scrollback buffer
with Versaterm. There even is a convenient Copy-Paste command to retrieve
old input lines, etc. You can also print or save any selection to a file,
print or file the incoming stream, or send a file as input to the host as
a text stream.

With the option key held down, the clicking the cursor sends a set of
keystrokes to move the host cursor to the point clicked at. You have
the option of sending arrow keys, vi keys, or emacs keys.

>I cannot stand RR anymore.  The VT100 emulation sucks.  It seems to
>forget where the mouse os all the time, and half the tie the mouse
>doesn't work IN THE SAME EMACS SESSION!

Versaterm has been solid for a long time. Version 4.0 is just out
with some nice enhancements, but I switched a long time ago, and
never regretted it for a moment.

-Barry Eynon
eynon@lindy.stanford.edu

P.S. For those complaining about Microphone, it offers a choice of Underline
or Block cursor, either blinking or nonblinking.

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (07/13/89)

In article <2637@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) writes:
>Can anyone tell me about the mouse in VersaTerm?  Can you select text?

  Yes. Clicking and dragging anywhere in the terminal window selects text.
Command-/ (or double-clicking a selection) copies to the clipboard AND
pastes to the terminal window in one shot.

>Can you use the mouse for coursor moves?  Does the terminal somehow

  Yes, if the option key is held down while clicking the mouse, the cursor
is moved to that location. The mouse-controlled cursor movement can be
configured for vi, emacs, or plain 'arrow' cursor control. Naturally, the
arrow keys on your keyboard move the cursor properly as well.

>I cannot stand RR anymore.  The VT100 emulation sucks.  It seems to
>forget where the mouse os all the time, and half the tie the mouse
>doesn't work IN THE SAME EMACS SESSION!

  VersaTerm's VT100 emulation has been flawless, in my experience. (Your
definition of 'flawless' may vary, mine is simply "it works consistently,
reliably, and exactly as I expect it to.")

  VersaTerm's Kermit implementation also works flawlessly, and it's fast.

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (GuestRA) (07/14/89)

VersaTerm handles the mouse just fine (in version 4.0, the most recent one).
It has a couple of options for configuration.  I set mine up so that the
emacs mouse is the default.  For text selection (Mac side), you hold down
the option key and then get the insertion bar cursor.  I don't think it
works for emacs selection, just moving around.
Ron Guest

straka@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (richard.j.straka) (07/24/89)

In article <18995@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> z8my@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Samuel Paik) writes:
>In article <2637@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) writes:
>>Can anyone tell me about the mouse in VersaTerm?  Can you select text?
>>Can you use the mouse for coursor moves?  Does the terminal somehow
>>'forget' that there is a mouse attached like in RR?
>
>The mouse support is fairly good in VersaTerm.  You can select text, and

A further neat feature is that if you double-click, the word that is selected
gets sent to the host.  Therefore, you can save a lot of typing if you need
to edit a file that has a 23 billion character file name.  Just type "emacs"
or "vi" <doubleclick filename on that 'lf' you just did>, and presto!

Pretty neat little feature.